Becoming human

Feb 2014
Oregon
I can not deal with the religious mindset any further. It has no place in threads of a scientific nature. How can you argue with someone who thinks a God performed the first surgery and interprets the story of creation literally? Doughboy's posts should be restricted to the forum for religion because that is all he understands and he so completely derailed the thread, I have asked that it be closed.

Oct 2010
Colorado
I can not deal with the religious mindset any further. It has no place in threads of a scientific nature. How can you argue with someone who thinks a God performed the first surgery and interprets the story of creation literally? Doughboy's posts should be restricted to the forum for religion because that is all he understands and he so completely derailed the thread, I have asked that it be closed.
My apology. Proselytizing belongs in the "Christianity" subforum. Please continue with the conversation.

Nov 2013
NM
Meanwhile, back @ the question

Are we born humans or do we learn to be humans?

If we learn to be human's what do we have to learn to be humans?

Yes, babies are born with the form of human. But becoming human is also a social process, which used to be mediated by many more agencies than now exist, once the nation-state got really going in Europe. In Medieval times, there were church, maybe some schooling (the bigger cities, anyway), guild, city/village council, the local lord, shopping & selling (butcher, bread, shoemaker, clothes, medicine, doctor), the militia, the night watch, the fire brigade, various craft organizations, home fabrication (spinning, dying, wool, weaving, etc.) - this last entailed a network of buyers & sellers, maybe some employees.

I just finished a History of Civilization, I'll post more on it shortly.

Feb 2014
Oregon
Yes, babies are born with the form of human. But becoming human is also a social process, which used to be mediated by many more agencies than now exist, once the nation-state got really going in Europe. In Medieval times, there were church, maybe some schooling (the bigger cities, anyway), guild, city/village council, the local lord, shopping & selling (butcher, bread, shoemaker, clothes, medicine, doctor), the militia, the night watch, the fire brigade, various craft organizations, home fabrication (spinning, dying, wool, weaving, etc.) - this last entailed a network of buyers & sellers, maybe some employees.

I just finished a History of Civilization, I'll post more on it shortly.
I think you are saying it is interaction with each other that socializes us, and that when we speak of being humans, we are speaking of socialized people. Indigenous people around the world are facing a cultural crisis and the result is they are dying.

This is just one example of a society dying because of their way of life was disrupted so their will to live dies and they die.

Our society is broken': what can stop Canada's First Nations suicide ...
https://www.theguardian.com/.../our-society-is-broken-what-can-stop-canadas-first-nat...
Aug 30, 2017 - Suicide and self-harm is the leading cause of death for indigenous ... Selena Randhawa talks to young First Nations people about the ...
And as we face the children separated from their families we might want to ponder a little more deeply the meaning of being human and the importance of our relationships to our humanness. Is it human to separate children from their families? What kind of human is that?

Last edited:
Nov 2013
NM
Some malaise @ the core, do you suppose?

I think you are saying it is interaction with each other that socializes us, and that when we speak of being humans, we are speaking of socialized people. Indigenous people around the world are facing a cultural crisis and the result is they are dying.

This is just one example of a society dying because of their way of life was disrupted so their will to live dies and they die.

And as we face the children separated from their families we might want to ponder a little more deeply the meaning of being human and the importance of our relationships to our humanness. Is it human to separate children from their families? What kind of human is that?
Yes, suicide & other self-destructive behaviors - drug & alcohol abuse, for instance - are claiming more & more young lives in the US & in Western Civilization generally - & Japan & I believe the Asian Tiger economies, S. Korea. Something is going on - I would characterize it as a failure to thrive in the West, but I would hope that the sociologists could tell us more. The problem(s?) are sufficiently grave to invoke CDC, if they haven't already gotten involved.

Is it simply that wisdom has fled from culture in the West? That's hard to credit - but popular culture in the US since the late 1960s seems to have spun out beyond the pale. Maybe there's something to that - I certainly hope that the experts & epidemiologists are looking @ the phenomena.