Astronomers Discover Incredibly Rare ‘Fossil Cloud’ Created Minutes After the Big Bang

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
Astrophysicists hypothesised that it happened. Then they calculated what would happen then. And then they observed the universe to see if things unfolded as their calculations said it would. Where there were discrepancies they fine tuned their calcs again and again and at each step we have learned a bit more. That is the scientific method in action.

Although often the hypothesis in fact follows some original observations and questions as to what caused that which was observed.

But it is purely theoretical. It gets at me when people speak of these things w/ such certainty. We do not know. It is not possible. It is a guess, be it an educated guess. it is still just a guess. It is just as likely that we are living in a simulation.

Apr 2013
La La Land North
But it is purely theoretical. It gets at me when people speak of these things w/ such certainty. We do not know. It is not possible. It is a guess, be it an educated guess. it is still just a guess. It is just as likely that we are living in a simulation.
I guess you totally missed the use of "observations" there two times.

Does your area have English as a Second Language and remedial reading classes?

Jul 2014
massachusetts
They actually see these things, this isn't theory, this is observation.

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
I guess you totally missed the use of "observations" there two times.

Does your area have English as a Second Language and remedial reading classes?

Holy shit!!!!

They observed the big bang? This is seriously a big deal. I would have thought this would be front page news, not on some internet message board.

Jul 2014
massachusetts
Holy shit!!!!

They observed the big bang? This is seriously a big deal. I would have thought this would be front page news, not on some internet message board.
Oh that's right, you were never swayed by the evidence of the Big Bang. Because "Science" is something you don't really get.

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
Oh that's right, you were never swayed by the evidence of the Big Bang. Because "Science" is something you don't really get.

Lol. You guys. You sit on here and tease the religious people left and right then turn around and do the same shit. There is more evidence of the biblical flood than the big bang.

There are several alternative models that attempt to explain the development of the universe, though none of them have as wide an acceptance as the big bang theory:

• The steady-state model of the universe suggests the universe always had and will always have the same density. The theory reconciles the apparent evidence that the universe is expanding by suggesting that the universe generates matter at a rate proportionate to the universe's rate of expansion.
  • The Ekpyrotic model suggests our universe is the result of a collision of two three-dimensional worlds on a hidden fourth dimension. It doesn't conflict with the big bang theory completely, as after a certain amount of time it aligns with the events described in the big bang theory.
  • The big bounce theory suggests our universe is one of a series of universes that first expand, then contract again. The cycle repeats after several billion years.
  • Plasma cosmology attempts to describe the universe in terms of the electrodynamic properties of the universe. Plasma is an ionized gas, which means it's a gas with free roaming electrons that can conduct electricity.
There are several other models as well. Could one of these theories (or other ones we haven't even thought of) one day replace the big bang theory as the accepted model of the universe? It's quite possible. As time passes and our capability to study the universe increases, we'll be able to make more accurate models of how the universe developed.

How the Big Bang Theory Works

But hey, they named a cute little tv show after it, so it's settled, right?

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
Even your high priest, tv evangelist N.D. Tyson gives it a 50/50 chance that we are living in a simulation.

If you, me and every person and thing in the cosmos were actually characters in some giant computer game, we would not necessarily know it. The idea that the universe is a simulation sounds more like the plot of “The Matrix,” but it is also a legitimate scientific hypothesis. Researchers pondered the controversial notion Tuesday at the annual Isaac Asimov Memorial Debate here at the American Museum of Natural History.

Moderator Neil deGrasse Tyson, director of the museum’s Hayden Planetarium, put the odds at 50-50 that our entire existence is a program on someone else’s hard drive. “I think the likelihood may be very high,” he said. He noted the gap between human and chimpanzee intelligence, despite the fact that we share more than 98 percent of our DNA. Somewhere out there could be a being whose intelligence is that much greater than our own. “We would be drooling, blithering idiots in their presence,” he said. “If that’s the case, it is easy for me to imagine that everything in our lives is just a creation of some other entity for their entertainment.”

Are We Living in a Computer Simulation?

Oct 2010
Colorado
Ok.

Please explain how the scientific method could possibly apply to the big bang theory.
"The process of the scientific method involves making conjectures (hypotheses), deriving predictions from them as logical consequences, and then carrying out experiments or empirical observations based on those predictions."
Do you understand anything about the Big Bang theory? Probably not, because if you did you would not ask the stupid question you asked above.

The subject of this thread is an example of how the scientific method was applied to the BBT.

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
Ok.

Please explain how the scientific method could possibly apply to the big bang theory.
The scientific method, in a nut shell, starts with a suggestion or idea. An individual comes up with an idea. From there they ask themselves, "Well if this idea is true, I should expect to find evidence for A, B, C, and D." They then create a model or formula to test their idea and find out if indeed they can find evidence for A, B, C, and D. If they are successful, the idea becomes a hypothesis.

From here the individual writes a paper to share their hypothesis, model and evidence with the scientific community. The community replicates the research, builds the same models, builds new models, attempting to see if they same A, B, C, and D evidence is produced. If the same evidence is produced (this is what's known as "demonstrable") the hypothesis graduates to a theory.

To be clear, the scientific method does not try to determine absolute certainty. A theory is the best possible explanation given the data that is available.

The Big Bang Theory is the leading cosmological model that explains how the observable universe came into existence. The model also provides explanations for previously unexplained phenomena in the universe. The below article from UCLA gives a brief summary for said phenomena:

Frequently Asked Questions in Cosmology