Bam! Fresh Crater Spied on Mars — and It Looks Spectacular

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
I don't know about you, but the idea that at any given moment a meteor could cream your new house in the Martian Way neighborhood just doesn't set too well with me. The earth's atmosphere would have burned or broken up this meteor, but atmosphere is something Mars really doesn't have much of.

A small space rock crashed into the Red Planet's surface recently, producing a fresh crater that researchers estimate is 49 feet to 53 feet (15 to 16 meters) wide.​
The dramatic feature is clearly visible in a newly released image from NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO). The spacecraft has been imaging the Red Planet up close for more than 13 years using its High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment (HiRISE) camera and photographing larger swaths of terrain with its lower-resolution Context Camera (CTX).​
...While MRO captures hundreds of these new dark smudges a year, said HiRISE team member and University of Arizona staff scientist Veronica Bray, this new crater is on the larger side of the ones that she has ever seen. That means the impact that created it was a fairly rare event, at least as far as we know from 13 years of MRO's continuous observing.​
Bray estimated that the impactor responsible was about 5 feet (1.5 m) wide — so small that it would either have burst into pieces or eroded away completely had it come through Earth's much thicker atmosphere. The impactor might have been a more solid rock than usual, she added, because other rocks coming into Mars' atmosphere often shatter high in the air and create chains of craters as broken-up pieces smack into the terrain below.​

More: Bam! Fresh Crater Spied on Mars — and It Looks Spectacular

Reactions: Lyzza
Nov 2012
nirvana
I don't know about you, but the idea that at any given moment a meteor could cream your new house in the Martian Way neighborhood just doesn't set too well with me. The earth's atmosphere would have burned or broken up this meteor, but atmosphere is something Mars really doesn't have much of.

A small space rock crashed into the Red Planet's surface recently, producing a fresh crater that researchers estimate is 49 feet to 53 feet (15 to 16 meters) wide.​
The dramatic feature is clearly visible in a newly released image from NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO). The spacecraft has been imaging the Red Planet up close for more than 13 years using its High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment (HiRISE) camera and photographing larger swaths of terrain with its lower-resolution Context Camera (CTX).​
...While MRO captures hundreds of these new dark smudges a year, said HiRISE team member and University of Arizona staff scientist Veronica Bray, this new crater is on the larger side of the ones that she has ever seen. That means the impact that created it was a fairly rare event, at least as far as we know from 13 years of MRO's continuous observing.​
Bray estimated that the impactor responsible was about 5 feet (1.5 m) wide — so small that it would either have burst into pieces or eroded away completely had it come through Earth's much thicker atmosphere. The impactor might have been a more solid rock than usual, she added, because other rocks coming into Mars' atmosphere often shatter high in the air and create chains of craters as broken-up pieces smack into the terrain below.​

From a 5 foot rock?

The kinetic energy had to be off the scale.

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
From a 5 foot rock?

The kinetic energy had to be off the scale.

Velocity !!!! The bullet from a 9mm is more than twice as heavy as the bullet from a .223. Yet the .223 traveling at two and half to three times the velocity does infinitely more damage.

A five foot long, several ton rock, traveling at 25,000 miles an hour ......... BOOM !!!

Dec 2018
Wisconsin

I can't be the only one who thinks this looks like a close up of an anus...

Sep 2015
Stage Left
i love space stuff. as much as i have thought how neat it would be to do a Star Trek job and visit other planets, i like it right here lol

Reactions: imaginethat
Sep 2015
Brown Township, Ohio

The Bollard that recently exploded over Russia could not be seen coming because is was coming from the direction of the Sun. It had of force of some 750 kilotons. The Bollard that exploded over Siberia in the early 20th Century flattened a large area and estimated to be a force of some 20 megatons, TNT equivalent. What are the strange glowing lights seen on the surface of our Moon? The Moon is geologically dead so they used to think. What happens in Mars stays in Mars.

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
The Bollard that recently exploded over Russia could not be seen coming because is was coming from the direction of the Sun. It had of force of some 750 kilotons. The Bollard that exploded over Siberia in the early 20th Century flattened a large area and estimated to be a force of some 20 megatons, TNT equivalent. What are the strange glowing lights seen on the surface of our Moon? The Moon is geologically dead so they used to think. What happens in Mars stays in Mars.
You mean bolide.