Atheism & Infant Morality... (and other Statistical Correlations)

Nov 2005
California
Concerning the infant mortality rate specifically (number of deaths per 1,000 live births), irreligious countries have the lowest rates, and religious countries have the highest rates. According to the CIA World Factbook (2004), out of 225 nations, the top 25 nations with the lowest infant mortality rates were all nations containing significantly high percentages of organic atheism. Conversely, the 75 bottom nations with the highest infant mortality rates were all very religious nations without any statistically significant levels of organic atheism. http://www.pitzer.edu/academics/faculty/zuckerman/atheism.html

I think it has something to do with how we view the sanctity of life. You do not have to be religious to hold life in high esteem, and in some cases, religion is counter to holding life in esteem, as it is viewed as a trial or a punishment.

Nov 2005
California
Jefferson said:
Pretty much depends on how you define "religious" and "non-religious".
I would think that would be almost self-explanatory.

"non-religious" being primarily atheist and agnostic, while "religious" would be pretty much everything else.

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/.../2091rank.html

And in addition, we can look directly at the data in question...

Alias said:
Exactly. It also depends on who is counting the numbers and what their agenda is.
Well, considering it's not a Christian political group, I'ld guess we can give it some more credibility right there...

If you're just looking for a reason to blindly discount it, I guess you've got that...

If you're actually curious, you can examine the CIA World Factbook info for yourself at the above link.

Feb 2006
foundit66 said:
I would think that would be almost self-explanatory.

"non-religious" being primarily atheist and agnostic, while "religious" would be pretty much everything else.

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/.../2091rank.html

And in addition, we can look directly at the data in question...

Well, considering it's not a Christian political group, I'ld guess we can give it some more credibility right there...

If you're just looking for a reason to blindly discount it, I guess you've got that...

If you're actually curious, you can examine the CIA World Factbook info for yourself at the above link.

Truth is, the article is really stupid.

There are TOO MANY VARIABLES INVOLVED to make any kind of "connections", other than those the authors WANT to make.

I mean, nevermind that you have HOSPITALS in Germany as opposed to grass huts with mud floors in Zambia. It MUST be the religion!

Nov 2005
California
Jefferson said:
Truth is, the article is really stupid.

There are TOO MANY VARIABLES INVOLVED to make any kind of "connections", other than those the authors WANT to make.

I mean, nevermind that you have HOSPITALS in Germany as opposed to grass huts with mud floors in Zambia. It MUST be the religion!
And that's a great point. Poverty's impact on infant mortality.

You'll note that my title discusses "correlation" and not "causation".

Sep 2005
Is this article trying to make a point of which I am not aware?

As a country becomes more developed and advanced technologically, it tends to have more atheists. Similarly, as a country becomes more advanced technologically, it tends to have a lower infant mortality rate. Besides having a similar cause, I don't know of any relation between atheism and infant mortality rate.

I might also say, "countries with the highest rates of atheism have the highest DVD player sales". And maybe it is true because the most technologically advanced countries purchase the most DVD players. They have the same root cause. But can we put this information to any use?

Sep 2005
I think this is a correlation vs. causation issue. The countries with the highest number of self defined atheists tend to be Scandanavian, and those countries have high quality, "free" healthcare. Atheism doesn't reduce birth complications, last time I checked, and neither does religion.

Jun 2005
USA
foundit66 said:
Concerning the infant mortality rate specifically (number of deaths per 1,000 live births), irreligious countries have the lowest rates, and religious countries have the highest rates. According to the CIA World Factbook (2004), out of 225 nations, the top 25 nations with the lowest infant mortality rates were all nations containing significantly high percentages of organic atheism. Conversely, the 75 bottom nations with the highest infant mortality rates were all very religious nations without any statistically significant levels of organic atheism. http://www.pitzer.edu/academics/faculty/zuckerman/atheism.html

I agree with you that this is not a claim of cause, but it does make a point about religion. If religious claims were true, wouldn't God be able to protect infant mortality rates better than technology?