Collapse of the Republican party

Apr 2014
redacted
I've watched the Republican party from the 1960s with Barry "Mr. Conservative" Goldwater to present. I joined at 18 in the early 1970s but watched its slow downfall in the mid-80s when the Christian Coalition was allowed a major seat at the table (note Goldwater's remarks about it in his 1981 Congressional speech). The mid-1990s was a watershed toward it's collapse under Gingrich. The Neo-Cons added a few more nails in the coffin when they took power in 2000. The final collapse was with the election of Trump. I'd left it in 2012 to become an independent. I doubt any Republican who as sold their soul to Trump can ever recover their honor or credentials as a conservative. Those that didn't sell their souls are gone; either retiring, refusing to seek reelection or just dead.

This tweet by Lindsey Graham epitomizes both the recognition of the traditional Republican party on Trump and how it no longer exists just two years later:

If we nominate Trump, we will get destroyed.......and we will deserve it.

Graham was correct, but also a sellout of Republican values by selling his soul to be under Trump's grace.

As the French lawyer and philosopher
Joseph de Maistre once wrote:
Every nation gets the government it deserves.

America can save itself or continue to wallow in it's current mess. It's up to us, We, the People, to choose our own destiny.

Apr 2014
redacted
god i hope so why is it taking so long, step two is the collapse of the Democratic party
That is in progress. It took over 30 years for the Republican party to eat itself alive. The Democrats have been moving slower but the debacle in New York over Amazon has revealed a huge division within the party. That division will be exploited both by those inside the party ("You're either with us or against us!!!") and obviously outside the party.

Jun 2018
South Dakota
god i hope so why is it taking so long, step two is the collapse of the Democratic party
Dems are on their third attempt at reinventing themselves right now. It might work in 2020 but if they don't get all their little factions together they'll fail

Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
Gallup: Conservatives Outnumber Liberals in 47 of 50 States

In 47 states out of 50, conservatives outnumber liberals, according to pollsters Gallup.

Even as the number of those who self-identify as liberals or moderates has increased in recent years, Gallup notes, conservatives still significantly outnumber either group, and the increase in liberals has come from the tally of moderates.

Read Newsmax: Gallup: Conservatives Outnumber Liberals in 47 States | Newsmax.com
Urgent: Do you approve of Pres. Trump? Vote Here in Poll

isn't the presidential election.. 50 popular vote elections. with electors based on the population of the state.

Jul 2008
Virginia Beach, VA
Gallup: Conservatives Outnumber Liberals in 47 of 50 States

In 47 states out of 50, conservatives outnumber liberals, according to pollsters Gallup.

Even as the number of those who self-identify as liberals or moderates has increased in recent years, Gallup notes, conservatives still significantly outnumber either group, and the increase in liberals has come from the tally of moderates.

Read Newsmax: Gallup: Conservatives Outnumber Liberals in 47 States | Newsmax.com
Urgent: Do you approve of Pres. Trump? Vote Here in Poll

isn't the presidential election.. 50 popular vote elections. with electors based on the population of the state.
The “conservatives” here on DTT try to distance themselves from the GOP by claiming that they are not Republicans..they are “conservatives”.

The GOP is split..and that is the point of the OP. There are “conservatives” who support Trump (aka “sheep”) and conservatives who loathe Trump (aka “those with integrity”)

Dec 2015
Arizona
I'd like someone to name a SINGLE Republican president who, if they ran for president today, would be nominated/elected by the Republican Party of 2019. Just one.

Sep 2017
Hell
Abraham Lincoln. White guy living in a log cabin with a Bible and not sure quite sure what to do about the Negroes, but let's Make America Great Again.

Sep 2017
Hell
Nope, Lincoln fought a war that took away “state’s rights”
The right to secede.

Lincoln would have gone to war with or without Negroes.

Thanks for adding to my point.

Lincoln was a nationalist redneck waving Old Glory while hugging the Bible. What is not to like about that from a Republican POV?

Here is Abe Lincoln telling a "journalist" that he is writing "fake news":

Executive Mansion,
Washington, August 22, 1862.

Hon. Horace Greeley:
Dear Sir.

I have just read yours of the 19th. addressed to myself through the New-York Tribune. If there be in it any statements, or assumptions of fact, which I may know to be erroneous, I do not, now and here, controvert them. If there be in it any inferences which I may believe to be falsely drawn, I do not now and here, argue against them. If there be perceptable in it an impatient and dictatorial tone, I waive it in deference to an old friend, whose heart I have always supposed to be right.

As to the policy I "seem to be pursuing" as you say, I have not meant to leave any one in doubt.

I would save the Union. I would save it the shortest way under the Constitution. The sooner the national authority can be restored; the nearer the Union will be "the Union as it was." If there be those who would not save the Union, unless they could at the same time save slavery, I do not agree with them. If there be those who would not save the Union unless they could at the same time destroy slavery, I do not agree with them. My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause. I shall try to correct errors when shown to be errors; and I shall adopt new views so fast as they shall appear to be true views.

I have here stated my purpose according to my view of official duty; and I intend no modification of my oft-expressed personal wish that all men every where could be free.

Yours,
A. Lincoln.

Last edited: