Can We Just Get Rid of Identity Politics?

Jan 2015
MD
All of this racial/sexual/national/etc division helps no one. It's led to violence and has made society in general more toxic. I for one am tired of hating people and being hated; I want to be able to love people. It's exhausting. It's also irresponsible: Prejudice is just a projection of one's own personal problems on others, instead of dealing with those problems yourself. Countless societies have been destroyed and torn asunder due to this obsession with identity and worship of victimhood. Why do some people want this? Try to love people, love everyone you meet. Regardless of if you disagree with them or not. I know how difficult that is for me, so I can only wonder how difficult it is for others. We must not let toxic people and toxic ideologies destroy our society.

Perhaps the whole root of our trouble, the human trouble, is that we will sacrifice all the beauty of our lives, will imprison ourselves in totems, taboos, crosses, blood sacrifices, steeples, mosques, races, armies, flags, nations, in order to deny the fact of death, the only fact we have. It seems to me that one ought to rejoice in the fact of death--ought to decide, indeed, to earn one's death by confronting with passion the conundrum of life. One is responsible for life: It is the small beacon in that terrifying darkness from which we come and to which we shall return.”

-James Baldwin

Jul 2014
massachusetts
It's here because it works.

If the world was filled with people as smart as James Baldwin, it wouldn't work.

Jul 2014
massachusetts
How does it work? Explain.
It wins elections.
Candidates who talk about issues and policies lose, candidates who attack their opponents win.

The game of politics has been perfected, and you see these wedge issues used in cobbling together a bare majority.

Jan 2015
MD
It wins elections.
Candidates who talk about issues and policies lose, candidates who attack their opponents win.

The game of politics has been perfected, and you see these wedge issues used in cobbling together a bare majority.
Which is sad.

Jan 2015
MD
Sadly, we live in a nation of morons.
I saw "I am not your negro" last year, I had forgotten how freakin' brilliant he was.
If we had more people like that, we'd live in a much better world.
I own a copy of The Fire Next Time. When I first bought it and read it, I did so in the context of "social justice" and Black nationalism. The book itself echoes these sentiments, even if it is angry in tone, and the quote in the OP actually comes from that book. I plan on re-reading it in the context of the Christian humanistic worldview I have now at some point.

Apr 2013
La La Land North
I had the joy of loving my work and my family. That left too little time for me to stay up on the political situation. The kids grew up and left, and I was forced to become a consultant, which is lucrative when you work but does give you free time. But at least I could then follow politics. And my first shocker was how negative most US political advertising was. At that time we didn't see it up here. In one election a party tried it and the blowback was serious.

Unfortunately, that has changed, It is happening here too, and I'd like Michael T's input but some UK friends tell me they too are seeing more and more of that.

Like goober says, it works. How do we change that?

Why can't the people learn that they should be voting for something and not against something?

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
All of this racial/sexual/national/etc division helps no one. It's led to violence and has made society in general more toxic. I for one am tired of hating people and being hated; I want to be able to love people. It's exhausting. It's also irresponsible: Prejudice is just a projection of one's own personal problems on others, instead of dealing with those problems yourself. Countless societies have been destroyed and torn asunder due to this obsession with identity and worship of victimhood. Why do some people want this? Try to love people, love everyone you meet. Regardless of if you disagree with them or not. I know how difficult that is for me, so I can only wonder how difficult it is for others. We must not let toxic people and toxic ideologies destroy our society.

I don't know how we'll ever get around it. Stop and consider where the identity politics came from. There are still lots of people, supposedly religious people, that want to use their interpretations of the parts of the bible they believe in, to pass laws that impact other people. My first two years in school were segregated. The justice system is still inherently unbalanced when it comes to dealing with minorities. Once the laws were changed and they couldn't openly discriminate against black folks, those same fine religious folks decided that homosexuals were the new evil.

I truly am a live and let live type of person. But sadly most people aren't like me. They feel this need to impose their particular version of morality on every one around them and they aren't happy until they do. And they become extremely unhappy when someone has the unmitigated audacity to tell them no you can't do that.

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
I don't know how we'll ever get around it. Stop and consider where the identity politics came from. There are still lots of people, supposedly religious people, that want to use their interpretations of the parts of the bible they believe in, to pass laws that impact other people. My first two years in school were segregated. The justice system is still inherently unbalanced when it comes to dealing with minorities. Once the laws were changed and they couldn't openly discriminate against black folks, those same fine religious folks decided that homosexuals were the new evil.

I truly am a live and let live type of person. But sadly most people aren't like me. They feel this need to impose their particular version of morality on every one around them and they aren't happy until they do. And they become extremely unhappy when someone has the unmitigated audacity to tell them no you can't do that.

I wish you could step back and see that the left has become more vial than i ever remember the religious right being. Now, im not talking about the Phelps s but the mainstream. They are the new puritans in our current moral panic. In saying this i am in no way dismissing the atrocities done in the name of this magic man or the next jusr that this is an important aspect to examine.