Collapse of the Republican party

Jul 2018
Trump World! Where the circus is always in town.
That is in progress. It took over 30 years for the Republican party to eat itself alive. The Democrats have been moving slower but the debacle in New York over Amazon has revealed a huge division within the party. That division will be exploited both by those inside the party ("You're either with us or against us!!!") and obviously outside the party.

maybe it's time for a 3rd party. One for "norms" (normal people) that is centrist?

Nov 2018
Inner Space
Abraham Lincoln. White guy living in a log cabin with a Bible and not sure quite sure what to do about the Negroes, but let's Make America Great Again.
The great illusion of current Republicans is that the Party of Lincoln would be somehow be acceptable to Lincoln if he were alive today.

Nov 2018
Inner Space
The Republican Party is not in danger until former members realize that the Democratic Party is the only real alternative and only place for moderate Republicans. As it is, and as bad as it probably will be, with Trump, Trump is still considered better than ANY Democrat or ANY Democratic policy by almost every Republican. Even Jeff Flake could not bring himself to change parties. That says a lot about the Republicans' need to pursue failed polices and persist with anachronistic ideology.

Nov 2018
Inner Space
Sorry, Clara, but if the Democrats had nominated a less deplorable candidate, maybe Trump wouldn't have won. Don't blame Hillary's nomination on me, go look in a mirror.
One of the biggest problems in our society is that people do not take responsibility for their actions, yet feel entitled to complain about events that were the consequence of their behaviors.

Apr 2014
redacted
One of the biggest problems in our society is that people do not take responsibility for their actions, yet feel entitled to complain about events that were the consequence of their behaviors.
Is that a cry for help? Are you accepting responsibility for the election of Trump?

May 2018
USA
The GOP of Lincoln has been gone for over 100 years. The GOP is nothing more than a loose-coalition of 1) racist scum (Nazis and KKK types) 2) Evangelical hypocrites and 3) low-IQ red state white trash.

Feb 2019
here and there
I've watched the Republican party from the 1960s with Barry "Mr. Conservative" Goldwater to present. I joined at 18 in the early 1970s but watched its slow downfall in the mid-80s when the Christian Coalition was allowed a major seat at the table (note Goldwater's remarks about it in his 1981 Congressional speech). The mid-1990s was a watershed toward it's collapse under Gingrich. The Neo-Cons added a few more nails in the coffin when they took power in 2000. The final collapse was with the election of Trump. I'd left it in 2012 to become an independent. I doubt any Republican who as sold their soul to Trump can ever recover their honor or credentials as a conservative. Those that didn't sell their souls are gone; either retiring, refusing to seek reelection or just dead.

This tweet by Lindsey Graham epitomizes both the recognition of the traditional Republican party on Trump and how it no longer exists just two years later:

If we nominate Trump, we will get destroyed.......and we will deserve it.

Graham was correct, but also a sellout of Republican values by selling his soul to be under Trump's grace.

As the French lawyer and philosopher Joseph de Maistre once wrote:
Every nation gets the government it deserves.

America can save itself or continue to wallow in it's current mess. It's up to us, We, the People, to choose our own destiny.
Just out of curiosity, what is so terrible about Trump in your opinion?