Black man in hospital gown with IV arrested outside Illinois hospital for disorderly conduct

Sep 2015
Brown Township, Ohio
And pretty much every hospital has banned smoking on its premises. I have seen some pretty ragtag looking folks in gowns and wheelchairs lined up along the sidewalk outside our hospital. They used to just now allow it inside. Now it isn't allowed on the property so people have to wheel out to the public sidewalk. It really isn't a good look for the patients or the hospital. They should have a more discreet smoking patio or something.
Have you ever been employed by a major hospital? I know TN has and so have I. TN worked on the medical side and I worked on the repair side.

Jul 2018
Earth
Here is an update =

Patient walking outside hospital claims racial profiling: 6 things to know
Editor's note: This story was updated July 1 at 9:45 a.m. with additional information.
Patient walking outside hospital claims racial profiling: 6 things to know. A patient still attached to an IV stand says he was racially profiled when police arrested him June 9 outside Freeport (Ill.) Health Network Memorial Hospital, according to The Journal Standard.

A black hospital patient went on a walk with an IV drip. A security guard thought he was stealing medical equipment
Updated 11:36 AM ET, Tue July 2, 2019
The police department has appointed an independent investigator to look at the case, Freeport police spokesman Dave Bayless told CNN.
Bayless identified the investigator as Mitch Davis, who has served as police chief for 18 years in Hazel Crest, Illinois, a suburb south of Chicago. Davis, who is black, is also a member of the Illinois Association of Chiefs of Police.
Dukes said he believes the incident should prompt additional sensitivity training for both police and FHN staff.
The hospital declined to comment, citing patient confidentiality, and said it was cooperating with the police investigation.
A black hospital patient went on a walk with an IV drip. A security guard thought he was stealing medical equipment - CNN

Jul 2018
Earth
And pretty much every hospital has banned smoking on its premises. I have seen some pretty ragtag looking folks in gowns and wheelchairs lined up along the sidewalk outside our hospital. They used to just now allow it inside. Now it isn't allowed on the property so people have to wheel out to the public sidewalk. It really isn't a good look for the patients or the hospital. They should have a more discreet smoking patio or something.
Maybe Dukes thought he was in Australia?
Stock Photo - Patients outside the main entrance to Sydney Royal North Shore hospital, St Leonards,Sydney,Australia

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/38380000/jpg/_38380831_smoking300.jpg

Dec 2006
New Haven, CT
It had nothing to do with him being black, but everything to do with a stupid security guard and sensational journalism bent on selling racism as clickbait.
Bullshit.
I GUARANTEE you, if it were me that wanted to go for a walk outside the hospital (which, by the way I have done!), the guard would NOT have suggested I was going to sell the hospital's property on eBay. And when the police arrived they would NOT have discounted the fact that I was walking half naked in a hospital gown and presumed that I was trying to steal the property. They would have listened to my explanation, taken me into the hospital, and it would have been sorted out CIVILLY.

It had EVERYTHING to do with him being black.

Dec 2006
New Haven, CT
Most if not all hospitals have an air-conditioned Solarium which is a rather large space for the patient to walk around in to catch the Sun's Rays, and the patient is protected by Hospital Security.
I have no idea what the hospitals are like where you live. But here in the land of reality, hospitals do NOT allow smoking in the buildings - nor even on the property. You have to walk across the entrances and stand on the public sidewalks to have a cigarette. Which, no matter how sick you are, if you're addicted to nicotine, you drag your ass out of the hospital bed to do.

Reactions: declan and RNG
Dec 2014
Memphis, Tn.
Most if not all hospitals have an air-conditioned Solarium which is a rather large space for the patient to walk around in to catch the Sun's Rays, and the patient is protected by Hospital Security.
Maybe this one didn't. *shrug*

Seems he mostly needed hospital security to protect him from ther local cops.

Reactions: Clara007

Marcus Livius

Former Staff
Sep 2017
Hell
Bullshit.
I GUARANTEE you, if it were me that wanted to go for a walk outside the hospital (which, by the way I have done!), the guard would NOT have suggested I was going to sell the hospital's property on eBay. And when the police arrived they would NOT have discounted the fact that I was walking half naked in a hospital gown and presumed that I was trying to steal the property. They would have listened to my explanation, taken me into the hospital, and it would have been sorted out CIVILLY.

It had EVERYTHING to do with him being black.
It happened in Illinois, not North Dakota. At least one of the cops at the scene was Black. I don't know about this hospital, but there are certain policies in place that requires the patient to remain in a certain area, and definitely not off-campus. It is a liability issue.