Black US politician reported to police while canvassing

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
This is some combination of really funny and very, very sad.

An Oregon House of Representatives member was out knocking on doors to ask for votes for re-election and tweeting between houses and some lady called the cops reporting "suspicious activity". A cop showed up and they got a good laugh over it. But it isn't funny.

Janelle Bynum was knocking on doors in Clackamas County on Tuesday when a patrol car pulled up alongside her.

In a Facebook post, she said one of her constituents had thought she was acting suspiciously and called the police.

"I was going door to door and spending a lot of time typing on my cell phone... aka canvassing," she wrote.

"I asked to meet my constituent who thought I was suspicious, but she was on the road by then."
But I'm sure it wasn't racial profiling.

https://bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44723616

Dec 2006
New Haven, CT
I posted this on Facebook just a short time ago.

It's an outrage. These Becky and Patty better get over themselves - one of them is gonna get THEMSELVES shot instead of a black person one of these days!

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
I posted this on Facebook just a short time ago.

It's an outrage. These Becky and Patty better get over themselves - one of them is gonna get THEMSELVES shot instead of a black person one of these days!
"Becky and Patty"?

Dec 2006
New Haven, CT
Barbecue Becky and Permit Patty - two of the internet nicknames given to privileged white bigots who call the police on black people for being black.

Reactions: 1 person
Nov 2012
Kekistan
Maybe it had nothing to do with color. Maybe just maybe there was a concern that someone was knocking on doors and tweeting between houses was someone knocking on doors and texting to an accomplice who was home and who was not. That scenario is not that far fetched. As it turned out that was not the case. But, in this instance I dont think I am just going to scream racism without all the facts.

Reactions: 4 people
Dec 2006
New Haven, CT
... I dont think I am just going to scream racism without all the facts.
just like an apologist

this is no different than the woman who called 911 because black folks were barbecuing, because a black kid was mowing a lawn, because a black landscaper was trimming a tree, because a black real estate agent was going into a house (with a key!), because a 7 year-old black girl was selling bottled water, because a black girl was sleeping in the student lounge, because a black man was walking down a street ... etc. etc. etc. ad nauseum.

no, this wasn't racism.

:rolleyes:

Nov 2012
Kekistan
just like an apologist

this is no different than the woman who called 911 because black folks were barbecuing, because a black kid was mowing a lawn, because a black landscaper was trimming a tree, because a black real estate agent was going into a house (with a key!), because a 7 year-old black girl was selling bottled water, because a black girl was sleeping in the student lounge, because a black man was walking down a street ... etc. etc. etc. ad nauseum.

no, this wasn't racism.

:rolleyes:
Yeah, I guess it was different than all that straw man stuff you just spread

Reactions: 3 people
Dec 2006
New Haven, CT
sorry - that was all real - it's easy enough to google if you're truly interested

if you are on social media at all - or read any kind of news information (beyond right wing crap) - you would know this is happening on an almost daily basis that's REPORTED upon - probably more often than that in reality

Reactions: 1 person