Comedy on Campus Criticized As Too Insensitive

Apr 2014
Heart of America
LOL....if you don't like Rightwing dipshits invited to "entertain" students, then don't buy tickets? Funny, you seem to have a problem with the students expressing their opinion by boycotting the shows and getting those guys fired...
You think Nimesh Patel is a right wing dipshit? Have you ever seen any of his routines?

Nov 2018
Montana
LOL. I remember the RWNJs who screamed about that "Devil Music". Agreed, people should be able to play it however they like.

Agreed on authoritarian leftists. However, this is still America and the organizers of an event should be allowed to boot whomever they like even if you and I completely disagree with their snowflakedness.

Agreed PC is censorship. The good news is that, while PC reigns on the closeted fantasy world of college campuses, once those snowflakes go out into the real world, the smart ones will adapt and learn while the snowflakes will return to the campus to become teachers. You know, like Melissa Click who was charged with assault:

Of course you both agree. No one is defending threat or battery or riot. However, typically those who claim to support free speech do not support the expression and speech of those who are labelled "PC" (whatever that is). Furthermore, "free speech" is only speech free of government restraint. Speech throughout our society and many levels is subjected to all kinds of speech restrictions.

What I see happening, is that conservatives or those with derogatory speech wish to call upon government to act on their behalf and to enforce a particular message. THAT is tyranny. No one stopped Yianopoupolis from exercising free speech at Berkeley as he could present his message in any number of ways, just not precisely when and where HE wanted.
In the assorted campus protests against various speaker over the years, it has been the speakers or the colleges who have chosen not to proceed. Lawful protest does not stop speech and is a form of speech protected from government suppression.

Apr 2014
Heart of America
So..... where do we draw the line? When does it cease to be comedy and begin to be derogatory?
It appears that, at elitist Ivy League college campuses, the line is where a single person is offended. At a Neo-Nazi rally, only if someone attacks Trump or Richard Spencer. :)

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
I lean left on most issues. I'm a believer that people should use language to bring joy and thought and not try to purposely offend. I'm a big believer in freedom of speech so if you want to make a joke or if you want to protest someone making a joke (as long as you're not breaking the law), that's your right.

That all being said, these sissy fucking kids on college campuses and can't take a fucking joke make me sick. As a proud millennial who defends his generation until the cows come home, I can't stand that comedians are being prosecuted in the public for making a fucking joke. THAT'S THEIR JOB.

Lighten the fuck up

Nov 2018
Montana
I lean left on most issues. I'm a believer that people should use language to bring joy and thought and not try to purposely offend. I'm a big believer in freedom of speech so if you want to make a joke or if you want to protest someone making a joke (as long as you're not breaking the law), that's your right.

That all being said, these sissy fucking kids on college campuses and can't take a fucking joke make me sick. As a proud millennial who defends his generation until the cows come home, I can't stand that comedians are being prosecuted in the public for making a fucking joke. THAT'S THEIR JOB.

Lighten the fuck up
How do you define acceptable speech? Does that include racist and anti-Semitic? How about rape jokes?
The campus expression of disapproval is merely an effort at a different form of speech just a valid as that of certain comedians or speakers.

If you have any functioning memory of campus life, you will remember that students were so outrageous and "overly serious" to be concerned about absence of ethnic studies, racial discrimination, lack of women's studies, American propaganda about the Vietnam War, university investments in South Africa... etc.
I say that we should stop being overly judgmental of campus concerns and listen to the message... odds are, the students are correct.

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
How do you define acceptable speech? Does that include racist and anti-Semitic? How about rape jokes?
The campus expression of disapproval is merely an effort at a different form of speech just a valid as that of certain comedians or speakers.

If you have any functioning memory of campus life, you will remember that students were so outrageous and "overly serious" to be concerned about absence of ethnic studies, racial discrimination, lack of women's studies, American propaganda about the Vietnam War, university investments in South Africa... etc.
I say that we should stop being overly judgmental of campus concerns and listen to the message... odds are, the students are correct.
I'm 31... I have a very vivid memory of campus life.

I'll make this real simple. When it comes to comedy, as long as the comedian is trying to be funny, it's open season. If a comedian says something that's offensive and unfunny, that just means it's unfunny. Have at it. Be as raunchy and offensive as possible, but make sure you're funny otherwise you crash and burn.

I will never forget a bit by George Carlin (best stand-up of all time... come @ me). He said something to the effect of, "People say 'there are some things you just can't joke about' and I say 'bull shit'. They say 'you can't joke about rape. You can't make rape funny'. And I say 'oh yea? Can you imagine Bugs Bunny raping Elmer Fudd?'"

Nov 2018
Montana
I'm 31... I have a very vivid memory of campus life.

I'll make this real simple. When it comes to comedy, as long as the comedian is trying to be funny, it's open season. If a comedian says something that's offensive and unfunny, that just means it's unfunny. Have at it. Be as raunchy and offensive as possible, but make sure you're funny otherwise you crash and burn.

I will never forget a bit by George Carlin (best stand-up of all time... come @ me). He said something to the effect of, "People say 'there are some things you just can't joke about' and I say 'bull shit'. They say 'you can't joke about rape. You can't make rape funny'. And I say 'oh yea? Can you imagine Bugs Bunny raping Elmer Fudd?'"
31 is too young to understand from experience the protest issues of the 60's and 70's. Too bad. However, maybe there was some seemingly outrageous or trivial protest on your campus that later was seen as a significant social reform or presaged future changes.

It is much better for students or the audience to protest speech than to have the government get involved with regulating speech, and the current protests, while seemingly anti-humor, should be seen as significant indicators of problematic speech.
As I mentioned, at one point, many forms of humor were embraced and accepted but NOW are not. Social expectations change, usually in the US for the better. Let is ride...

Nov 2018
Montana
It appears that, at elitist Ivy League college campuses, the line is where a single person is offended. At a Neo-Nazi rally, only if someone attacks Trump or Richard Spencer. :)
It is always easier to criticize misrepresented reality than to deal with facts; actually, misrepresentation may be essential for the conserva-tarian fantasies to exist.

Nov 2018
Montana
In many ways, this comedy controversy reminds me of historical concerns about derogatory jokes or sexual innuendo in the workplace. Concerns about these messages were seen as just complaints because certain individuals "can't take a joke". Now, however, we understand the concept of a hostile work environment and the consequences economically to the advancement of women or minorities against a headwind of subtle and institutional discrimination that is sustained by something as simple as a joke...

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
Of course you both agree. No one is defending threat or battery or riot. However, typically those who claim to support free speech do not support the expression and speech of those who are labelled "PC" (whatever that is). Furthermore, "free speech" is only speech free of government restraint. Speech throughout our society and many levels is subjected to all kinds of speech restrictions.

What I see happening, is that conservatives or those with derogatory speech wish to call upon government to act on their behalf and to enforce a particular message. THAT is tyranny. No one stopped Yianopoupolis from exercising free speech at Berkeley as he could present his message in any number of ways, just not precisely when and where HE wanted.
In the assorted campus protests against various speaker over the years, it has been the speakers or the colleges who have chosen not to proceed. Lawful protest does not stop speech and is a form of speech protected from government suppression.

No. Free speech is a basic principle of an open and free society. I would say that it is a key and most important one. The 1st amendment deals w/ the federal government not infringing upon this but free speech is a core value and one of the building blocks of our society.