Ban Nike?

Dec 2016
Canada
The only thing I don't like about this story is how it's making Nike....a sweatshop profiteer look like heroes just because they did some polling and calculated that maintaining Colin Kaepernick's endorsement contract was worth more to them than cancelling him out! This is how low the expectations for corporate citizens lie.

Last edited:
May 2018
Chicago
The only thing I don't like about this story is how it's making Nike....a sweatshop profiteer look like heroes just because they did some polling and calculated that maintaining Colin Kaepernick's endorsement contract was worth more to them than cancelling him out! This is how low the expectations for corporate citizens lie.
No, they're not heroes. For me personally, I like seeing the right wing get egg on their faces. They may have won a recent battle, but they've been losing the war for a long time. This is just more evidence.

Last edited:
Dec 2016
Canada
No, they're not heroes. For me personally, I like seeing the right wing get egg on their faces. They may have won a recent battle, but they've been losing the war for a long time. This is just more evidence.
If Nike 'loses the war' it's just to another corporate swindler that sells $10 shoes for $100 to $200! Since these are labor-intensive jobs, they just keep moving production to the cheapest locations on Earth, where there are not only the cheapest wages paid, but no environment, labor or safety standards to deal with.
And...as we learned in the case of Walmart's clothing brands a few years ago after a factory building collapse killed 1000 workers inside...internal memos revealed they were already threatening that supplier with being cut off if they couldn't bring their costs down even lower, and setting up with a new supplier from Sri Lanka.
International capitalism is a race to the bottom for working people around the world, and if Kaepernick can't boycott his only source of income right now, he should at least have something to say about demanding Nike improve business practices!