Black man in hospital gown with IV arrested outside Illinois hospital for disorderly conduct

Dec 2014
Memphis, Tn.
It happened in Illinois, not North Dakota. At least one of the cops at the scene was Black. I don't know about this hospital, but there are certain policies in place that requires the patient to remain in a certain area, and definitely not off-campus. It is a liability issue.

Liability is a CIVIL matter and not a criminal one.

Dec 2006
New Haven, CT
It happened in Illinois, not North Dakota. At least one of the cops at the scene was Black. I don't know about this hospital, but there are certain policies in place that requires the patient to remain in a certain area, and definitely not off-campus. It is a liability issue.
This may come as a HUGE shock to you ... but the repercussion for not complying with a "policy" is NOT being arrested.

You get arrested for BREAKING THE LAW.

Jesus.

I don't care what state it happens in. And since when does racism not affect members of the same race? Shit, there were Jews who worked for Hitler. Why the hell do you think Uncle Toms are called that?

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
When I was in hospital with an IV pole full of crap mainlined into me in a couple of places, the staff encouraged me to go out and get some sunshine and fresh air. This hospital didn't have one of TS's wondrous solariums.

The big problem was that there were too damned many smokers with their IV poles out there and the air was far from fresh. Against the law here but the asshats don't enforce it.

Marcus Livius

Former Staff
Sep 2017
Hell
This may come as a HUGE shock to you ... but the repercussion for not complying with a "policy" is NOT being arrested.

You get arrested for BREAKING THE LAW.

Jesus.

I don't care what state it happens in. And since when does racism not affect members of the same race? Shit, there were Jews who worked for Hitler. Why the hell do you think Uncle Toms are called that?
I understand all of that. I'm pointing out the scenario might have driven a stupid security guard to act even more irrationally in his eagerness to cover his own ass because the patient had gone beyond the threshold that he was supposed be guarding. The police did not initiate the situation, a singular security guard did, I don't know how it is in your world, but security guards here make minimum wage, and generally appears to be unable to guard anything properly, including this gentleman dragging an IV carousel, in a clearly mishandled situation. One can almost swap pictures of security guards with pictures of "shoppers of Walmart".

If I was a Black LEO in the blue state of Illinois and felt that a Black person was intentionally mistreated due to only his skin color, I would try to intervene. If that didn't work, I try to complain upstairs. If it seem to be systemic injustice based on color, I would be THAT anonymous whistleblower at the very least. If that did not work, I would walk the complaints upstairs. It is not North Dakota where I would be the only Black guy in a tri-county area and there are no Black officials to be found, nor would I be someone so fearful that if I did not do as ordered, I would be placed first in line leading into the Zyklon B shower room.

In your eagerness to insist that it can ONLY be a racial issue, you went out of your way to demean the integrity of Black LEO's and Holocaust victims. If you don't see that is no better than blindly lashing or accusing Muslims of supporting terrorism, you need to take a deep breath and let that anger subside.

Jul 2018
Earth
Here's an update =

A black hospital patient who was accused of stealing medical equipment speaks out
Updated 8:50 PM ET, Tue July 2, 2019

Dukes said he met with Freeport city officials and a representative from FHN Memorial Hospital within days of the incident, hopeful for a resolution.

He said he was caught off guard by the hospital representative's comments.

"He said pretty much, 'we wanted to give you this opportunity for this dialogue, but we really just want to figure out what are you proposing? What would look like victory to you in this situation?'" Dukes said.

"I told him if you're insinuating there's some monetary -- something that could make this go away, I said you're ignorant," he said. "It's insulting and I feel like I'm being handled and I ended the meeting," he said.

As for police, he said "they're playing this game of, we're investigating, we're looking into it."
This is what a black hospital patient hopes will come out of his arrest - CNN

Does anyone ever learn from other people's mistakes?

Reactions: tristanrobin
Jul 2018
Earth
Here is an update written by an interested nurse. She mentions that the "security guard" was not employed by the hospital. =

July 8, 2019
Black Patient Walking Outside Hospital Arrested For Trying To Steal IV Still In Arm
At the moment, the Freemont police has officially stated that the security guard that called the police was not associated with either the police department or the hospital....
Black Patient Walking Outside Hospital Arrested For Trying To Steal IV Still In Arm

The case is supposed to be heard in a few days.

Dec 2014
Memphis, Tn.
Here is an update written by an interested nurse. She mentions that the "security guard" was not employed by the hospital. =

July 8, 2019
At the moment, the Freemont police has officially stated that the security guard that called the police was not associated with either the police department or the hospital....

The case is supposed to be heard in a few days.
Was not associated with the police OR the hospital????
Then what in the hell was he doing fucling with one of the hospital's patients?
Is the man a security guard or is a a "security guard" whatever the fuck that is?

Jul 2018
Earth
Was not associated with the police OR the hospital????
Then what in the hell was he doing fucling with one of the hospital's patients?
Is the man a security guard or is a a "security guard" whatever the fuck that is?
Maybe he is just a busybody like this guy? =

A crying boy begged his father not to call the S.F. police on a black man. The father did it anyway
Tuesday July 09, 2019 · 9:45 AM CDT
A young boy came to the defense of a black man on the Fourth of July as the boy’s father questioned and later called the police on the man who said he was waiting for a friend at a San Francisco apartment building.
Wesly Michel recorded his encounter with the boy and his father, who appears to be white, and shared the video on Facebook, where it has garnered more than 1.2 million views.
During the three-and-a-half-minute recording, the boy can be heard pleading with his father not to call police on Michel, whom the father says is a “trespasser” in his building.​

Nov 2017
Black man in hospital gown with IV arrested outside Illinois hospital for disorderly conduct
View attachment 4250
A black man who said he was being treated for pneumonia and asthma at an Illinois hospital was arrested with two others after going for a walk outside wearing a hospital gown and wheeling his IV equipment.
Shaquille Dukes wrote in a Facebook post that he was admitted to a Freeport hospital for double pneumonia while on vacation in the beginning of June.

He said he was told by doctors to walk around for a little while, so he went outside.
But Dukes was stopped by a hospital security guard, "who claimed that I 'was trying to leave the hospital to sell the IV equipment on eBay,'" he wrote.

The guard called the Freeport Police Department, and several officers arrived, video of the incident shows.
Dukes said police told him he was being arrested for attempted theft "of the IV equipment that was clearly attached to my arm." He said that when he informed the arresting officer that he was being treated at the nearby hospital, the officer said "'I don't care why you're here, you're going to jail.'"

Dukes wrote that his IV was removed, "and it was NOT by a doctor," and his rescue inhaler was taken away from him.
He said while he was being driven to jail, he started to have a seizure and asthma attack, but officers did not return the inhaler for nearly four minutes. "When I became unresponsive, it miraculously appeared," Dukes wrote.

much more: Black man in hospital gown with IV arrested outside Illinois hospital

Another case of insane behavior towards a black man. Now we have black man arrested for being black while hospitalized. I, for one, hope he sues the hospital security guard and the city police for a LOT of $!

Any of the right wing usual suspects want to speak up?
How does the political spectrum pertain to this story? What does "the right wing" even have to do with this? Who are the "right wing usual suspects" & what the hell is that supposed to mean? It seems like you're engaging in some condescending, pathetic ass attempt to try to paint the "right wing" as racists for absolutely no reason at all. You've conjured up some imaginary connection, and you want the right wing usual suspects to speak up about your made-up crap, as though there's a way for them to speak up about something like that. If you want to conjure stuff up, at least get the facts straight; the fact is that this is something that happened in Illinois, which is territory controlled by the LEFT wing, not the right wing. The LEFT wing is the wing of racism, always has been & it still is. This is the question that ought to be asked:

Any of the LEFT wing usual suspects want to speak up?

Jul 2018
Earth
How does the political spectrum pertain to this story? What does "the right wing" even have to do with this? Who are the "right wing usual suspects" & what the hell is that supposed to mean? It seems like you're engaging in some condescending, pathetic ass attempt to try to paint the "right wing" as racists for absolutely no reason at all. You've conjured up some imaginary connection, and you want the right wing usual suspects to speak up about your made-up crap, as though there's a way for them to speak up about something like that. If you want to conjure stuff up, at least get the facts straight; the fact is that this is something that happened in Illinois, which is territory controlled by the LEFT wing, not the right wing. The LEFT wing is the wing of racism, always has been & it still is. This is the question that ought to be asked:

Any of the LEFT wing usual suspects want to speak up?
As a hypothetical, who do you blame for the incident and why? If you were one of the characters, what would you do differently and what do you think the outcome would have been?