Biden’s Iraq Mess

Feb 2006
California
Joe needs a better response to Bernie’s attack on his 2002 vote.

Donald Trump’s military strike against terrorist leader Qasem Soleimani hasn’t led to war with Iran but it has opened up hostilities in the Democratic presidential race. Bernie Sanders wants to use the tension in the Middle East to tar Joe Biden for his 2002 vote authorizing war in Iraq, in contrast to Mr. Sanders’ opposition to the use of American military power. In Tuesday night’s debate, Mr. Biden will need better responses.

This weekend the Sanders campaign called Mr. Biden’s position on the Iraq war “appalling” and released a video of the former Vice President expressing support for the war in summer 2003. “Some in my own party have said that it was a mistake to go in to Iraq in the first place and believe that it’s not worth the cost,” Mr. Biden says in the video. “But the cost of not acting against Saddam I think would have been much greater.”
https://www.wsj.com/podcasts/opinion-potomac-watch

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
What can Biden say? I was duped? I took my cues from my MIC overlords?

Should it come down to Biden vs. Trump, Biden will get my vote, but if elected he will get my 24/7 scrutiny, and undoubtedly, my firm opposition to some of his policies and actions.

Feb 2007
USA
Well, to be fair I think, the decision to go into Iraq initially had somewhat broad support amongst the American public, for a variety of reasons, regardless if any individuals here supported or didn't support that decision at that time period. And, US public opinion significantly shifted to being against that decision years afterwards.

For example...

https://www.pewresearch.org/2008/03/19/public-attitudes-toward-the-war-in-iraq-20032008/

And, of course, that was 17+ years ago. And, I tend to believe that any presidential candidate, regardless of political party or no political party at all, will generally have the public to answer to regarding any future possible similarly-conditioned military endeavor, keeping in mind the history of that action and its aftermath.

So, personally speaking, I wouldn't put very much weight on any of today's candidate's positions or voting regarding that decision during that time period.

Reactions: Clara007

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
Well, to be fair I think, the decision to go into Iraq initially had somewhat broad support amongst the American public, for a variety of reasons, regardless if any individuals here supported or didn't support that decision at that time period. And, US public opinion significantly shifted to being against that decision years afterwards.

For example...

https://www.pewresearch.org/2008/03/19/public-attitudes-toward-the-war-in-iraq-20032008/

And, of course, that was 17+ years ago. And, I tend to believe that any presidential candidate, regardless of political party or no political party at all, will generally have the public to answer to regarding any future possible similarly-conditioned military endeavor, keeping in mind the history of that action and its aftermath.

So, personally speaking, I wouldn't put very much weight on any of today's candidate's positions or voting regarding that decision during that time period.
What's incredible about that graph is that in 2008, 38 percent still supported the Iraq War.

Wait...........

That's about how many support Trump right now.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish I hadn't thought of that.

Sep 2019
NYC
As far as I'm concerned what Biden did or didn't do 18 years ago is completely immaterial. Different time. Different country.
The candidates need to be talking about the next 18 years. Not the last 18 years.

What better way to turn a blind eye to a racist gaffe machine who voted with segragationists and hung out with klansmen than to pretend to not want to look backwards.

Last edited:
Reactions: FrostKing

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
What better way to turn a bling eye to a racist gaffe machine who voted with segragationists and hung out with klansmen than to pretend to not want to look backwards.
Hell, hound, it works for the redeemed Christian Trump. He's a changed man. Some say, God hisself has chosen DJ to thwart the Antichrist Obama and his One World Government. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Clara007
Feb 2006
California
This wasn't even mentioned, repeal it, Republicans do not want the citizenry to have rights!

The vote went as follows: Fifty Republicans as well as two Democrats voted unsuccessfully to end debate; Five Republicans, 41 Democrats and one independent voted to block.

What is Section 215 of the Patriot Act?

of the Patriot Act in 2001. Section 215 allows the government to obtain a secret court order requiring third parties, such as telephone companies, to hand over any records or other “tangible thing” if deemed “relevant” to an international terrorism, Page 2 2 counterespionage, or foreign intelligence investigation.

Dec 2015
Arizona
What better way to turn a blind eye to a racist gaffe machine who voted with segragationists and hung out with klansmen than to pretend to not want to look backwards.
I don't suppose you'd like to provide sources for those statements? Credible sources?
Example: The National Enquirer would not be considered a credible source.

Reactions: intangible child