"Both Sides are the Same"

Jul 2019
Georgia
also known as Bothsideism

I used to be a Bothsideist. Well I was a raging Repub, then a Bothsideist (which meant I called myself a Libertarian)

and I think it used to be kind of an accurate belief,

but now.....

~~~~

when people talk about "sides", I assume we're talking about Dems vs Repubs, because those are defined. Right vs Left is more of a spectrum thing. Someone can be left leaning (like me), and someone can be hard left, left-center, etc, same for right

So "both sides" ----- meaning "both Republicans and Democrats"

Right now, they are not the same. Yes, there are definitely negative features of both parties, and though I find myself siding with Dems more these days, I'm not technically a Democrat. But I still see that they're not the same.

I feel this has been a gradual progression with Republicans, but now they are the party of trump. They embrace and enable him, so he is the face of the Republican Party. And sorry, there is no face of the Democrat party that is near the level of insane as him. Not one.

For me, how I choose to vote is about human decency. There is one party that is erring on the side of human decency much more than the other.

I'd vote Republican again some day, but they got to put decent human beings back up first.

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
I posted something on another thread I think deserves repeating here

Muddy the waters.

“Sure I said Mexico would pay for the wall, then wanted the Americans to pay for it, then took the money from the military, then hired personal friends to build it, then separated kids from their families, then lost kids, then tried to make it so I could separate them perminantly, then tried to deport terminally ill kids. Sure I did all that... but Joe Biden’s kid got a job he didn’t deserve.”

Dec 2015
Arizona

I used to be a Bothsideist. Well I was a raging Repub, then a Bothsideist (which meant I called myself a Libertarian)

but now.....

~~~~

when people talk about "sides", I assume we're talking about Dems vs Repubs, because those are defined. Right vs Left is more of a spectrum thing. Someone can be left leaning (like me), and someone can be hard left, left-center, etc, same for right

Right now, they are not the same. Yes, there are definitely negative features of both parties, and though I find myself siding with Dems more these days, I'm not technically a Democrat. But I still see that they're not the same.

I feel this has been a gradual progression with Republicans, but now they are the party of trump. They embrace and enable him, so he is the face of the Republican Party. And sorry, there is no face of the Democrat party that is near the level of insane as him. Not one.

For me, how I choose to vote is about human decency. There is one party that is erring on the side of human decency much more than the other.

I'd vote Republican again some day, but they got to put decent human beings back up first.
WHEW! I'm glad you got to the part about "NOT THE SAME". I was worried for a minute.
The parties are NOT the same. NOT the same at all.
Want to know my "AHA" moment? It was Sandy Hook. THAT was when I knew. AND I bet you can guess why.

Apr 2019
America

but now.....

~~~~

And sorry, there is no face of the Democrat party that is near the level of insane as him.
The New Green Deal is not insane? Medicare for all is not insane? Taking guns is not insane? Banning free speech is not insane? Yelling racist and Nazi until they are blue in the face is not insane?

Meanwhile the crazy guy in the WH has made the economy boom, has not started a new war, and made a difference in the numbers flocking to our borders. Rebuilt our military and has taken on China's cheating the world and this country.

Jul 2019
Georgia
The New Green Deal is not insane? Medicare for all is not insane? Taking guns is not insane? Banning free speech is not insane? Yelling racist and Nazi until they are blue in the face is not insane?
I don't think all of those things are insane, but for the sake of argument, name one person, who is a big name Dem, who is pushing all of those ideas. Just one.

Jul 2019
Georgia
WHEW! I'm glad you got to the part about "NOT THE SAME". I was worried for a minute.
The parties are NOT the same. NOT the same at all.
Want to know my "AHA" moment? It was Sandy Hook. THAT was when I knew. AND I bet you can guess why.
absolutely.

Sandy Hook showed a party that refused to do anything about 1st grade kids being murdered at school. I have a young son too, so it hit me especially hard.