Christian Thought of the Day

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
The Bible also explicitly says to “Do unto others as you would like to be done unto you.”
Actually these word do not appear in the bible, tho there are versus that say something similar.

This basic idea is found in almost every society that currently or has every existed. It's not exclusive to Christianity.

It is the only truth we need. If every one, regardless of religion, race, nationality, etc, etc, etc, ad nauseam, lived by this one rule we wouldn't have crime, discord or war.

Jan 2015
MD
Actually these word do not appear in the bible, tho there are versus that say something similar.

This basic idea is found in almost every society that currently or has every existed. It's not exclusive to Christianity.

It is the only truth we need. If every one, regardless of religion, race, nationality, etc, etc, etc, ad nauseam, lived by this one rule we wouldn't have crime, discord or war.
It is in the Bible:

“So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.”

-Matthew 7:12

I am also aware that this is contained in every religion. However, this very verse right here cancels the whole “the Bible endorses slavery” argument.

Jul 2018
Earth
It is in the Bible:

“So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.”

-Matthew 7:12

I am also aware that this is contained in every religion. However, this very verse right here cancels the whole “the Bible endorses slavery” argument.
Nope, it doesn't because the Bible is pro-slavery.

Leviticus 25:44-46 (CEB) =
44 Regarding male or female slaves that you are allowed to have: You can buy a male or a female slave from the nations that are around you. 45 You can also buy them from the foreign guests who live with you and from their extended families that are with you, who were born in your land. These can belong to you as property.46 You can pass them on to your children as inheritance that they can own as permanent property. You can make these people work as slaves, but you must not rule harshly over your own people, the Israelites.

Apr 2013
Left coast
This conversation is annoying and meaningless because you’ve ignored every single point that I’ve made
I'm sorry, but you are, IMO cherry picking the parts of the bible you like and agree with and ignoring the not-so-nice parts.