China Just Got Handed The Oil Deal Of A Lifetime

Sep 2019
Texas
An article from 1920 no less !!!! The REASON Admiral Rickover insisted on and built our nuclear powered navy is for this very reason. One of his protege's, Jimmy Carter, warned us again in that our dependence on foreign oil was THE single biggest threat to our national security. OPEC proved him right !!! You can't fight if you don't have fuel. Ultimately this was Japan and Germany's down fall. Our carriers and subs can go for decades before needing to be refueled. It wasn't long ago there was discussion on this very board about how the navy was wasting time and money on developing alternative fuels for it's aircraft. 70% of the fuel used by the navy is jet fuel. If we are ever in a real war again, access to jet fuel will make or break us. But, because it was under Obama, it was automatically a "BAD" idea right ??
The oil shortage was make believe- follow the money. The shortage was to try and scare us. It worked apparently. Partisan bickering is a bad idea- it "fuels" partisan bickering to *defeat* citizens. Follow the money.

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
The oil shortage was make believe- follow the money. The shortage was to try and scare us. It worked apparently. Partisan bickering is a bad idea- it "fuels" partisan bickering to *defeat* citizens. Follow the money.

Everybody knows the "oil shortages" were fake. That's not news. Doesn't change the fact that we are still too dependent on foreign oil. Doesn't change the fact the military needs alternative fuels/energy to fight a serious war. Doesn't change the fact that we are 5% of the world's population yet consume more than 20% of the world's energy supply. Doesn't change the fact China has 1.4 Billion people. India 1.3 Billion. Each has more people in their emerging middle classes than we have people. Sooner or later we WILL be in conflict for natural resources. Carter was absolutely right. We SHOULD be investing heavily in alternative and most importantly renewable energy supplies. One of my real disappointments with Obama was that the stimulus package had so little money for green energy. I drove a fully engineered and ready for production hydrogen fuel cell vehicle 12 years ago. Honda has been quietly leasing the Clarity if you live in certain zip codes. Less than $10 billion for infrastructure was needed. That's just one example. But here was are, not only re we still buying huge, over weight, un-aerodynamic SUVs that get shitty gas mileage, we now have a president that wants to ROLL BACK the CAFE standards. And the real irony is the people that bought those big ass trucks WILL BE the ones screaming the loudest when gas prices go up again, and they will !!! I won;t see it. Our children might get by. But I seriously worry about the grand kids and whether or not they'll have anything that resembles America when they're my age.

Reactions: YoursTruly
Feb 2014
Oregon
I was watching a video last night of a guy who bought a small car, for almost nothing. He pulled out the engine and tranny, connected an electric motor to the transmission, reinstalled everything, including the new components for the electric motor. Bought his battery packs and other stuff.

Long story short, he built a totally electric car from existing parts and supplies that he bought and made it work. And for a lot less than what one would buy an electric car, even used, from a dealer.

Point is, bring on the wars. Bring on the high gas prices. Bring on the political BS that oil brings. People will find a way to tell the oil companies, oil producing countries and the government to FCK OFF!!!!!!

I, for one, will be glad when the issue of oil is about the same as bubble wrap.

I hate to be a party pooper but batteries depend on lithium and cobalt and there are problems with mining and processing them and then disposing of them. The problems of war and government instability that comes with oil can come with any resource we dig out of the ground.

A Looming Shortage of Lithium and Cobalt? Depends on Electric Cars, Politics, and Battery Chemistry

Then there is the problem of how electricity is made. It can be made with fossil fuels, and then we still have the problem of fossil fuels. There is also all the products made with oil including commercial fertilizers that keep us fed and all our plastic products. The seriousness of any of these problems is the size of the population so quit fucking, okay? :lol: I am responding to your attitude. A mass of humanity comes with problems and perhaps blaming the government for the problems is not the best way to manage our reality? It makes no more sense than worshipping a pharaoh or other ruler who is supposed to have the power of a god. We should neither worship our leaders nor blame them. Instead, we should share information and work together on the problems that need our attention. You know we the people, and government of the people, by the people for the people.

Feb 2014
Oregon
OH MY GOD! THE OIL SHORTAGE WAS NOT FAKE AND JIMMY CARTER WAS RIGHT. EXACTLY THE SAME AS THE 1920 WARNING OF ECONOMIC PROBLEMS AND POSSIBLE WAR. IF WE HAD NOT DEVELOPED FRACKING OUR ECONOMY WOULD BE IN THE TIOLET AND OUR NATIONAL SECURITY WOULD NOT EXIST.

I need to calm down but when the masses do not understand reality, that is a very serious problem. How do you figure the oil shortage was faked? Perhaps if I understand your fantasy of reality, I can manage this disagreement with reason, instead of feeling like this is the end of the world and nothing can be done about it because humans are not the intelligent creature they think they are.

Sep 2019
Here
Everybody knows the "oil shortages" were fake. That's not news. Doesn't change the fact that we are still too dependent on foreign oil. Doesn't change the fact the military needs alternative fuels/energy to fight a serious war. Doesn't change the fact that we are 5% of the world's population yet consume more than 20% of the world's energy supply. Doesn't change the fact China has 1.4 Billion people. India 1.3 Billion. Each has more people in their emerging middle classes than we have people. Sooner or later we WILL be in conflict for natural resources. Carter was absolutely right. We SHOULD be investing heavily in alternative and most importantly renewable energy supplies. One of my real disappointments with Obama was that the stimulus package had so little money for green energy. I drove a fully engineered and ready for production hydrogen fuel cell vehicle 12 years ago. Honda has been quietly leasing the Clarity if you live in certain zip codes. Less than $10 billion for infrastructure was needed. That's just one example. But here was are, not only re we still buying huge, over weight, un-aerodynamic SUVs that get shitty gas mileage, we now have a president that wants to ROLL BACK the CAFE standards. And the real irony is the people that bought those big ass trucks WILL BE the ones screaming the loudest when gas prices go up again, and they will !!! I won;t see it. Our children might get by. But I seriously worry about the grand kids and whether or not they'll have anything that resembles America when they're my age.

"WE" are not dependent on foreign oil. "WE" don't import oil. The oil companies do.
I hate to be a party pooper but batteries depend on lithium and cobalt and there are problems with mining and processing them and then disposing of them. The problems of war and government instability that comes with oil can come with any resource we dig out of the ground.

A Looming Shortage of Lithium and Cobalt? Depends on Electric Cars, Politics, and Battery Chemistry

Then there is the problem of how electricity is made. It can be made with fossil fuels, and then we still have the problem of fossil fuels. There is also all the products made with oil including commercial fertilizers that keep us fed and all our plastic products. The seriousness of any of these problems is the size of the population so quit fucking, okay? :lol: I am responding to your attitude. A mass of humanity comes with problems and perhaps blaming the government for the problems is not the best way to manage our reality? It makes no more sense than worshipping a pharaoh or other ruler who is supposed to have the power of a god. We should neither worship our leaders nor blame them. Instead, we should share information and work together on the problems that need our attention. You know we the people, and government of the people, by the people for the people.

FYI, I'm not against oil. My response come from my opposition to oil being used for things where other things can be used to take oils place. I believe that in 100 years or less, oil will be a thing of the past. It can't be pumped out and not replaced forever.
Plus there's a possibility that the oil in the ground is actually needed to be there. For ever action there's an equal and opposite reaction. Everything has a purpose. What good does oil, deep in the ground, do? Is it something that scientist haven't realized yet?
We have the technology. Yet because it's not as profitable, we don't use it.
Why aren't we using magnets to create electricity?

Considering this: There's a lot of moving parts on a car. Anything that spins can be magnetized and surrounded by copper coils. When those two things get close enough to each other, spinning the right RPM's, you create electricity. A lot of vehicles have a drive shaft and an axle shaft. Coils could be wrapped around those things that would create enough electricity to power the vehicle.

Point is, Lithium will be replaced eventually. Oil will also be replaced. If it's all profit driven, corruption will follow. That's what money does.

Sep 2019
Here
OH MY GOD! THE OIL SHORTAGE WAS NOT FAKE AND JIMMY CARTER WAS RIGHT. EXACTLY THE SAME AS THE 1920 WARNING OF ECONOMIC PROBLEMS AND POSSIBLE WAR. IF WE HAD NOT DEVELOPED FRACKING OUR ECONOMY WOULD BE IN THE TIOLET AND OUR NATIONAL SECURITY WOULD NOT EXIST.

I need to calm down but when the masses do not understand reality, that is a very serious problem. How do you figure the oil shortage was faked? Perhaps if I understand your fantasy of reality, I can manage this disagreement with reason, instead of feeling like this is the end of the world and nothing can be done about it because humans are not the intelligent creature they think they are.
I think people get the idea that the oil shortage was fake because of all the oil deposits that have been discovered in the last 50 years. It was there when the shortage was going on. So therefore to them, there was no shortage.
Our refining capacity, lack of technology to find oil and drill deeper for it and fracking has come a long way since Carter was president.

Feb 2014
Oregon
Exactly what do you mean by follow the money? Please make an argument that can be validated with facts and avoid making comments that appear to convey information about "inside information" but do not. Statements such as your post are a very serious problem and such beliefs without facts threaten the world right now. This has to stop. Pick up a geology book and get informed before spreading a false belief any further.

Sep 2019
Texas
Exactly what do you mean by follow the money? Please make an argument that can be validated with facts and avoid making comments that appear to convey information about "inside information" but do not. Statements such as your post are a very serious problem and such beliefs without facts threaten the world right now. This has to stop. Pick up a geology book and get informed before spreading a false belief any further.
My "belief" isn't false- follow the money is as solid an answer as there is- and the books I read are not political- STOP telling me (and others) what we should do according to you- you don't have that right and you don't have that authority- money drives the world- I don't need a book to point that out- so, it stands to reason following it will lead to the answer of who benefits- how about YOU use the internet for something other than spreading "false" information- who benefits?