Chick-fil-A’s Creepy Infiltration of New York City

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
New York has taken to Chick-fil-A. One of the Manhattan locations estimates that it sells a sandwich every six seconds, and the company has announced plans to open as many as a dozen more storefronts in the city. And yet the brand’s arrival here feels like an infiltration, in no small part because of its pervasive Christian traditionalism. Its headquarters, in Atlanta, are adorned with Bible verses and a statue of Jesus washing a disciple’s feet. Its stores close on Sundays. Its C.E.O., Dan Cathy, has been accused of bigotry for using the company's charitable wing to fund anti-gay causes, including groups that oppose same-sex marriage. “We’re inviting God’s judgment on our nation,” he once said, “when we shake our fist at him and say, ‘We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage.’ ” The company has since reaffirmed its intention to “treat every person with honor, dignity and respect,” but it has quietly continued to donate to anti-L.G.B.T. groups. When the first stand-alone New York location opened, in 2015, a throng of protesters appeared. When a location opened in a Queens mall, in 2016, Mayor Bill de Blasio proposed a boycott. No such controversy greeted the opening of this newest outpost. Chick-fil-A’s success here is a marketing coup. Its expansion raises questions about what we expect from our fast food, and to what extent a corporation can join a community.
https://www.newyorker.com/culture/annals-of-gastronomy/chick-fil-as-creepy-infiltration-of-new-york-city

The horror!!!

Reactions: 1 person
Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
I had never tried that place until last summer when i was on a big shake kick as we don't really do a lot of fast food (the wife made it against the law) the sonic over here was doing "happy hour" so you could get a big ass shake for a couple bucks. Well, i gave chick-fil-a a shot. That spicy chicken sandwich is probably the best fast food chicken sandwich around, their shakes are bad ass, and the service is miles above the rest of the fast food in the area.

Funny thing the chick-fil-a in one of the suburbs right outside of the city shares a parking lot w/ hobby lobby.

Dec 2006
New Haven, CT
:lol:They're opening on Times Square ... they should do well - almost everybody there is visiting from somewhere else.

Reactions: 1 person
Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
I love Chick-fil-A! They have outdone themselves with yummy food and excellent service!

Go Chick!

Those goddamn billboards started popping up all over well before they opened any stores here. I had to google what they were for.