China, the rise of A.I.D.S and liberalism?

Dec 2018
U.S
Gu Su (b. 1955)
Chinese philosopher Gu Su has had the precarious position of introducing liberal philosophies into Chinese culture. Having been the recipient of both a Eastern and Western education (Nanjing and Duke), he published the massively influential Essential Ideas of Liberalism which has been published in both Taiwan and mainland China, in which he argued for the benefits of liberal policies within the Chinese political system. In 2010, he worked with fellow Chinese philosopher Yu Keping on the anthology: Democratization: The Chinese Model and Course of Political Development. Gu Su is member of editorial Board of the journal NanoEthics and currently a Senior Fellow at the Institute for the Advanced Study of Social Sciences at Fudan University.

10 Contemporary Philosophers to Read Today

Dec 2018
U.S
In the past, saying 'I'm gay' in public was a shaming experience. And in the past telling an elderly woman to 'shut her trap' was also shaming. How are we doing today?

Dec 2018
U.S
Let me see if this is correct.

If homosexuality is a birth 'trait' but the numbers might have been fewer in the past decades, etc. and it seems as if more persons/per capita, is of that 'trait' today, might it be true that the reason why there seemed to be less then than now might be because I'm not looking at the past numbers as part of the per capita of then?

So maybe its not the homosexuality part that is changing but the way the others in that society, parents included, are.

And it does seem as if liberalisms is the direction it has headed.

I think certain middle Eastern States, which at one time was/were very anti effeminism is/are/has been heading in the same direction.

Are 'philosophies' making themselves think; question the 'refusing' of certain 'natural' occurrances as being unnecessary??

After all, naturally, the world seems to be heading in a certain direction, naturally, right??

So what might happen if someone refuses the common movement. What was the common movement in the past decades? Was there any such 'common' movement then?

Last edited:
Dec 2018
U.S
So if as children we were reprimanded for telling an elderly woman to 'shut her trap' or if when we were younger we were shamed if we publicly said 'I'm gay', how has anything changed and in which direction did we go 'till now if when we see the exact same things being committed in the younger ones; only seen as a 'larger' part of the community group, we respond, maybe being in the same age of our parents when we were reprimanded, and yet choosing a certain response??

And how has our feelings and thoughts towards persons who are old enough to be our parents or maybe grandparents; Generation Y, when we see them treated with disrespect, changed, or not, and in which direction have we grown and heading?

Last edited:
Aug 2019
De Congo
Mother Nature has her ways to correct over populations and she always wins. I'm glad to see so many "Genetic Dead Ends" cropping up here, there and everywhere.
Darwin also wins in this case...there is just SO MUCH WIN..!!!!!

May 2019
USA
Not sure what the OP has to do with AIDS but I do recall hearing that years ago china had a massive HIV/AIDS outbreak because the way they were processing blood. They basically were mixing it all together in a big batch and then extracting the blood for transfusion so one person could have infected a massive number of people at once.

May 2018
Chicago
I'm not sure what the point of this thread is. But as a 52 year old gay man who lived through the 80s, I'm tired of justifying my existence to ignorant people who have no desire to listen or learn in the first place.