CHRISTCHURCH IS STILL REELING FROM NEW ZEALAND’S WORST MASS SHOOTING

Oct 2010
Colorado
My youngest lives in Auckland. From her:

Heavily armed personnel are eerywhere. Still have security people posted in my work building (90% govt offices) and cops with machine guns at the mosques. It's different dad.

What a shame. Auckland has no racial majority. Walking the downtown streets was a pure pleasure a year ago.

“There’s something about Christchurch now. There’s this weird cloud over it.”
...New Zealanders have responded with love for — and curiosity about — the country’s Muslim community. “We lost 50, but we gained 5 million,” Mazharuddin Syed Ahmed told VICE News inside Masjid Al Noor, making reference to New Zealand’s population.​
Thousands have visited mosques across the country, and that support, Ahmed said, has been warmly received. “Now, as a dark person and as a person from another country, I am counted. I am somebody in this country. And I am sorry to say it has happened, but by the same token it has given us so much blessing.”​
Anthony Jamaal Green, 71, who has been appointed to an interim council of the Muslim Association of Canterbury for a six-month period in the wake of March 15, joined the conversation. He was overseas at the time of the atrocity, but he still shares in the community's deep, vivid and visceral trauma. “You can’t unfeel, in a sense, the blood of someone else pouring on you. You can’t unsee things that are not talked about in the news, which are, you know, seeing parts of the skull of somebody who was a dear friend, someone you prayed beside.”​
Green and Ahmed agree that New Zealand has a big problem — the rise of the alt-right, white-supremacist beliefs of the type that motivated the Christchurch terrorist. On Thursday evening, a 33-year-old man in a "Trump for New Zealand" T-shirt was arrested after allegedly shouting “All Muslims are terrorists” outside Masjid Al Noor while kicking at the tributes left to the victims. University students in Auckland have written an open letter claimingthat since Christchurch the far right has been on the rise on campus. “We have a teaching in Islam,” Green said, “that says when there is an organ in the body which if it is sick then the whole body is sick, and that is the heart. And that applies on the micro level of the individual, it applies within a community, it applies within the wider community, and it applies within the world.”​

Trump for New Zealand, of course.

Lots more at the link above.

Oct 2010
Colorado
Nov 2013
El Paso, TX
The real tragedy here is 50 people were killed by a coward while they were praying.
Of course that is a tragedy, but people are killed all the time without it making the news, especially when the killers are Western military. But I personally view the failure of Muslims to properly implement Islam as a bigger tragedy because this results in 1.8 billion people living much worse lives than they could be living.

Oct 2010
Colorado
Of course that is a tragedy, but people are killed all the time without it making the news, especially when the killers are Western military. But I personally view the failure of Muslims to properly implement Islam as a bigger tragedy because this results in 1.8 billion people living much worse lives than they could be living.
You have my heart and prayers for you in this difficult time.

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
So they are winning.

Have you read the manifesto... the manifesto that NZ has banned people from sharing. The manifesto that they are jailing people for having on their electronic devices. The manifesto that calls for this kind of overreaction as one of the primary motivations to these events.

That manifesto?

May 2018
Chicago
You have my heart and prayers for you in this difficult time.
I hope that if I'm ever in a situation where I might be shot and you're there with an opportunity to prevent it, that you don't just say your heart and prayers are there.

Because quite frankly, hearts and prayers don't do shit.

After my brother's suicide, people said this garbage. What would have actually helped is if my brother could not have bought a gun immediately on site after his wife decided to divorce him. Yes, he might have jumped off a bridge or whatever. But you know what else? We might have had time to get to him beforehand. As it was, he bought a gun and did it before anyone had any time to react. It was literally hours. No one had any time to get to him. He was my baby brother. There is not a day that goes by when I don't think of what I could have done.

When I hear "thoughts and prayers" I wanna shoot somebody myself. "Thoughts and prayers" mean nothing.

Tell you what means something to me- waiting periods.

Oh but, "Our thoughts and prayers..." Fuck thoughts and prayers. DO SOMETHING to prevent it in the future. "Thoughts and prayers" do nothing.

Last edited:
Oct 2010
Colorado
I hope that if I'm ever in a situation where I might be shot and you're there with an opportunity to prevent it, that you don't just say your heart and prayers are there.

Because quite frankly, hearts and prayers don't do shit.
That was sarcasm.

Thanks for the ongoing lessons in courage. Maybe someday I'll discover mine.

May 2018
Chicago
That was sarcasm.

Thanks for the ongoing lessons in courage. Maybe someday I'll discover mine.
Nah, I'm sorry. This thread hit a nerve. We were helpless to save my brother, as this family was to save their son. Trump shit on that with his love for Kim. Some people have no shame. I just don't get it.

If there is a hell, and seriously, I really hope there is, Trump will have a special room that caters to every evil thing that man has done in the world.

What was done to Otto Warmbier should have been considered an act of war. At the very least requiring sanctions. Trump? Oh Kim didn't know, we're best friends. Fuck you, Trump. You fucking piece of shit.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/01/politics/otto-warmbier-family-trump-north-korea/index.html

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/01/politics/otto-warmbier-family-trump-north-korea/index.html

Last edited: