Can We Just Get Rid of Identity Politics?

Jan 2015
MD
ok yeah the title is insane, and you are right about that. its unfortunate that he had to do that to bring attention to the very important things he brought up. i didnt pay any attention to either title, and looked more for what they were saying. i still say his piece was very good, but i can see the issue with the stupid comparison of Black men to white.
He wasn’t saying anything we didn’t already know, but he needed a clickbait title to make what he was saying seem unique. It’s a testament to how much of a hustle “social justice” has become.

Apr 2013
La La Land North
Of course not, but the rhetoric is stupid and one can argue that Black women are in fact the “White people” considering the fact that Black women are statistically more educated and employed than Black men are.

The point is why would I do that? It’s counterproductive and a bridge to nowhere. We need to come together not play the oppression olympics. We need to concentrate on the things that unite us. Black, White, Man, Woman, etc.
Yup again, what we are for should predominate, not what we are against.

Feb 2019
here and there
All of this racial/sexual/national/etc division helps no one. It's led to violence and has made society in general more toxic. I for one am tired of hating people and being hated; I want to be able to love people. It's exhausting. It's also irresponsible: Prejudice is just a projection of one's own personal problems on others, instead of dealing with those problems yourself. Countless societies have been destroyed and torn asunder due to this obsession with identity and worship of victimhood. Why do some people want this? Try to love people, love everyone you meet. Regardless of if you disagree with them or not. I know how difficult that is for me, so I can only wonder how difficult it is for others. We must not let toxic people and toxic ideologies destroy our society.
To answer your question, no, it is not possible.

Politics is not about unifying people, it is about dividing people. After all, if you knew that both candidates were going to treat you just as fair as everyone else, from where would the money pour in to defeat the other guy? More importantly, would you even bother to vote?

No, politics is about either finding a division or manufacturing a division in order to gain support. There is perhaps no better way to do so than by race, or color of skin, because people are simple minded. In fact, with the Jewish persecution in Europe they were made to wear special hats and outfits so they could be immediately spotted. Therefore, it behooves one to pick someone of a different color of skin so that going to such great lengths is not needed.

I will go a step further, race is 100% insignificant EXCEPT when it comes to two issues, which are politics and health care. In health care, it is important to know the genetic background of someone in order to know if they are at risk for certain genetically transmittable problems, like sickle cell. Outside of that, race is only an issue when it comes to politics and division.

But with the term racism now being used in such a loose and casual fashion, the term has been virtually been watered down to becoming meaningless, which does nothing but demean those in the past who have encountered true racism, again, that was all politically motivated. People wanted to have a leg up on another group of people. That is the continual drum beat of political discourse. Without it, it all falls apart.

It's like I always say, everyone has a God and a devil. Unfortunately, we all need an opponent, and if we can't find a real one, we will manufacture one.

Dec 2018
New England
How does it work? Explain.
It plays on our tribal instincts. It creates a sense of "us" which then leads inexorably to a sense of "them." That's when the blame-game starts, as in "your life isn't what you want it to be and they are to blame." It's age-old game in politics, and nobody does it better than today's progressive left.

Jan 2015
MD
To answer your question, no, it is not possible.

Politics is not about unifying people, it is about dividing people. After all, if you knew that both candidates were going to treat you just as fair as everyone else, from where would the money pour in to defeat the other guy? More importantly, would you even bother to vote?

No, politics is about either finding a division or manufacturing a division in order to gain support. There is perhaps no better way to do so than by race, or color of skin, because people are simple minded. In fact, with the Jewish persecution in Europe they were made to wear special hats and outfits so they could be immediately spotted. Therefore, it behooves one to pick someone of a different color of skin so that going to such great lengths is not needed.

I will go a step further, race is 100% insignificant EXCEPT when it comes to two issues, which are politics and health care. In health care, it is important to know the genetic background of someone in order to know if they are at risk for certain genetically transmittable problems, like sickle cell. Outside of that, race is only an issue when it comes to politics and division.

But with the term racism now being used in such a loose and casual fashion, the term has been virtually been watered down to becoming meaningless, which does nothing but demean those in the past who have encountered true racism, again, that was all politically motivated. People wanted to have a leg up on another group of people. That is the continual drum beat of political discourse. Without it, it all falls apart.

It's like I always say, everyone has a God and a devil. Unfortunately, we all need an opponent, and if we can't find a real one, we will manufacture one.
Doesn't make it any less stupid.

It plays on our tribal instincts. It creates a sense of "us" which then leads inexorably to a sense of "them." That's when the blame-game starts, as in "your life isn't what you want it to be and they are to blame." It's age-old game in politics, and nobody does it better than today's progressive left.
How about when the right does it?

Sep 2018
KC, MO
Can We Just Get Rid of Identity Politics?

Absolutely Not !!
It Drives The Democrat Machine
With Monies And Political Gain
This Is No Time To Stop

Division Rules !!

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
who is the biggest victim...? gay men? jews? minorities? gay minorities? the disabled, gay disabled bi racial muslim jews? it becomes so absurd, its the opposite of what martin luther king talked about.. we were all to become equal citizens not a bunch of bitter tribes pointing fingers , its a recipe for destruction, OF EVERYTHING

This is why i identify as an African American transgender lesbian w/ Parkinson's. Plus it makes finding an open restroom much easier.

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
wow i wish i was in that happy land where everyone had equal rights and nobody was being shit on by the ridiculous religious right in this country.

the whole point is to get to where we dont need this.

Yeah, just think if you were to get punched in the face for expressing your opinion in public or something.

oh wait.... leftists have been doing that to people for the better part of two years now.

I lament for the days when the crazy fundamentalists were the biggest threat to liberty in this nation at least you could reason w/ them.