Astronomers Just Detected The Universe Is Expanding Much Faster Than It Should Be

Mar 2019
Texas
"The Hubble tension between the early and late Universe may be the most exciting development in cosmology in decades," said astrophysicist Adam Riess of the Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI) and Johns Hopkins University.

"This mismatch has been growing and has now reached a point that is really impossible to dismiss as a fluke. This disparity could not plausibly occur by chance."

Which means that there's something out there that we've missed. As a study last year deriving the Hubble Constant using black holes proposed, the acceleration could be the result of an increase in the density of dark energy.

This mysterious form of energy is thought to constitute around 70 percent of the matter-energy density of the Universe, and is the current most accepted explanation for the acceleration of the Universe's growth.
science alert

So yet again scienceers have been proven to be touting theories as fact all this time. I have always believed that time dilation could be the missing key between the two major schools of thought on the age of the universe. Science and religion just got a bit closer.

Sep 2015
Brown Township, Ohio
science alert

So yet again scienceers have been proven to be touting theories as fact all this time. I have always believed that time dilation could be the missing key between the two major schools of thought on the age of the universe. Science and religion just got a bit closer.
That is called Dark Energy and more confusing than Dark Matter. Effects of a parallel universe, perhaps. According to M-Theory when they touch Big Bang but you won't see it coming so bend over and kiss your ass, gone. A Black Hole has a new name, Gravatar and Pluto got kicked out of Planet Status which angered Clyde Tombaugh on his death bed.

Last edited:
Feb 2007
USA
Here is the actual study that has been cited in the OP, the results of which potentially just somewhat refine our understanding of the current expansion rate of the universe, and of which does not somehow in any way disprove the Big Bang theory.:

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1903.07603.pdf

But I guess some of the more religious folks around here try their darned best to attack anything that doesn't seem to match their subjective religious beliefs.

:rolleyes:

Mar 2019
Texas
Here is the actual study that has been cited in the OP, the results of which potentially just somewhat refine our understanding of the current expansion rate of the universe, and of which does not somehow in any way disprove the Big Bang theory.:

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1903.07603.pdf

But I guess some of the more religious folks around here try their darned best to attack anything that doesn't seem to match their subjective religious beliefs.

:rolleyes:
BS

No one has made any such claim!

Strange how a user named baloney detector brings baloney into the thread.

The differences noted in the op have to do with TIME and not cause of creation.

This should have been obvious for anyone without a chip on their shoulder.

The main point i see this has is now scienceers believe the universe is much younger than previously thought...until the next big break through in understanding comes again for scienceers.

Oct 2010
Colorado
science alert

Scienceers have never been touting that the Standard Model is fact, like religion touts its canons as divine truth. Scientists have been upfront about their inability to reconcile relativity and quantum theory. They've been upfront about their inability to define dark energy and dark matter.

What makes you say that this discovery of an error in the expansion rate of the universe closes the enormous gap between the Judeo-Christian Bible-based age of the universe and science's estimation of the universe's age?