Common Libertarian Myths

Nov 2018
Rocky Mountains
Libertarian arguments commonly fall into certain categories:

1. "My wealth came only from my personal effort"
2. "Taxes represent an unjust taking by government"
3. "Private enterprise always is more efficient than government"

Regarding the inherent advantage of private enterprise:

......Even in the super-competitive telecoms sector, where customers have benefited from lower costs and increasing variety of services over the years, this result holds. A global survey found that ‘privatized sectors perform significantly worse’ than telecom companies remaining in state hands.2

Healthcare is where this myth is really given the lie. In the US, where healthcare spending is at its peak, with private spending on healthcare exceeding public spending, basic health outcomes are worse than in Cuba – which spends a fraction of the US amount per person in a totally public healthcare system (see table).

Myth 5 table

A 2012 report by the US Institute of Medicine was damning:

‘30 cents of every medical dollar goes to unnecessary healthcare, deceitful paperwork, fraud and other waste. The $750 billion in annual waste is more than the Pentagon budget and more than enough to care for every American who lacks health insurance… Most of the waste came from unnecessary services ($210 billion annually), excess administrative costs ($190 billion) and inefficient delivery of care ($130 billion).’2 ........

Feb 2020
Kalifornia
What a load of crap.

These statements are true.

Libertarians believe that every person has the inalienable (or natural, if you prefer) right to life, liberty and property.

If you take the fruits of my labor against my will, then you have stolen from me.

UPS, FedEx, OnTrac vs USPS. Only one of these companies consistently reports net losses in the BILLION$.

Not surprisingly, it is the only company that is government run/funded.

Last edited:
Reactions: FreeToChoose
Dec 2015
Arizona
What a load of crap.

Libertarians believe that every person has the inalienable (or natural, if you prefer) right to life, liberty and property.

If you take the fruits of my labor against my will, then you have stolen from me.

UPS, FedEx, OnTrac vs USPS. Only one of these companies consistently reports net losses in the BILLION$.

Thinking that taxation is theft means you either don’t fully comprehend what taxes are or you refuse to endorse the basis of what a first world country is. Taxes are fees--Fees paid and owed to the U.S. government for services rendered--for infrastructure, military assistance/protection, schools, parks, libraries, law enforcement, etc.
WE all pay a fee for living in this country.

Feb 2020
Kalifornia
Thinking that taxation is theft means you either don’t fully comprehend what taxes are or you refuse to endorse the basis of what a first world country is.<snip>
I understand taxation better than you think, Clara.

More importantly, I understand the difference between right and wrong.

When a government takes the fruits of my labor by coercion (income taxes) or seizes my property (eminent domain) it is WRONG, and unjust.

It matters not how my stolen money is redistributed.

“Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure." - Mark Skousen

Last edited:
Reactions: FreeToChoose
Mar 2020
Land of Freedom
I understand taxation better than you think, Clara.

More importantly, I understand the difference between right and wrong.

When a government takes the fruits of my labor by coercion (income taxes) or seizes my property (eminent domain) it is WRONG, and unjust.

It matters not how my stolen money is redistributed.

“Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure." - Mark Skousen
Did you hear what she said, Chief? "Owed to the U.S. government." LOL!

Yes, and it is important to note: Governments, just like Countries, Borders, Laws and other abstract concepts, do not actually exist. It sure seems like governments exist since they have the power to murder, steal from, or imprison their populations for whatever whims tickle their fancy. But in actual fact, they do not exist. Only people exist. People in fitted uniforms exist; Police, soldiers, politicians, prison guards, public school teachers, and welfare recipients exist. The people who work for and benefit from the system, are the system. Without people willing to murder, steal from, or imprison their fellow brothers and sisters in the name of government, there is no government. What government would we have if no one showed up on election day? Who would shake us down if no one paid up on tax day? Who would brainwash our children if no one sent them to public schools? Who would fight foreign wars if no one would be a soldier?

If people stopped working for the government, the government would cease to exist. If people stopped voting, if people stopped paying taxes, the government would cease to exist. Police, soldiers, politicians, all other government workers, and welfare recipients, are the beneficiaries of our stolen money. They are all upstanding parasite citizens employed by a parasite system to parasite off everyone else. They are all anti-entrepreneurs actively working against the free-market. They are people who, through their actions, agree with, enable and enforce violence and coercion against their fellow man. They grant themselves the legal right to counterfeit their own currency and imprison anyone else who tries. Their paychecks come from the taxes we are all forced to pay them. Their means of subsistence is counterfeit and theft. And these thieves have the power to put us in prison if we don’t willingly hand over our hard-earned money, whenever, and however much they ask for. Govern-Mental literally translates to Mind-Control – it’s time people realize they have been brainwashed by their Mafia Governments, stand up and say to all government employees a big -

“No Thanks For Your Service!“

Reactions: SkyChief
Feb 2020
Kalifornia
Did you hear what she said, Chief? "Owed to the U.S. government." LOL!, <snip>
I giggled when I read that.

But I don't giggle when I write a check to the IRS "THE AMOUNT YOU OWE" line on my tax return.

I weep when I write that check. :crying:

"There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him." - Robert A. Heinlein

Feb 2020
Houston
Libertarian arguments commonly fall into certain categories:

You did not rebut the first statement, but included it as a myth.

You have a point, when people say that the "only" is an overstatement.

Our goal should be to find a balance between "if you have a business, you didn't build that," and "I did it all by myself!"

As libertarians, we believe government should only be providing a level playing field, not being referee while favoring certain teams over others.

But yes. Under our current system, we cannot claim to have won on our own because government provided the playing field however fairly or unfairly it ran the games.

We can say that we are sure that we would do much better of government just let us play on unimproved ground, but we can't prove it because government has its hand in everything.

Reactions: SkyChief
Sep 2019
Louisville, Ky
What a load of crap.

Every American believes in life and liberty and is opposed to theft. The companies you list are ALL dependent on the roads and air traffic control provided by Government and the USPS is not a Government entity, though it does lose money because of Government requirement from when it was.

Reactions: Clara007 and Biff
Feb 2020
Kalifornia
Isn't it funny that so many Americans ignore the fact that the American Revolution was a result of EXCESSIVE TAXATION and Trade REGULATIONS levied by King George III. Finally, the colonists had it up to their eyeballs and said ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

They defiantly threw crates of tea into Boston Harbor. They tarred and feathered the King's Tax Collectors waiting on the docks. These men hated taxes more ME! :lol:

God bless em! They created the greatest country in the world (at that time). But in 1913, the progressives seized power (Woodrow Wilson), created the Income Tax, the Federal Reserve, and everything went to shit.

Now look at the mess we're in. :angry:

We need strong libertarian leaders to steer this country back on course towards liberty and freedom.

Nov 2018
Rocky Mountains
You did not rebut the first statement, but included it as a myth.

You have a point, when people say that the "only" is an overstatement.

Our goal should be to find a balance between "if you have a business, you didn't build that," and "I did it all by myself!"

As libertarians, we believe government should only be providing a level playing field, not being referee while favoring certain teams over others.

But yes. Under our current system, we cannot claim to have won on our own because government provided the playing field however fairly or unfairly it ran the games.

We can say that we are sure that we would do much better of government just let us play on unimproved ground, but we can't prove it because government has its hand in everything.
I think the claim is commonly made that essentially "I made it only through my own effort and it is all mine" indicating the essence of myth number 1

Reactions: Clara007