Children Exposed To Religion Have Difficulty Distinguishing Fact From Fiction, Study

Jun 2014
United States
Children Exposed To Religion Have Difficulty Distinguishing Fact From Fiction, Study Finds

Young children who are exposed to religion have a hard time differentiating between fact and fiction, according to a new study published in the July issue of Cognitive Science.

Researchers presented 5- and 6-year-old children from both public and parochial schools with three different types of stories -- religious, fantastical and realistic –- in an effort to gauge how well they could identify narratives with impossible elements as fictional.

The study found that, of the 66 participants, children who went to church or were enrolled in a parochial school were significantly less able than secular children to identify supernatural elements, such as talking animals, as fictional.

By relating seemingly impossible religious events achieved through divine intervention (e.g., Jesus transforming water into wine) to fictional narratives, religious children would more heavily rely on religion to justify their false categorizations.

“In both studies, [children exposed to religion] were less likely to judge the characters in the fantastical stories as pretend, and in line with this equivocation, they made more appeals to reality and fewer appeals to impossibility than did secular children,” the study concluded.

. . .
You think?

Apr 2005
Poplar, MT
Hmm let's see, if you search even more about this study, it studies 66 kids. 66 chlidren age 5 to 6. We have a population of how many million????

Now I understand for liberals a number like 66 is a huge number for MSNBC viewership!!! But for the rest of us, does it not seem like it was really, really small. I mean really, really, REALLY!!!!!

But if we look a little farther in the report what do we find, this innocuous statement:

“Children with exposure to religion — via church attendance, parochial schooling, or both — judged [characters in religious stories] to be real,” the authors wrote.

So let's see religious Children believe that Moses was a real person, the Joseph was a real person, that Abraham was a real person, the Issac was a real person, and God forbid, Jesus was a real person.

Who would have thunk!!!! Three degrees from three different universities and an associate professorship, damn, I would have thought her degree came from a box of Cracker Jacks!!!!

dmk

Jul 2008
Virginia Beach, VA
Hmm let's see, if you search even more about this study, it studies 66 kids. 66 chlidren age 5 to 6. We have a population of how many million????

Now I understand for liberals a number like 66 is a huge number for MSNBC viewership!!! But for the rest of us, does it not seem like it was really, really small. I mean really, really, REALLY!!!!!

But if we look a little farther in the report what do we find, this innocuous statement:

“Children with exposure to religion — via church attendance, parochial schooling, or both — judged [characters in religious stories] to be real,” the authors wrote.

So let's see religious Children believe that Moses was a real person, the Joseph was a real person, that Abraham was a real person, the Issac was a real person, and God forbid, Jesus was a real person.

Who would have thunk!!!! Three degrees from three different universities and an associate professorship, damn, I would have thought her degree came from a box of Cracker Jacks!!!!

dmk
And there is no evidence that Moses, Joseph, Abraham or Isaac were real people.

I will grant that Jesus was probably a real person but that sure as hell doesn't prove he was part deity.

Nov 2012
Gamma Solaris

dmk
If there's an indoctrination as just posted...so be it. Maybe it'll balance out the "I have two mommies" or "I have three daddies" or "I wanna take all the rich peoples' money" or "Jews are bad" or "it's okay to kill babies" or "mustaches on ladies izz nice" or "zygotes aren't fertilised"......:wacko:

Apr 2005
Poplar, MT

I will grant that Jesus was probably a real person but that sure as hell doesn't prove he was part deity.
And yet we know that the Bible is one of the most historically accurate books of all time!!!!

29 Kings from ten nations (Egypt, Assyria, Babylon and more) are mentioned not only in the Bible but are also found on monuments of their own time
R.D. Wilson

So if not for the Bible we would not have known these Kings until the archaeologists found the monuments.

It took science until 1993 to prove the existence of David. But it was found at Tel Dan, in the north of Israel,.

To this day archaeologist's use the Bible as a resource and reference.

dmk

Jun 2012
Barsoom

Too bad there is evidence of their existence. Your God hating methodology of assessing history can only be found on atheist websites.

Jul 2008
Virginia Beach, VA
Too bad there is evidence of their existence. Your God hating methodology of assessing history can only be found on atheist websites.
No, there isn't. That is not to say that they didn't exist, but without evidence I have no reason to believe that they did.

Your Dominionist methodology of assessing history notwithstanding.

Jun 2012
Barsoom
No, there isn't. That is not to say that they didn't exist, but without evidence I have no reason to believe that they did.

Your Dominionist methodology of assessing history notwithstanding.
Your God hating methodology of assessing history is a couple meters below the bottom rung of the illiteracy ladder. Just because your hatred of God and the Bible guides every conceivable moment of your life, it cannot override history and archeology.