Barr makes major reversal in ruling some asylum seekers could be held indefinitely

Mar 2019
Texas
(CNN)Attorney General William Barr decided Tuesday that some asylum seekers who have established credible fear and are subject to deportation cannot be released on bond by immigration judges -- a major reversal from a prior ruling that could lead to immigrants being held indefinitely.
cnn

This does little and it not what it seems at face value. The key part is that some asylum seekers could be detained if they are subject to deportation. The majority of asylum claimants are not subject to deportation if the are granted temporary status and the law is clear that anyone who is givin status that is not subject to be deported can be released so they can seek employment.

Dec 2006
New Haven, CT
No - that's not what is happening DED ... they are no longer going to make those people eligible for release. It is meant to reduce the number of people coming here and claiming refugee status. They will remain jail sometimes for years now.

Apr 2016
Florida
No - that's not what is happening DED ... they are no longer going to make those people eligible for release. It is meant to reduce the number of people coming here and claiming refugee status. They will remain jail sometimes for years now.
Might as well send them to Gitmo...

Jul 2014
massachusetts
So to sum it all up, we don't have room in the detention centers, we don't have money to build more detention facilities, so we're just going to put everyone in detention and hold them there forever....

Mar 2019
Texas
So to sum it all up, we don't have room in the detention centers, we don't have money to build more detention facilities, so we're just going to put everyone in detention and hold them there forever....
That is what i thought when i first heard this news.

This only allows for them to hold people who are eligible to be held. The majority of asylum seekers can not be held for very long. This is for asylum seekers that are subject to deportation. In other words people with criminal records and such. Otherwise there would be no bail issue. Asylum seekers that are granted temporary status are not subject to any bail.

Jun 2018
South Dakota
Short memory? We don't have money to build more detention space because the Dems refused to provide it. The deal is confusing but I think it also changes the status of those entering illegally at points other than ports of entry to not bondable.
ACLU is going ballistic.

Mar 2019
Texas
Short memory? We don't have money to build more detention space because the Dems refused to provide it. The deal is confusing but I think it also changes the status of those entering illegally at points other than ports of entry to not bondable.
ACLU is going ballistic.
No bar does not have that power to change the status under the law.

This is for criminals who apply for asylum while they are in jail. It says they can not be released into the usa when they get out of jail unless they get permanent status.

This is something i agree with.

Trump already challenged the law and lost that says it is legal to cross between ports and claim asylum. Barr does not have the authority to over rule that.

This new change will have to go thru a 90 period of over site before it is used.

Jul 2014
massachusetts
ACLU is going ballistic.
Yeah, that fuckin' constitution what a waste huh?

Glorious Supreme Leader Trump, whose wisdom rains down upon people like a golden shower, should not be bound by that old rag....

Dec 2015
Arizona
No worries. Trump is building a wall. Mexico is paying for it. Maybe Mexico will pay for more detention centers too??