California's Largest Utility to Shut Down

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
Thorium would actually be better. However, that does not eliminate the problem with power lines/transformers which was what caused the fires. Maybe they should try burying the lines:

Or maybe cut executive bonuses, dividends and board member stipends and put that money into infrastructure maintenance?

Feb 2006
California
Thorium would actually be better. However, that does not eliminate the problem with power lines/transformers which was what caused the fires. Maybe they should try burying the lines:

Solar on every home would eliminate the problem posed with power lines/transformers hence no more fires.

Solar power, like other renewable energy resources, has many environmental and health benefits!

Jun 2018
South Dakota
My sister lives near Sacramento. Here's what she just emailed me:
"The latest on the power shut offs in Northern CA is that 500,000 are without power now and this afternoon another 300,000 will have power cut. Windy and dry conditions are the cause according to PG&E (the power company). Very hard for those who lose power as it takes days to restore. Have seen in print that this could last as long as 7 days. We are not affected here in Sutter County as of now but 23 counties are affected. The San Francisco Bay area is part of this shut off. There are maps available to view of the locations if you Google power shut offs in Northern CA."
No wonder Newsome is squealing like a stuck pig.
All those electric trolley busses and the cable cars? Not the cable cars! They can't do that, think of all the coronaries due to having to walk up those hills

Jun 2018
South Dakota
Solar on every home would eliminate the problem posed with power lines/transformers hence no more fires.

Solar power, like other renewable energy resources, has many environmental and health benefits!

There's not enough sq footage on the average residential lot to power a house with todays electrical draws. The part of the article that can be read without subscribing is very negative.
We must keep going forward with the programs till a "breakthru" emerges and saves the planet.
OBTW I've seen the kind of arcing in the megavolt lines in the desert, awsome and chilling at the same time. Clearing the areas along the rights of way will go far in suppressing the fires.

Nov 2005
California
To clarify, the wind gusts are extreme.
The weather conditions prompted Pacific Gas and Electric Co. to plan to shut off power to more than 800,000 customers to prevent wind-blown power lines and equipment from sparking devastating wildfires, as they did in 2017 and 2018.​

Or maybe cut executive bonuses, dividends and board member stipends and put that money into infrastructure maintenance?
:p
That's the second time I've heard that recommendation today. hehe

Jun 2018
La Pine, Oregon

Perhaps when they get a battery system that lasts more then 5 years. And then you have to figure out a system that can actually power more then a 2 bedroom house, plus the 12 volt frig's, etc. Solar is great, but it does have its limitations whereas thorium is safe, could be used to power a whole community off one reactor, and one could put the lines underground

Jun 2018
La Pine, Oregon
While I agree with the sentiment, I have a problem figuring out how your solution would prevent trees from falling on the lines during an 90MPH wind storm. Like I have said before, putting the lines underground would solve a lot of the problems.

If they can go under oceans I am sure they can go underground as they have in many places:

Last edited:
Feb 2006
California
Perhaps when they get a battery system that lasts more then 5 years. And then you have to figure out a system that can actually power more then a 2 bedroom house, plus the 12 volt frig's, etc. Solar is great, but it does have its limitations whereas thorium is safe, could be used to power a whole community off one reactor, and one could put the lines underground
It's happening!

Jun 2018
La Pine, Oregon
It's happening!

Yes, more companies are going solar. However, the creation of the battery capable of storing the needed energy seems to be far off in the future. Currently the businesses going solar, like Facebook in Central Oregon, are feeding the electricity created into the power systems currently operating. And it take acres of land to produce that electricity.