California meets greenhouse gas reduction goal years early

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
Good for California and their false sense of security. I bought a new Vega with California emission in 71. That Vega only made it 60 miles before it blew the head gasket and only got 10 miles per gallon with a four cylinder engine. I bought a new 73 Nova SS350 with California emission and it was a dog. I bought a new 74 Dodge Crestwood with California emission and it was under powered. California emission ng baho, stinks.
That was 40 years ago. Technology has caught up with the automobile. Today you can walk right into your local Chevy dealer and buy a Corvette Z06 that makes an insane 650 horsepower. That's 0 to 60 in 3.3 seconds. 0 to 150 comes in 17 seconds. The quarter mile goes by in 11.4 seconds at 127 mph. It meets California emissions, gets in the low 20s mpg on the highway has a warranty and cold AC. Not fast enough for you, order up the Z06 even bigger bother, the ZR1 with 755 horses !!!!

Need to haul some groceries and friends to dinner ?? Skip the Vette and head on down to your Cadillac dealer. Grab a CTS-V sedan. It only makes 640 horses, but it does have four doors and a trunk.

Back then 300 horses was BIG horse power for the street. And yes they got single digit gas mileage. Today even fairly pedestrian cars make 300 plus. My company car is a Chevy Impala. 3.6 liter V6, makes 305 horses and averages a little 28 mpg.

All of these, and many more from other manufacturers, are available in all 50 states.

Jul 2015
chicago
Crapola. Politics is involved in that list. Look at the EPA today under Dot Don, and tell me that politics aren't driving laws and regulations.
Politics is part of everything. Scientists get government grant money to study the effects of fake bullshit.

I watched a House Hunters International TV show a few weeks ago. The person moving from the USA to France was doing so based on getting a grant to study the effects of global warming on a specific lizard in France. Sounds great. I want a grant to move to France too. How wonderful. Do you suppose his conclusions might result in him having to continue to study the lizard for years to come?

Politics is in everything and even more so in the industry of studying global warming.

Apr 2013
Left coast
Lets have the target to reduce actual pollutants. I could care less about reducing CO2 as that is simply part of clean air.
You and Dot Don vs virtually all the world's climatologists and atmospheric scientists.

Again I ask, do you know what pH is?

Apr 2013
Left coast
Politics is part of everything. Scientists get government grant money to study the effects of fake bullshit.

I watched a House Hunters International TV show a few weeks ago. The person moving from the USA to France was doing so based on getting a grant to study the effects of global warming on a specific lizard in France. Sounds great. I want a grant to move to France too. How wonderful. Do you suppose his conclusions might result in him having to continue to study the lizard for years to come?

Politics is in everything and even more so in the industry of studying global warming.
Q. How much was the grant?

Q. How much has Exxon, the Kochs and the Heritage Foundation paid to stupid fake science denier sites and propagators?

This money claim is even stupider than the denial of AGW.

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
Lets have the target to reduce actual pollutants. I could care less about reducing CO2 as that is simply part of clean air.

You're missing the point. If you reduce the CO2 output, you also reduce everything else.

A car that gets 30 mpg will produce less CO2 AND less of everything else than car that only gets 15 mpg. The emissions controls on cars have reduced individual pollutants by about 99 percent. The only way to reduce that even further is to simply use LESS fuel. Less fuel means less of EVERYTHING. Of course mpg isn't the ONLY measure. The manufacturing process produces pollution as well. Everything from casting the metals to creating the plastics to painting the car. By working to reduce the vehicle's TOTAL carbon foot print, we reduce ALL of the related emissions.

Jul 2015
chicago
Q. How much was the grant?
…..
I do not know. Its this guys grant and thousands of other grants. All these thousands and thousands of scientist earning their livings off of this pursuit makes the theory locked in regardless of its validity.

Apr 2013
Left coast
I do not know. Its this guys grant and thousands of other grants. All these thousands and thousands of scientist earning their livings off of this pursuit makes the theory locked in regardless of its validity.
You don't know what they are studying. Just like you don't know what pH is.

And if you don't know what pH is, you are just flapping your fingers when you discuss CO2.