Buy American II

Apr 2013
La La Land North
I'm not sure what to make of this. Probably not good news in part, but it does confuse the buy American meme.

Want to buy an American car? Better get one while they last.

Only 10 vehicles qualified this year for the annual American-Made Index from Cars.com, and just three of them are from domestic brands.

The Ford F-150 pickup took the top spot for the second year in a row, while the Chevrolet Corvette Stingray came in seventh and the Detroit-built Dodge SRT Viper rounded out the list in tenth.

The other seven vehicles on the list -- which disqualifies cars with less than 75 percent of their parts made in the U.S. or Canada and factors in their sales impact on the U.S. economy -- were all U.S. built products from Toyota and Honda.

The American Automobile Labeling Act classifies cars and parts manufactured in Canada as "domestic."

Three other vehicles technically qualified, but were left off the list since they are being discontinued.

The results mark a steady decline in eligible vehicles, down from 14 last year, 20 in 2012 and 30 in 2011, and reflect the growing globalization of the industry, where a Ford Fiesta, for instance, is assembled in Mexico with engines made in Brazil and Romania.

Here’s the full list:

Ford F-150

Toyota Camry

Honda Odyssey

Toyota Sienna

Toyota Tundra

Toyota Avalon

Chevrolet Corvette Stingray

Honda Ridgeline

Honda Crosstour

Dodge SRT Viper
Are 'American' cars are going extinct? | Fox News

Last edited:
Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
Thanks I have pointed this out.. many times.

Toyota Camry is built about 50 miles from my home.. Kias and Hyundais are built about 120 miles from where we live. (if you take that list they ~11 - 15 range

Nov 2012
Gamma Solaris
I'm not sure what to make of this. Probably not good news in part, but it does confuse the buy American meme.

Are 'American' cars are going extinct? | Fox News
Cars needed to sell for whatever the company could get in order to even out overheads...especially the employee loadings. The unions have done their job in this repect. However, with more and more demands, corners were cut and quality diminished. Foreign cars got better. Now? Slaves are assembling Great Wall cars in China unfettered by onerous employee worries.

Trump's right: a 25% excise on Chinese products...