Civilization Facing Crisis If Humans Don’t Cut Back On Eating Red Meat

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
By my trying to eat a more healthful diet, I've been moving in this direction anyway.

Civilization Facing Crisis If Humans Don’t Cut Back On Eating Red Meat, Scientists Warn
...An international panel of experts called for a transformation in the way we eat and their plan is designed to save lives and the world we live in....​
“Our goal is to define a pathway whereby we can feed 10 billion people who will inhabit earth by 2050,” said Dr. Walter Willett, a professor at the Harvard School of Public Health.​
Scientists say civilization is in crisis, but our diet can be the solution.​
A new report suggests a radical change in the way we eat is needed, starting with strict limits on red meat.​
“It corresponds to roughly one fairly good-size hamburger per week,” Dr. Willett said. “Or if you like a big juicy steak, once a month....​
It says by the year 2050, global consumption of red meat and sugar should be cut in half, and that people should eat twice as many nuts, fruits, vegetables and legumes.​
The guidelines cut dairy to one serving a day, and fish to two servings per week.​
...The report addresses two issues: health and the environment.​
...The diet changes would address that and also reduce the impact of livestock, which is blamed for a lot of pollution.​

More: Civilization Facing Crisis If Humans Don’t Cut Back On Eating Red Meat, Scientists Warn

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
As far as I can tell, A&W, only in Canada piloted selling a burger (not to be confused with the imitation, burder) which contained a plant based meat substitute. They called it "Beyond Burger". When I heard about it, I wanted to try it. I kept putting it off for two days and when I finally had the chance, they were all sold out.

Demand was unbelievable, reviews were great and this was about 4 months ago. With that kind of a reception, I can't figure out why they haven't brought it back.

What does the Star’s restaurant critic think of A&W’s new veggie burger? | The Star

A&W Has A New, Buzzy Plant-Based Beyond Burger. But How Does It Taste?

Reactions: Lyzza
Jul 2018
Earth
Just remember that humans evolved into what we are today because they were all meat eaters. We would have became something else if they had been veggies. Eskimos were not bean, spinach and broccoli eaters.

May 2018
USA
As far as I can tell, A&W, only in Canada piloted selling a burger (not to be confused with the imitation, burder) which contained a plant based meat substitute. They called it "Beyond Burger". When I heard about it, I wanted to try it. I kept putting it off for two days and when I finally had the chance, they were all sold out.

Demand was unbelievable, reviews were great and this was about 4 months ago. With that kind of a reception, I can't figure out why they haven't brought it back.

What does the Star’s restaurant critic think of A&W’s new veggie burger? | The Star

A&W Has A New, Buzzy Plant-Based Beyond Burger. But How Does It Taste?
Those veggieburgers are always foul. Stick to a salad if you must.

Reactions: leekohler2

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
Just remember that humans evolved into what we are today because they were all meat eaters. We would have became something else if they had been veggies. Eskimos were not bean, spinach and broccoli eaters.
And the Inuit, the present preferred term, have a very short lifetime due to effects of malnutrition, specifically extreme vitamin deficiency.

Humans need protein, but those needs can be met with lentils and the like.

Reactions: Hollywood and Lyzza

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
Those veggieburgers are always foul. Stick to a salad if you must.
I know several people who have tried this new thing. And as I say, there were multiple reviews around here that said these were good, like really good.

I only posted sources that do actual food/restaurant evaluations and aren't afraid to dump on something. There were also a ton of healthfood and eco-warrior type sites singing its praises but I passed on those. I wouldn't trust them so why should I expect you to.