Can I say it now?

Jul 2008
Virginia Beach, VA
No, no, I agree that's what he should have done.

He should have said, "This Chinese virus is a Yuge deal. This Chinese virus is a product of China that we dont' need, so I'm doing everything I can to close travel from China. But other nations have not done this so I will close travel from other nations as well."

We know before the virus outbreak he would have been savaged by the dems and the media for saying that. What was the point at which the dems and the media would have agreed and not demonized him for saying that? Give me an event or an approximate date the crises was bad enough that this would have happened?

There is no such date or event. He handled this poorly at the start, but anyone the Dems have to offer would have been far, far worse.
And he should have been savaged for saying something like that. Calling it the "Chinese virus" is just a dog whistle for his isolationist, xenophobic base.

What he should have said is, "We are aware of a new viral outbreak in China. In an overabundance of caution we are going to restrict travel from the affected region. We will be offering the Chinese government any assistance they might need at this time. "

Feb 2020
Houston
And he should have been savaged for saying something like that. Calling it the "Chinese virus" is just a dog whistle for his isolationist, xenophobic base.

What he should have said is, "We are aware of a new viral outbreak in China. In an overabundance of caution we are going to restrict travel from the affected region. We will be offering the Chinese government any assistance they might need at this time. "
Ok, fair enough. Your way would be better.

But that would be out of character for Trump, I'm sure you would agree.

So what if the choice was this and the choice is yours to make:

Think of the date you believe Trump should have said what you say he should have said (and I agree).

If that were not possible due to Trump's defective character, would you prefer that Trump:

a) Say what I said he should have said that was isolationist and xenophobic
or
b) Do exactly what he did do.

The question really is whether you think political correctness is more important than saving American lives.

I await your response.

Jul 2008
Virginia Beach, VA

Think of the date you believe Trump should have said what you say he should have said (and I agree).

If that were not possible due to Trump's defective character, would you prefer that Trump:

or

The question really is whether you think political correctness is more important than saving American lives.

I await your response.
The point is what you said, “Trump’s defective character’

This man has no business being president. There are those of this who were pointing out his “defective character” when he first announced he was running.

I, for one, am not going to stop pointing out his “defective character’ until he is out of office and any of those in the government who supported him are also out of office.

I think saving lives is the most important thing and almost EVERYTHING this president has done (and continues to do) in regards to this crisis is not doing that and, in many cases, is costing lives.

Nov 2018
Rocky Mountains

or

I await your response.
It should be called the Trump virus.

Reactions: se7en and Clara007
May 2019
USA
If Trump had taken drastic steps in preparation for the COVID pandemic coming to the U.S., like closing off the border and limiting travel to the U.S. for non-citizens the media would have gone ape shit and you know it. They'd say, "TRUMP ATTEMPTS TO DISTRACT FROM SCANDAL RIDDEN PRESIDENCY BY USING THE CORONAVIRUS TO JUSTIFY SEIZING POWER TO ENACT HIS AGENDA WITHOUT CONGRESSIONAL CONSENT."
Biden and Sanders are STILL saying it is xenophobic and hysterical to close the border and no matter how many times I mention it, no liberal comments.
Trump's supposed coronavirus hoax inactions rivals those burning Bush's lynching enforcement immaculate drug conceptions for Arab "death to the infidels" flying carpet terrorists which threatened POTUS prior to that second coming thru 9/11...

Nov 2018
Rocky Mountains

He should have said, "This Chinese virus is a Yuge deal. This Chinese virus is a product of China that we dont' need, so I'm doing everything I can to close travel from China. But other nations have not done this so I will close travel from other nations as well."

We know before the virus outbreak he would have been savaged by the dems and the media for saying that. What was the point at which the dems and the media would have agreed and not demonized him for saying that? Give me an event or an approximate date the crises was bad enough that this would have happened?

There is no such date or event. He handled this poorly at the start, but anyone the Dems have to offer would have been far, far worse.
@SeymourFlops2020, you seem to be saying Trump only failed by a clumsy attempt to close the borders. IF he actually acted with a deep understanding of the threat the Trump Virus could cause, he should have made the case to the American people. Instead, his order was seen as just another atavistic isolationist action taken to promote xenophobia. It was HIS duty to make the case for the danger he perceived (if he really did) by the coronavirus epidemic in China.
Then he should have pursued testing capabilities and ensured that they were adequate; he should have assessed stockpiles and reserves of ventilators, protective equipment and other material resources; he should have coordinated and demanded state response plans, and he should have alerted the nation to the potential strain on the health system and the economy from quarantine policies. His inaction has produced the current situation. The duty of the President is to rally the nation when there is a threat such as this. He failed to do so. He owns the clumsy US response to this epidemic and deservedly so.

Dec 2015
Arizona
Flops quote from above: "What you are so mistaken about is your belief that in the absence of Trump, government would have acted with wisdom, forethought, decisiveness and bipartisan cooperation."
It is not a mistake to be prepared. It is never a mistake to err on the side of caution. It is never a mistake to ASSUME the worst and be proactive. It's rarely a mistake to HIRE SOMEONE with experience and expertise--someone with intelligence.
YOUR president downplayed the virus for weeks, as the U.S. Intel agencies warned of growing danger. Trump may not have been expecting this, but a lot of other people in the government were—they just couldn’t get him to do anything about it. Trump dragged his feet in January and February while world leaders SHOUTED their warnings, but OH NO!
America is TOO TOO great---no way would the virus DARE to invade our sacred space. It's a hoax. It's a Chinese flu.

There was no urgency, according to Trump, and NOW there are 85,000 cases and 1300 AMERICANS are dead. Trump OWNS these sick and dead and SO DOES anyone who voted for this pathetic excuse of a president.

Dec 2015
Arizona
Now Trump supporters are trying to argue that "he is not so bad" considering how bad other people might be.
Just how bad does Trump need to be to merit even the slightest recognition of malfeasance by a true Trump supporter-zombie?
OH BROTHER! Just keep lowering the bar -- lower--lower---what happens when the BAR hits the ground? Do we DIG a hole? Then a bigger hole?
We should have known. We should have KNOW WHEN TRUMP was caught on an open mic, but the excuses started and thousands of lies later the CULT is still protecting him.
1300 Americans have died from the virus. Over 3 million have applied for unemployment. Businesses are closed.
Children are not in school. Parents are not working. Grocery shelves are empty. AND the disciples are still making excuses for the man responsible.
I'll bet the Clintons, the Obamas and the Bushes are in absolute disbelief as they watch this shitstorm unfold. I really wish ALL of them would start addressing the nation.

Dec 2015
Arizona

That. Right there. The statement YOU MADE directly above this. ⬆
That's a lie.
That's your opinion.
That not factual.
You don't know that and yet you state it like it's an absolute truth.
AND it's just one more of your shitty excuses.
Even Dubya would have handled this mess better than Trump. Why? Because Dubya had governing experience, good advisers (mostly), intelligent staff and a whole host of connections to the world.

Feb 2020
Houston
Flops quote from above: "What you are so mistaken about is your belief that in the absence of Trump, government would have acted with wisdom, forethought, decisiveness and bipartisan cooperation."
It is not a mistake to be prepared. It is never a mistake to err on the side of caution. It is never a mistake to ASSUME the worst and be proactive. It's rarely a mistake to HIRE SOMEONE with experience and expertise--someone with intelligence.
YOUR president downplayed the virus for weeks, as the U.S. Intel agencies warned of growing danger. Trump may not have been expecting this, but a lot of other people in the government were—they just couldn’t get him to do anything about it. Trump dragged his feet in January and February while world leaders SHOUTED their warnings, but OH NO!
America is TOO TOO great---no way would the virus DARE to invade our sacred space. It's a hoax. It's a Chinese flu.

There was no urgency, according to Trump, and NOW there are 85,000 cases and 1300 AMERICANS are dead. Trump OWNS these sick and dead and SO DOES anyone who voted for this pathetic excuse of a president.
Yes, Trump said some stupid things at the beginning of this and I'm sure he wishes he hadn't but his ego won't ever let him say so. But he's been taking action since he realized his mistake so pretending that every single thing he does is wrong is just a way to continue to express anger that he got elected in the first place.

The point is that someone would have been president if it weren't Trump and you're building up this hypothetical non-Trump president as She Who Would Have Saved Us All. Suppose it were Clinton or Warren?

How much sooner would they have closed the borders than Trump did? We know how soon the remaining Dem candidates would do it: never.

Would she have sent as much help to Texas, Wyoming and Utah, states that never vote Dem as Trump has sent to New York and California, the bluest of blue?

If the houses were divided in congress like they are now, would she say, "send me a bill and I'll sign it," or would she be as partisan as always and push the Dem agenda only?

I'm not asking because I've asked enough what would a hypothetical non-Trump president do differently and all anyone keeps coming back to is a couple of dumb things he said and tweeted. I don't agree with many of Trumps actions in this because they violate so many of my libertarian beliefs. But they certainly are in line with what both Dems and Reps are doing.