Black couple denied wedding at Baptist church in Mississippi

Oct 2010
More Baptist goodness:

http://usnews.nbcnew...-they-are-black

A black Mississippi couple say a predominantly white Baptist church where they were to wed turned them away because of race.

Charles and Te'Andrea Wilson told NBC station WLBT of Jackson that they got the news from the pastor, Dr. Stan Weatherford of the First Baptist Church of Crystal Springs, the day before their long-planned nuptials.

"The church congregation had decided no black could be married at that church, and that if he went on to marry her, then they would vote him out the church," said Charles Wilson.

The Wilsons regularly attend First Baptist but are not members there.

Weatherford performed the wedding at a nearby church.

Weatherford said he was taken by surprise by what he called a small minority against the black marriage at the church.

"This had never been done before here, so it was setting a new precedent, and there are those who reacted to that because of that," Weatherford said.

"I didn't want to have a controversy within the church, and I didn't want a controversy to affect the wedding of Charles and Te' Andrea. I wanted to make sure their wedding day was a special day," he said.

Charles Wilson said he doesn’t understand the ban.

“I blame those members who knew and call themselves Christians and didn't stand up," Wilson said.

Church officials say they welcome any race into their congregation and will decide on how to move forward should a similar situation occur again.

Crystal Spring is a city of 5,000 about 25 miles southwest of Mississippi’s capital, Jackson.

See the original story at WLBT of Jackson, Miss.

A suburb of Jackson is where some lesbian students were recently denied attendance at the prom, and where the school and some parents conspired to hold a fake prom to keep the lesbians away from the real one. It's also the city which in the 1960s sold its whites-only swimming pools to the YMCA (and filled one in with dirt) to avoid integrating their pools.......an action which the supreme court upheld.

Mar 2007
Alabama
[font=georgia,serif]I wish that journalists would find out what Baptist denomination that a church is affiliated with when doing these stories. Just saying Baptist narrows it down only slightly more than just saying Christian.[/font]

Oct 2010
[font=georgia,serif]I wish that journalists would find out what Baptist denomination that a church is affiliated with when doing these stories. Just saying Baptist narrows it down only slightly more than just saying Christian.[/font]

That was my reaction too but I couldn't find any more detailed info even at WLBT. The church website doesn't seem to have any details either:

http://www.fbccrystalsprings.org/

Of course, they are absolutely free to do this. Denying anyone a religious wedding isn't remotely as bad as denying a gay couple the legal right to marry. It doesn't make it right, but it's not in the same category as a denial of legal rights.

Oct 2010
If I were the pastor, I would resign from that church immediately.

I'm the last person to say what a pastor should do, but I can see if it was a minority of parishioners who were causing a problem he might think it's his role to be a good shepherd.

highway80west

Former Staff
Mar 2007
San Diego, CA
H80W' timestamp='1343446127' post='417112 said:
If I were the pastor, I would resign from that church immediately.

I'm the last person to say what a pastor should do, but I can see if it was a minority of parishioners who were causing a problem he might think it's his role to be a good shepherd.

Last month, our priest-in-charge left us because of some differences within my church. I didn't want her to leave, but some called for her ouster, saying that she was a terrible money manager. One parishioner brushed away the hand of another because of that. This parishioner didn't want her to leave. The husband of the lady whose hand was brushed away said earlier that the priest needed prayers. He is also the one who said the priest was a terrible money manager. I think he needs prayers.

It was something, though I didn't see it happen. We later learned that the priest was returning to medical school, though I personally doubt that was the real reason why she resigned. I emailed the bishop asking him to find us a priest that everybody in my church can love and appreciate.

I got along beautifully with the priest-in-charge, helping her get transitioned, especially with some of my ministries. Now we have to search for another priest to lead us, while we have a supply priest. Tomorrow will be my last time to see her since she is giving a going-away party.

Oct 2010
I guess the part I don't understand is if it really was just a minority of bigoted parishioners, why didn't the pastor simply hold the wedding in his own church? Why bow to the bigots?

highway80west

Former Staff
Mar 2007
San Diego, CA
I guess the part I don't understand is if it really was just a minority of bigoted parishioners, why didn't the pastor simply hold the wedding in his own church? Why bow to the bigots?

Probably some of those parishioners were either KKK or former KKK members. I guess racism is still practiced in the deep south.

Oct 2010
skrekk' timestamp='1343449658' post='417118 said:

Probably some of those parishioners were either KKK or former KKK members. I guess racism is still practiced in the deep south.

Good point.

Jun 2012
Barsoom

I gift this to you because this story does have both sides and is true. Contrary to your accusations of me, I am not a racist, and this is a wrong. So here you go: http://www.abc-usa.org/