At least 12 dead after disgruntled employee opens fire at Virginia Beach municipal center

Nov 2012
Rhondda
Nonsense. Your argument is that firearm violence is a way for politicians to solve interpersonal disagreement?
Canada is more similar to the US than any other culture. Once more, the pro-gun "reasoning" is shown to be pure nonsensical fabrication and a desperate attempt to imitate reason.
In the United States, though, a remarkably backward social custom seems to have been kept up (or revived?) in a way it hasn't been in Canada, or anywhere else really. The point is about guns and politics is that they don't achieve anything serious (though guerrilla struggles can wear down colonial rule) and the drama can feel good. We made two interesting attempts here, back in the Chartist days. Around 1830, the struggle for middle-class votes coincided with heavy working-class distress in Merthyr, and they had the usual performance, with a tearful orator declaring (in our language) that 'all we want is bread', at which the crowd, not being English, shouted 'Caws gyda fara! Caws gyda fara!' ('Cheese with the bread', meaning they wanted more than that). Soon troops were firing on the crowd, as was customary, a crowd being supposed to die touchingly; instead they fired back, and the soldiers ran to barricade themselves into the house of one of the big ironmasters. For two days the people controlled Merthyr. destrained goods were given back to the poor, and relief troops from Merthyr and Swansea were disarmed, partly be ancestors of mine. The Gwent miners marched up to support the Rising, but were turned back by troops, and the people lost their nerve. All this feels good to remember, but it didn't achieve much. About ten years later, the local Chartist leaders were arrested in Newport, and Gwent armed and marched (including, naturally, other ancestors). Unfortunately, God is a tory: it pissed down all night, people got slowed up, and when the vanguard got outside the Westgate Hotel they were ambushed by (Irish!) troops, and after a gun-battle, withdrew.

My point with this historical stuff is that it makes me feel good to recount it, but it was a tactical washout. We learned to go for the vote, or the general strike, whereas America has been prosperous enough just to wallow in fairly fake history and actual McCarthyite brainwashing. In the long run, I think, people learn from adversity rather than trumpish fat, and the practical effect of the bang-bangs is to drive the murder rate sky high.

Last edited:
Jul 2008
Virginia Beach, VA
If an actual criminal wants a gun, he can steal a cop's gun or burglarize a couple of houses and get some. He can even make his own in a few minutes. All he needs is the ammo. There are countless ways to inflict great bodily harm on someone. How will you ever be able to eliminate all of them?
Perfect is the enemy of Good.

I don't want to ban all weapons or ban all methods of inflicting bodily harm.

I do, however, want something that is going to stop a madman from stockpiling dozens of weapons and then using them to shoot at concert goers from hundreds of feet away with a ROF capable of killing over 50 and wounding hundreds more.

Jul 2018
Earth
Perfect is the enemy of Good.

I don't want to ban all weapons or ban all methods of inflicting bodily harm.

I do, however, want something that is going to stop a madman from stockpiling dozens of weapons and then using them to shoot at concert goers from hundreds of feet away with a ROF capable of killing over 50 and wounding hundreds more.
Just think of such events as examples of Revelation 6:9-11 (TLV) in action =
"9 When the Lamb opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those slaughtered for the sake of the word of God and for the witness they had. 10 And they cried out with a loud voice, saying, “O Sovereign Master, holy and true, how long before You judge those who dwell on the earth and avenge our blood?”

11 Then a white robe was given to each of them, and they were told to rest a little while longer, until the number of their fellow servants was complete—their brothers and sisters who were to be killed as they had been."

Jesus wants people to be killed. He demands it.

Dec 2018
New England
It has nothing to do with "blithering nonsense." (BTW, I love the word blithering, well done!)

Trump actions and words support violance in a way we have never seen in our lifetime from about anyone in DC, certainly never from a President.

Much of what you perceive as TDS is really your aversion to identifying with many of the attributes your president shows.
It is your sub-conscience and conscience mind in conflict so your conscience mind looks to find a reason to invalidate what you know to be true.

I am not sure you understand this or not but this happens to us all the time. In your case it is manifested here, in this way.
You'll get no argument from me that Trump is thoughtless with this words, but that is not supporting mass murder no matter how much you torture the explanation.

Jul 2018
Trump World! Where the circus is always in town.
You'll get no argument from me that Trump is thoughtless with this words, but that is not supporting mass murder no matter how much you torture the explanation.

This is where you are VERY wrong Nat. Trump is not the fool he is pointed out to be. His words are the reason he is President. He is a master of using the right word/words to elicit the exact response he wants in the sub-conscience of his brood.

I have been trying to explain this to the Trump haters for 3 years now. He is a master of mass psychology, arguably the best the world has ever known. His words are NOT thoughtless. Not at all.

Here is a book that I read 45 years ago in school and have reread several times since. The Mass Psychology of Fascism - Wikipedia
You may find it enlightening.

Dec 2018
New England
Actually MOST Americans want stricter gun control laws. It amazes me how my "friends" on the right continually lie to push a political agenda. Why do they do that? Oh yeah, because REALITY doesn't jibe with conservative "alternative facts". In fact not only do most Americans support stronger gun control, it's NOT EVEN CLOSE (68% vs 25%).

Gun control support surges in polls
Please, just cool your jets and think for a moment. Who's voting in the legislatures that are preserving the nation's existing gun laws, the NRA or the voters of whom I speak?

Nov 2012
Rhondda
This is where you are VERY wrong Nat. Trump is not the fool he is pointed out to be. His words are the reason he is President. He is a master of using the right word/words to elicit the exact response he wants in the sub-conscience of his brood.

I have been trying to explain this to the Trump haters for 3 years now. He is a master of mass psychology, arguably the best the world has ever known. His words are NOT thoughtless. Not at all.

Here is a book that I read 45 years ago in school and have reread several times since. The Mass Psychology of Fascism - Wikipedia
The problem is not whether he knows how to con the mugs but whether he has the faintest notion of what to do with power when he's got it.

Dec 2018
New England

Sorry, disagree. I think Trump is driven far more by selfish impulse than by some master plan.