Chants of 'I can't breathe!' erupt as the officer in the Eric Garner case won't face federal charges

Oct 2010
Colorado
Does anyone else remember the video, Garner doing nothing proactive, and while being choked by a cop not in uniform, saying repeatedly "I can't breathe"?

Chants of 'I can't breathe!' erupt as the officer in the Eric Garner case
won't face federal charges
Five years ago today, Eric Garner's final words "I can't breathe" sparked a nationwide rallying cry to demand more police accountability in the deaths of unarmed black men.​
But on the eve of the anniversary, Garner's family was grieving again -- this time because the Justice Department announced Tuesday it was declining to bring federal charges against the New York police officer accused of using a chokehold on the 43-year-old father of six.​
....​
...The city medical examiner's office ruled Garner's death a homicide. The medical examiner testified that Pantaleo's alleged chokehold caused an asthma attack and was "part of the lethal cascade of events."...​
...Attorney General William Barr made the decision to not bring charges against Pantaleo, siding with a Justice Department team from New York over the Civil Rights Division in Washington.​
The decision stemmed from concerns that prosecutors could not successfully prove the officer acted willfully, a senior Justice Department official said.​
"While willfulness may be inferred from blatantly wrongful conduct, such as a gratuitous kick to the head, an officer's mistake, fear, misperception, or even poor judgment does not constitute willful conduct under federal criminal civil rights law," Donoghue said....​

Eric Garner's supporters chant 'I can't breathe!' as the officer under investigation won't face federal charges - CNN

May 2019
USA
I remember the video of him refusing to put his hands behind his back after being told he was being arrested resulting in him ultimately ending up on the ground, yes.

May 2018
Chicago
I remember the video of him refusing to put his hands behind his back after being told he was being arrested resulting in him ultimately ending up on the ground, yes.
Right, that justified killing him. Yes? Even when he said he couldn't breathe?

What was Garner's crime? Selling loose cigarettes. Wow, thank god the cops were there. :rolleyes: Can you imagine the carnage if he was not caught and killed?

Last edited: