China's response to Trump's threats

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
I know that, you know that, China knows that. I just can't believe that Trump doesn't know that but he knows his base is dumb enough to believe that.
Factually speaking, they are that dumb. They are "showing China" by paying Trump's tariff's on Chinese goods, and, those tariffs are going to the federal government.

The tariffs are taxation, evil federal government taxation.

China Trade War: What Is A Tariff And Who Pays It?

Marcus Livius

Former Staff
Sep 2017
Hell
China hasn't paid a dime. You and I have.
While technically true in your sense, China has paid in lost revenues due to losing a price point competitive edge,

A product that I sell is from a German company of high repute. I sold it for $128 in the 1990's to about 2008. This German manufacturer then moved the entire plant to China during the global recession and as a result it got manufacturing so cheap that was selling for $40 until the Trump tariffs happened. It now cost $55 and guess what? The equivalent US product that never sold at $50 is now moving off the shelves. That is just one product, but similar results are moving across the spectrum of my sales. Chinese products are now more expensive than counterparts from Eastern Europe and far outpacing prices from say Vietnam and Thailand. Yes, China is paying.

Nov 2018
Inner Space
While technically true in your sense, China has paid in lost revenues do to losing a price point competitive edge,

A product that I sell is from a German company of high repute. I sold it for $128 in the 1990's to about 2008. This German manufacturer then moved the entire plant to China during the global recession and as a result it got manufacturing so cheap that was selling for $40 until the Trump tariffs happened. It now cost $55 and guess what? The equivalent US product that never sold at $50 is now moving off the shelves. That is just one product, but similar results are moving across the spectrum of my sales. Chinese products are now more expensive from counterparts in Eastern Europe and far outpacing prices from say Vietnam and Thailand. Yes, China is paying.
How much is China "paying"?
I think that Trump is about to trigger inflation in the US and rising prices rarely, if ever, get reduced when costs by importers are reduced.

Dec 2015
Arizona
AND the DOW plummets, Trump pushes back his deadlines, proclaims "I'm out of patience!" and uses his "Be Best" tactic:

Threats.

Marcus Livius

Former Staff
Sep 2017
Hell
How much is China "paying"?
I think that Trump is about to trigger inflation in the US and rising prices rarely, if ever, get reduced when costs by importers are reduced.
I just told you that Chinese products are losing market share due to higher prices? That is not rocket science. Inflation was already on the rise before the trade war, are you oblivious to prices when shopping?

A lot of the brands that I sell are already pulling manufacturing out of China, including American and European owned brands. A lot of offshore manufacturing is going to Eastern Europe.

Mar 2019
Texas
I just told you that Chinese products are losing market share due to higher prices? That is not rocket science. Inflation was already on the rise before the trade war, are you oblivious to prices when shopping?

I lot of the brands that I sell are already pulling manufacturing out of China, including American and European owned brands. A lot of it is going to Eastern Europe.

So does this mean trump ties and campaign materials are now more expensive?

Usa Flags?