Comedy on Campus Criticized As Too Insensitive

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
Essentially all the complaints about comedians and the a priori objections or interest in making a point about the content of the comedy represent protest speech. That has always been the case... in anticipation of controversial speakers or comedians with a disparaging message or, in some cases, courses with content that some deem to be controversial. Supressing the protest is suppression of expression. Too often comedians or speakers cave, expecting to be protected from complaint.

Yup, didnt think you would have an answer. Did you know that you can hear the devil if you play records backwards? Play it however you like.

Authoritarian leftists wish to silence voices they don't agree w/

Political correctness is censorship

Nov 2018
Montana
Yup, didnt think you would have an answer. Did you know that you can hear the devil if you play records backwards? Play it however you like.

Actually, political correctness is only an attempt at fairness, as naive as that may seem.

May 2018
USA
Don't buy a ticket to the show. Why do oversensitive, authoritarian leftists feel the need to force others to comply w/ what they "feel" is right?

It is disgusting.
LOL....if you don't like Rightwing dipshits invited to "entertain" students, then don't buy tickets? Funny, you seem to have a problem with the students expressing their opinion by boycotting the shows and getting those guys fired...

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
LOL....if you don't like Rightwing dipshits invited to "entertain" students, then don't buy tickets? Funny, you seem to have a problem with the students expressing their opinion by boycotting the shows and getting those guys fired...

I have a problem w/ political vigilantes pressuring venues to cancel shows. I could give a shit if those sad people "protest"

Sep 2015
Brown Township, Ohio
(I find this recent process of scrutiny of comedians to be curious more than some sort of constitutional crisis of free speech infringement. Historically, many jokes or comedy has fallen out of favor. There was a time when telling jokes about some racial or ethnic group was part of casual conversation. Now, those are generally disparaged as inappropriate or promoting racial stereotypes. I suspect that colleges are just a bit ahead of the curve on this one...)

Columbia students boot comedian off stage, citing offensive jokes

The Asian American Alliance at Columbia University last week interrupted an act by a relatively prominent Indian American comedian and former writer for Saturday Night Live, Nimesh Patel, during a cultural event the group sponsored.

His offense: jokes -- including some about black and gay people -- that alliance members perceived as insensitive. Organizers kicked Patel offstage in the middle of his set, criticizing his gags on race and sexual orientation but letting him deliver brief closing remarks before cutting off his microphone.

Patel was performing at cultureSHOCK, the group’s annual charity and display of Asian-related arts. The alliance was in charge of booking him. Patel did not respond to a request for comment.

The episode has prompted a campus debate about how to ensure an inclusive environment for students from all backgrounds and whether it was appropriate to kick Patel off the stage. Critics said it reinforces the stereotype of a liberal college kids -- derogatorily referred to as “snowflakes” -- who are unable to stomach mild jokes outside those that are “politically correct.”

Some professional comics, including Jerry Seinfeld and Chris Rock, previously have said they will no longer work college circuits because they consider students to be too thin-skinned for their brand of humor. Yet up-and-coming comedians can find success at lucrative campus gigs by tailoring their acts to college audiences, which tend to not enjoy jokes that target minorities.

The alliance, which directed a request for comment to a statement on its Facebook page, apologized for bringing Patel to campus….
When very young my parents took me to Mershon Auditorium on Ohio State University campus to watch a dull play. The highlights of the dull play was between acts when a student came on stage with bunch of grapes but only ate one grape with dignity and wearing a toga with a crown of laurel leaves. Riotous laughter from the audience. That student did not sit on his laurels.

Last edited:
Apr 2014
Heart of America

LOL. I remember the RWNJs who screamed about that "Devil Music". Agreed, people should be able to play it however they like.

Agreed on authoritarian leftists. However, this is still America and the organizers of an event should be allowed to boot whomever they like even if you and I completely disagree with their snowflakedness.

Agreed PC is censorship. The good news is that, while PC reigns on the closeted fantasy world of college campuses, once those snowflakes go out into the real world, the smart ones will adapt and learn while the snowflakes will return to the campus to become teachers. You know, like Melissa Click who was charged with assault: