Black Officer Suspended For Using Racial Slur

Sep 2018
cleveland ohio
Does anyone have a problem with this if it isnt okay for white cops to use the [Mod Edit] wait sorry the n word then black cant either.. is there anyone out there that thinks it is impossible for blacks to be racist
that only whites can be racist because we have all the power? i'd rerally like you to explain that

Is this a case of equal-opportunity suspension? Two days after a white Ohio police officer was suspended for using the "N-word" on duty, a black officer got the same treatment for doing the same thing—though he did it back in September, USA Today reports.

The story unfolded Wednesday when Cincinnati Police Officer Dennis Barnette, who is white, was suspended for using the racial slur while trying to arrest a black woman Saturday at a nightclub, per the Cincinnati Enquirer.

The slur could be heard on a fellow officer's body camera. "This type of behavior is unacceptable and will not be tolerated inside the department," wrote Police Chief Eliot Isaac, and several city council members wanted Barnette fired.

The Barnette case triggered an internal investigation that looked into previous, similar cases—which brought up a September incident in which Officer Donte Hill, who is black, responded to a call in Cincinnati's Westwood neighborhood, per the Enquirer.

Body-camera footage showed that Hill used "excessive profane language and also utilized a racial slur (the 'N' word) when addressing the individuals involved," Isaac says. But Hill only got a reprimand, and his case never went to the internal investigations section.

Now Barnette and Hill are both on desk duty. "Although we hear [the slur] often" on the street, says Fraternal Order of Police President Dan Hils, "...there is no place for it in a professional capacity." (A FedEx driver will not face charges for fatally striking a man who hurled racial slurs.)

This article originally appeared on Newser: Black Officer Suspended for Using Racial Slur
The Barnette case triggered an internal investigation that looked into previous, similar cases—which brought up a September incident in which Officer Donte Hill, who is black, responded to a call in Cincinnati's Westwood neighborhood, per the Enquirer.

Body-camera footage showed that Hill used "excessive profane language and also utilized a racial slur (the 'N' word) when addressing the individuals involved," Isaac says. But Hill only got a reprimand, and his case never went to the internal investigations section.

Now Barnette and Hill are both on desk duty. "Although we hear [the slur] often" on the street, says Fraternal Order of Police President Dan Hils, "...there is no place for it in a professional capacity." (A FedEx driver will not face charges for fatally striking a man who hurled racial slurs.)

This article originally appeared on Newser: Black Officer Suspended for Using Racial Slur

Last edited by a moderator:

KnightOfSappho

Forum Staff
Feb 2007
New York
We don't have enough information in this situation. Was the black officer calling the prep a name or was he trying to calm him/her down by using street language that would be more acceptable to the person? The same way that that an officer in the sticks of Louisiana might drop into Creole when arresting a person to keep him more cooperative.

Also, Were they looking through ALL of the officers tapes or just looking through the ones of the black officers so they could show "equal" enforcement?

Sep 2018
cleveland ohio
We don't have enough information in this situation. Was the black officer calling the prep a name or was he trying to calm him/her down by using street language that would be more acceptable to the person? The same way that that an officer in the sticks of Louisiana might drop into Creole when arresting a person to keep him more cooperative.

Also, Were they looking through ALL of the officers tapes or just looking through the ones of the black officers so they could show "equal" enforcement?
selective enforcement inst allowed right, its a violation of the law, right?

Dec 2016
Canada
Every cops' color is blue! If they do the same job the same way as white cops and target the same neighborhoods, there's not going to be a whole hellofalot of difference between how the black cop engages any differently in the community than the white cop!

Sep 2018
cleveland ohio
Every cops' color is blue! If they do the same job the same way as white cops and target the same neighborhoods, there's not going to be a whole hellofalot of difference between how the black cop engages any differently in the community than the white cop!
i think i agree, maybe not completely but i see your point

Reactions: right to left
Dec 2018
Wisconsin
I’m a believer you shouldn’t purposely try to offend others.

However the recent trend of establishing a set of words that can’t be used ever ever ever no matter what ever is weak.

There was a Netflix comedy special recently where the comedian used the word “retard” and slot of people got upset. Big wigs at Netflix had a meeting and one of the major executives said in the meeting, in sum, “Using this word would be like someone saying nigger.” That executive was forced to resign.

I’m not saying people who use bad words should get a pass. But let’s examine the context with which someone uses a word before chomping their heads off.

Reactions: bill sands
Dec 2016
Canada
I’m a believer you shouldn’t purposely try to offend others.

However the recent trend of establishing a set of words that can’t be used ever ever ever no matter what ever is weak.

There was a Netflix comedy special recently where the comedian used the word “retard” and slot of people got upset. Big wigs at Netflix had a meeting and one of the major executives said in the meeting, in sum, “Using this word would be like someone saying nigger.” That executive was forced to resign.

I’m not saying people who use bad words should get a pass. But let’s examine the context with which someone uses a word before chomping their heads off.
I don't believe in magic words either! We always have to consider the context...as Chris Rock said a few years back in his video: Kill The Messenger:

Reactions: bill sands

KnightOfSappho

Forum Staff
Feb 2007
New York
Yes, every cop is blue but every cop must use the tools he has in his/her arsenal.

For Example: Chris Rock had a routine where he talked about identifying people in the neighborhood (Jimmy from around the corner, Jimmy from up the block, Jimmy from across the street etc). That was actually part of the common lingo in the neighborhood he grew up in; I know because we grew up a block apart. If I was on official duty and needed to ask questions of someone in my old neighborhood that looked mistrustful, the first thing I would do smile and drop back into the old neighborhood lingo to make the person more comfortable. That's something that someone that grew up in a different neighborhood couldn't do. Much in the same way that a woman might be more comfortable speaking to a female cop.

I bring this up because I can see an officer using 'excessive profane language' and even potentially slurs (those are off limits for me) to help communicate and diffuse a situation like a fight or to get information from witnesses that are more trusting of someone that speaks the same way that they do. Is it less than professional? Yes. Is it the only way to get info sometimes? yes.

KnightOfSappho

Forum Staff
Feb 2007
New York
selective enforcement inst allowed right, its a violation of the law, right?
It is equal enforcement if all of the body cam films are reviewed. It is selective enforcement if a higher up went through the cams of the black officers looking for one that could qualify for the same charge as the white officer. The charges came after a white officer was charged even though what the black officer had said was months before.

Politics.