Christian Thought of the Day

Jul 2018
Earth
To hate or not to hate?

Luke 14:26 (NKJV) = “If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple."

1 John 3:15 (NKJV) = "15 Whoever hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him."

Jul 2018
Earth
Here's a good old First Commandment directive ~ follow the party line or get killed.

"Deuteronomy 13:6-11 (MSG) =
6-10 And when your brother or son or daughter, or even your dear wife or lifelong friend, comes to you in secret and whispers, “Let’s go and worship some other gods” (gods that you know nothing about, neither you nor your ancestors, the gods of the peoples around you near and far, from one end of the Earth to the other), don’t go along with him; shut your ears. Don’t feel sorry for him and don’t make excuses for him. Kill him. That’s right, kill him. You throw the first stone. Take action at once and swiftly with everybody in the community getting in on it at the end. Stone him with stones so that he dies. He tried to turn you traitor against God, your God, the one who got you out of Egypt and the world of slavery.

11 Every man, woman, and child in Israel will hear what’s been done and be in awe. No one will dare to do an evil thing like this again."

The relevant part of the First Commandment in relation to the above passage is Exodus 34:12-16 (KJV) =
"12 Take heed to thyself, lest thou make a covenant with the inhabitants of the land whither thou goest, lest it be for a snare in the midst of thee:

13 But ye shall destroy their altars, break their images, and cut down their groves:

14 For thou shalt worship no other god: for the Lord, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God:

15 Lest thou make a covenant with the inhabitants of the land, and they go a whoring after their gods, and do sacrifice unto their gods, and one call thee, and thou eat of his sacrifice;

16 And thou take of their daughters unto thy sons, and their daughters go a whoring after their gods, and make thy sons go a whoring after their gods."

In the New Testament the character Jesus wimped out on obeying the First Commandment when the mob brought the woman before him and accused her of committing adultery (worshiping another God other than their favorite delusion).

John 8:1-11 John8:1-11 CEB;CEV;MSG;KJV;NKJV - And Jesus went to the Mount of Olives. - Bible Gateway

Jesus was caught between a rock and a hard place. He had been going around flapping his jaws about how he was so special, being the son of God and the way to heaven and all, that he couldn't condemn the woman for worshiping another God because she had probably been worshiping him. So he had to let her go although he should have cast the first stone at her because of his special status as God's boy.

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
Here's a good old First Commandment directive ~ follow the party line or get killed.

"Deuteronomy 13:6-11 (MSG) =
6-10 And when your brother or son or daughter, or even your dear wife or lifelong friend, comes to you in secret and whispers, “Let’s go and worship some other gods” (gods that you know nothing about, neither you nor your ancestors, the gods of the peoples around you near and far, from one end of the Earth to the other), don’t go along with him; shut your ears. Don’t feel sorry for him and don’t make excuses for him. Kill him. That’s right, kill him. You throw the first stone. Take action at once and swiftly with everybody in the community getting in on it at the end. Stone him with stones so that he dies. He tried to turn you traitor against God, your God, the one who got you out of Egypt and the world of slavery.

11 Every man, woman, and child in Israel will hear what’s been done and be in awe. No one will dare to do an evil thing like this again."

The relevant part of the First Commandment in relation to the above passage is Exodus 34:12-16 (KJV) =
"12 Take heed to thyself, lest thou make a covenant with the inhabitants of the land whither thou goest, lest it be for a snare in the midst of thee:

13 But ye shall destroy their altars, break their images, and cut down their groves:

14 For thou shalt worship no other god: for the Lord, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God:

15 Lest thou make a covenant with the inhabitants of the land, and they go a whoring after their gods, and do sacrifice unto their gods, and one call thee, and thou eat of his sacrifice;

16 And thou take of their daughters unto thy sons, and their daughters go a whoring after their gods, and make thy sons go a whoring after their gods."

In the New Testament the character Jesus wimped out on obeying the First Commandment when the mob brought the woman before him and accused her of committing adultery (worshiping another God other than their favorite delusion).

John 8:1-11 John8:1-11 CEB;CEV;MSG;KJV;NKJV - And Jesus went to the Mount of Olives. - Bible Gateway

Jesus was caught between a rock and a hard place. He had been going around flapping his jaws about how he was so special, being the son of God and the way to heaven and all, that he couldn't condemn the woman for worshiping another God because she had probably been worshiping him. So he had to let her go although he should have cast the first stone at her because of his special status as God's boy.
John 8
1But Jesus went to the Mount of Olives.

2 Now [a]early in the morning He came again into the temple, and all the people came to Him; and He sat down and taught them. 3 Then the scribes and Pharisees brought to Him a woman caught in adultery. And when they had set her in the midst, 4 they said to Him, “Teacher, [b]this woman was caught in adultery, in the very act. 5 Now [c]Moses, in the law, commanded us [d]that such should be stoned. But what do You [e]say?” 6 This they said, testing Him, that they might have something of which to accuse Him. But Jesus stooped down and wrote on the ground with His finger, [f]as though He did not hear.

7 So when they continued asking Him, He [g]raised Himself up and said to them, “He who is without sin among you, let him throw a stone at her first.” 8 And again He stooped down and wrote on the ground. 9 Then those who heard it, being[h] convicted by their conscience, went out one by one, beginning with the oldest even to the last. And Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst. 10 When Jesus had raised Himself up [i]and saw no one but the woman, He said to her, “Woman, where are those accusers [j]of yours? Has no one condemned you?”

11 She said, “No one, Lord.”

And Jesus said to her, “Neither do I condemn you; go [k]and sin no more.”

What other God?

Jul 2018
Earth
John 8
1But Jesus went to the Mount of Olives.

2 Now [a]early in the morning He came again into the temple, and all the people came to Him; and He sat down and taught them. 3 Then the scribes and Pharisees brought to Him a woman caught in adultery. And when they had set her in the midst, 4 they said to Him, “Teacher, [b]this woman was caught in adultery, in the very act. 5 Now [c]Moses, in the law, commanded us [d]that such should be stoned. But what do You [e]say?” 6 This they said, testing Him, that they might have something of which to accuse Him. But Jesus stooped down and wrote on the ground with His finger, [f]as though He did not hear.

7 So when they continued asking Him, He [g]raised Himself up and said to them, “He who is without sin among you, let him throw a stone at her first.” 8 And again He stooped down and wrote on the ground. 9 Then those who heard it, being[h] convicted by their conscience, went out one by one, beginning with the oldest even to the last. And Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst. 10 When Jesus had raised Himself up [i]and saw no one but the woman, He said to her, “Woman, where are those accusers [j]of yours? Has no one condemned you?”

11 She said, “No one, Lord.”

And Jesus said to her, “Neither do I condemn you; go [k]and sin no more.”

What other God?
In the Bible the word "adultery" usually means worshiping another God unless it is used specifically in a sexual context. In the case of the woman it could mean that she was worshiping Zeus, Mercury, or one of the Roman Gods but it probably meant that she was worshiping the Jesus character since he was going around flapping his jaws about how he was God's boy.

Jeremiah 3:9 (ERV) = Judah did not care that she was acting like a prostitute. So she made her country ‘dirty.’ She committed the sin of adultery by worshiping idols made out of stone and wood.

Ezekiel 6:9 (TLB) = Then when they are exiled among the nations, they will remember me, for I will take away their adulterous hearts—their love of idols—and I will blind their lecherous eyes that long for other gods. Then at last they will loathe themselves for all this wickedness.

Ezekiel 23:37 (CEB) = They committed adultery, so now blood is on their hands. They committed adultery with their idols, and they even took their children whom they had borne to me and offered them up to be consumed for them.

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
In the Bible the word "adultery" usually means worshiping another God unless it is used specifically in a sexual context. In the case of the woman it could mean that she was worshiping Zeus, Mercury, or one of the Roman Gods but it probably meant that she was worshiping the Jesus character since he was going around flapping his jaws about how he was God's boy.

Jeremiah 3:9 (ERV) = Judah did not care that she was acting like a prostitute. So she made her country ‘dirty.’ She committed the sin of adultery by worshiping idols made out of stone and wood.

Ezekiel 6:9 (TLB) = Then when they are exiled among the nations, they will remember me, for I will take away their adulterous hearts—their love of idols—and I will blind their lecherous eyes that long for other gods. Then at last they will loathe themselves for all this wickedness.

Ezekiel 23:37 (CEB) = They committed adultery, so now blood is on their hands. They committed adultery with their idols, and they even took their children whom they had borne to me and offered them up to be consumed for them.
You have it backwards. "Adultery" is a sexual act in which one or both participants are married to someone else. The term is used in an analogous fashion, along with forntication, to describe Israel's/Judah's worshipping other gods.

However, in the words of Christ, Matthew 5:28 -- “But I say to you, anyone who looks on a woman to lust after her has committed adultery with her already in his heart."

There's no doubt as to what he's referring.

Jul 2008
Virginia Beach, VA
For centuries the story of the womn brought to Jesus for adultery has been interpreted to mean sexual adultery. But once again the internet has produced a scholar that shows us how they were all wrong.

Oct 2010
Colorado
This is one of the few paintings with Mary or Jesus where Jesus looks like a regular guy. It is titled, simply, Christ and the Sinner Woman by Vasily Polenov. I saw it at the Russian Museum in St. Petersburg. The Russian Orthodox church criticized Polenov for making Christ look like ...... a regular guy. Here it is:

Screen Shot 2019-02-10 at 9.54.41 PM.jpg

To give an idea of the size of the painting.

DSCN0083.jpg

And the Christ who's "too human.

DSCN0088.jpg

Oct 2010
Colorado
I've seen many paintings similar to this, dark paintings inspired and commissioned by the Western and Eastern mother churches, churches which rewrote the Gospel, perverted the teachings of the Christ, and created the "christian" version of the ages-old, unholy marriage of church and state: Christendom. Christendom hid from the people the Gospel teachings, made it a crime for "ordinary" people to read the Scriptures, replacing the Good News with doctrines designed and intended to inspire guilt and fear, doctrines that denied one of the Christ's primary teachings, summed up here:

Matthew 23:8-12 (NKJV)
But you, do not be called ‘Rabbi’; for One is your [a]Teacher, [b]the Christ, and you are all brethren. Do not call anyone on earth your father; for One is your Father, He who is in heaven. And do not be called teachers; for One is your Teacher, the Christ. But he who is greatest among you shall be your servant. And whoever exalts himself will be [c]humbled, and he who humbles himself will be [d]exalted.

Uh, nope, that won't do. That runs exactly counter to the designs and intentions carried forward by Christendom's ministers, those who declare their god-anointed, irreplaceable role as intermediaries between the sinful and their god, dark ministers who counterfeit the Good News of universal salvation with doctrines of guilt and fear, of eternal torment, pain, and suffering, thieves who steal from the poor, who bless the murders demanded by kings, queens, prime ministers and presidents.

Thank you PTR for posting the alter ego of Polenov's work. Who is the painter?

Jan 2015
MD
Psalm 37:5-6 NIV
[5] Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him and he will do this: [6] He will make your righteous reward shine like the dawn, your vindication like the noonday sun. …

Tecarta Bible