Big Bang Theory Canceled

Jul 2014
massachusetts
Where did this dweeb for esquire get the 'casually misogynistic and racist' from?
Did you ever watch the show?
That is an accurate characterization, the Penny character draws on the dumb blonde stereotype, the Raj character draws on Indian stereotypes, and the Howard Character draws on Jewish stereotypes, there's other stereotypes that are drawn on. but it's all "casual", not really "hard core".

Dec 2013
Everything is going to be OK
That is an accurate characterization, the Penny character draws on the dumb blonde stereotype, the Raj character draws on Indian stereotypes, and the Howard Character draws on Jewish stereotypes, there's other stereotypes that are drawn on. but it's all "casual", not really "hard core".

That's kinda how sitcoms work and TV in general.

Stereotypes exist for a reason.

Dec 2016
Canada
So what? If you're allergic to comedy, don't watch it! The only kind of comedy of any kind that won't offend someone is comedy that's boring and...just isn't comedy anymore.

If you've actually watched the show...even in the recent years when I haven't been inclined to save it on the DVR, those characters exceed their stereotypes...even Penny! How many times does she show the guys the limitations of a narrow, highly specialized form of intelligence! And in the recent episodes, Penny transitions from waitress/struggling actress to pharmaceutical sales rep.....actually what I find offensive about that is trying to humanize Big Pharma! As for Howard Wolowitz, how many times have Jewish comedians made their religion and culture the subject of their comedy? Ever see a Mel Brooks movie? Any of them? Give a listen to any of Woody Allen's standup comedy routines from the 60's.....before he killed it all by deciding he was a great movie producer!

And Raj....since I live in a place with a large South Asian community, I've heard from a few over the years who see Raj as a big breakthrough for Asians ---- maybe not as much as the Harold and Kumar movies but better than being totally invisible. Raj starts as just one of the nerds and some issues like dealing with arranged marriages are still part of their life today. I said before that comedy is risky and invites misinterpretations, but this guy at Esquire has got a stick up his ass, and just set out to do a hit piece for no good reason! It's a judgement call--but I think most of us can tell when comedy is having fun with difficult issues and when it's deliberately misogynist - Adam Carolla, Seth McFarlane (even though I was a big fan of the first run of Family Guy), Bill Maher, Bill Burr, Joe Rogan..and if anyone even remembers him-- Andrew Dice Clay....I don't think he actually had any jokes in his act when he was flavor of the month many years ago.

Aug 2014
Earth
I stopped watching Big Bang several seasons ago. Not really a hate or a dislike, I just think the show ran its course and has had for several years. The show was about four awkward “nerd” men who are friends and how they got along in life. Now three of the men are married and all are successful. Raj is the only one without a wife but he has been with some beautiful women.

There are other instances of gay actors playing straight. Paul Lynde played a straight man with two children on “The Paul Lynde Show” on ABC around 1972. Even on Bewitched, his character Uncle Arthur was “straight” with a hot girlfriend. Then there was Jim Nabors, who had a gorgeous girlfriend played by a one Elizabeth MacRae on “Goner Pyle USMC”. More recently the actor who played Doogie Howser who is homosexual played a womanizer on something called “How I met your Mother”

The actor Jeffrey Tambor lost his acting job on Transparent because he wasn’t a tranny. He played a tranny but he himself is not a tranny which annoyed the tranny writers and producers of the series. As a matter of fact, the trannies give normal people a name like “Cis” or “Ciatern” or something like that.

Just to show that homosexuals are not interested in equal rights, they want special rights and they want their rights to supersede anyone else. If someone doesn’t kiss their butt or criticizes them, the militant homosexuals go completely apeshit. “How dare you as a gay play a straight man!” Or better “How dare you not out in the open about your sexuality!” The second one is grand because the militant homosexuals will “out” people. It is all an agenda, a slow moving coup into depravity.

Jul 2014
massachusetts
So what? If you're allergic to comedy, don't watch it! The only kind of comedy of any kind that won't offend someone is comedy that's boring and...just isn't comedy anymore.

If you've actually watched the show...even in the recent years when I haven't been inclined to save it on the DVR, those characters exceed their stereotypes...even Penny! How many times does she show the guys the limitations of a narrow, highly specialized form of intelligence! And in the recent episodes, Penny transitions from waitress/struggling actress to pharmaceutical sales rep.....actually what I find offensive about that is trying to humanize Big Pharma! As for Howard Wolowitz, how many times have Jewish comedians made their religion and culture the subject of their comedy? Ever see a Mel Brooks movie? Any of them? Give a listen to any of Woody Allen's standup comedy routines from the 60's.....before he killed it all by deciding he was a great movie producer!

And Raj....since I live in a place with a large South Asian community, I've heard from a few over the years who see Raj as a big breakthrough for Asians ---- maybe not as much as the Harold and Kumar movies but better than being totally invisible. Raj starts as just one of the nerds and some issues like dealing with arranged marriages are still part of their life today. I said before that comedy is risky and invites misinterpretations, but this guy at Esquire has got a stick up his ass, and just set out to do a hit piece for no good reason! It's a judgement call--but I think most of us can tell when comedy is having fun with difficult issues and when it's deliberately misogynist - Adam Carolla, Seth McFarlane (even though I was a big fan of the first run of Family Guy), Bill Maher, Bill Burr, Joe Rogan..and if anyone even remembers him-- Andrew Dice Clay....I don't think he actually had any jokes in his act when he was flavor of the month many years ago.
I watched the show for years, it's funny, but it's also "casually misogynistic and racist", it can be more than one thing.
It's still entertaining, although it's been a few years since I watched it.

Dec 2016
Canada
I stopped watching Big Bang several seasons ago. Not really a hate or a dislike, I just think the show ran its course and has had for several years. The show was about four awkward “nerd” men who are friends and how they got along in life. Now three of the men are married and all are successful. Raj is the only one without a wife but he has been with some beautiful women.
I was saying the same thing! It should have ended with season 7 because the change in story lines from four single hardup nerds to married men dealiing with typical adult issues was losing its comedic spark, along with drifting too far from the original value of the show...which a lot of sciency types loved because it's actually about scientists in highly specialized, technical research: Sheldon (theoretical physics), Leonard (practical or experimental physics, Raj (astrophysics) and Howard (engineering); if any group of people were typecast and mocked, it was scientists! But, the themes of relatively low pay for the high qualifications expected, and difficulties finding funding to carry out research, were also worked in to some of the plotlines...which a lot of real life scientists were fans of, because the subjects don't come up anywhere else on TV!

Maybe their unwillingness to wrap it up and keep trying to squeeze more money out of the franchise is why they brought Raj out of his shell/but didn't let him get around to getting married also. I'd say they really dropped the ball on that one, because it looked like they were working in that direction when they presented Raj's first girlfriend...who's OK...not too attractive, and is trying to work through the same social anxiety issues Raj is. Instead, the writers and/or producers just flip a switch, and all of a sudden Raj can talk to girls....even when he's not drunk. It would have worked so much better if they'd stayed together and worked through their foibles and on to the obligatory marriage episodes, but that would have been like writing the final chapter of a longrunning story, and likely the network and producers didn't think they had enough other alternatives to fill the schedule with!

There are other instances of gay actors playing straight. Paul Lynde played a straight man with two children on “The Paul Lynde Show” on ABC around 1972. Even on Bewitched, his character Uncle Arthur was “straight” with a hot girlfriend. Then there was Jim Nabors, who had a gorgeous girlfriend played by a one Elizabeth MacRae on “Goner Pyle USMC”. More recently the actor who played Doogie Howser who is homosexual played a womanizer on something called “How I met your Mother”
Except for Neil Patrick Harris, the others you mention were all closeted gay men who came up at a time when there was still extreme social stigma against gays...Jim Nabors didn't come out of the closet until he was in his 80's for christ's sakes! Likely because homosexuality was still a criminal offense in most US states when he was young!
That said, Jim Parsons developed an intuitive understanding for how Sheldon sees the world around him. It may have come from coming to terms with being gay/ or it may have just come out of his early acting career doing improv comedy...who knows, and why does it matter?

The actor Jeffrey Tambor lost his acting job on Transparent because he wasn’t a tranny. He played a tranny but he himself is not a tranny which annoyed the tranny writers and producers of the series. As a matter of fact, the trannies give normal people a name like “Cis” or “Ciatern” or something like that.
I get that trans issues really complicates things....but how does that fit in here?

Just to show that homosexuals are not interested in equal rights, they want special rights and they want their rights to supersede anyone else. If someone doesn’t kiss their butt or criticizes them, the militant homosexuals go completely apeshit. “How dare you as a gay play a straight man!” Or better “How dare you not out in the open about your sexuality!” The second one is grand because the militant homosexuals will “out” people. It is all an agenda, a slow moving coup into depravity.
Sounds like someone is sterotyping and making too many assumptions about a large segment of society that doesn't have much in common besides being attracted to members of their own sex! So, I've heard, just as with other oppressed groups like racial/ethnic minorities and women, gay communities are fragmented and often working cross-purposes today for the reason that they have a large degree of freedom and acceptance that they didn't have back in the Stonewall days.
One thing seems apparent: if you want a defined segment of any larger society to remain radical and occasionally hostile, apply persecution and keep them suppressed( see how it's working in Europe dealing with Muslim immigrants!), so they stay underground. Most don't seem to want anything special, just to be able to live and go about their lives free of harassment from others.