Common Libertarian Myths

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
Isn't it funny that so many Americans ignore the fact that the American Revolution was a result of EXCESSIVE TAXATION and Trade REGULATIONS levied by King George III. Finally, the colonists had it up to their eyeballs and said ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

They defiantly threw crates of tea into Boston Harbor. They tarred and feathered the King's Tax Collectors waiting on the docks. These men hated taxes more ME! :lol:

God bless em! They created the greatest country in the world (at that time). But in 1913, the progressives seized power (Woodrow Wilson), created the Income Tax, the Federal Reserve, and everything went to shit.

Now look at the mess we're in. :angry:

We need strong libertarian leaders to steer this country back on course towards liberty and freedom.
The battle cry wasn't "I hate taxes". It was against "taxation without representation". You have representation. The representatives you have chose n over the years disagree with you bigly.

Reactions: Clara007

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
I was hoping someone would say this.

This is what frustrated people say when they come to the realization that they've run out of valid arguments to an opposing position.

Thanks! :yes:

LOL. you just made my point.

This is precisely why libertarians object to taxation. We don't want government to redistribute our wealth to projects or programs we object to. We want a limited government to NOT take our wealth by coercion.

PS: A blind guy in Oregon doesn't benefit from a new interstate highway between Ohio and Kentucky. But he paid for part of it.
No, it's the result of butting your head against blind adherence to an ideology, especially a false ideology.

And if you want to see government employment and therefore government overhead surge, get people in to divvy up taxes based on usage. You'd have to increase the IRS budget by multiple billions.

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
Many libertarians ARE anti-tax, across the board. But not all of us.

I'm fine with INDIRECT taxes because they can be avoided. INDIRECT taxes include tariffs, Sales Tax and Excise (Usage) Tax

If you don't want to pay the Gasoline Tax, you have the freedom to drive a Tesla.

If you don't want to pay the Liquor Tax, become a teetotaler.

It is DIRECT TAXES that I object to. DIRECT TAXES are Income Tax and Property Tax. If I'm productive, and own property, there's no way for me to escape paying these taxes.

Very few libertarians object to ALL forms of taxation.
But your indirectly taxed Tesla wouldn't drive on roads?

Mar 2020
Land of Freedom
@SkyChief, It is a silly set up thread. The point of this thread is to bait you then bash you. If you keep replying then soon it will turn into a Trump rant. Don't teach those who don't really want to learn. Let them pay your taxes as you are doing now.

Reactions: SkyChief
Jul 2019
Georgia
I understand taxation better than you think, Clara.

More importantly, I understand the difference between right and wrong.

When a government takes the fruits of my labor by coercion (income taxes) or seizes my property (eminent domain) it is WRONG, and unjust.

It matters not how my stolen money is redistributed.

“Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure." - Mark Skousen
has the government ever seized your property via eminent domain?

it's pretty rare, that's why I ask

GADOT land acquisition agents use it as a last resort only, usually they offer way above market value for a few square feet of right-of-way easement

I held out a little for a small bridge widening project, because I was told I could, and they made it happen captain, and I was a happy camper.

do you not use roads or any services provided by income taxes? are you completely self-sufficient, and never travel?

Jul 2019
Georgia
I giggled when I read that.

But I don't giggle when I write a check to the IRS "THE AMOUNT YOU OWE" line on my tax return.

I weep when I write that check. :crying:

"There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him." - Robert A. Heinlein
you should increase withholdings or pay quarterly estimated to avoid having to write that sad check

also, you technically should be writing it to the United States Treasury, not IRS, but I've learned they'll cash it no matter what it says

Jul 2019
Georgia
Sure.

We simply disagree on everything. NOT every american believes in life and liberty.

If someone believes the government should have the power and authority to execute another person, then they don't really believe in the right to life.

If someone believes the government should have the power and authority to confiscate the wealth or real estate from another person (income tax, civil asset seizure, eminent domain), then they don't really believe in the right to property.

All libertarians understand that all of these government powers are WRONG and UNJUST. (Most) Tax-N-Redistribute democrats don't get it.

Yes, the courier companies use use public roads and FAA ATC. That's not by choice. Those companies would be just as profitable, or even MORE profitable if the roads were private toll roads, and the airports were private sector controlled.

I don't have any idea how much UPS, FedEx, or DHL pay in Taxes, but I'll bet its a boatload. Government needs to stick to its essential functions, and stop redistribution of wealth.

Imagine how frustrated a blind person (who will never be allowed to drive a car) is to pay federal taxes for a new interstate highway.

"For centuries the State has robbed people at bayonet point and called it “taxation.” In fact, if you wish to know how libertarians regard the State and any of its acts, simply think of the State as a criminal band, and all of the libertarian attitudes will logically fall into place." - Murray N. Rothbard
a lot of Federal funding for US Highways and Interstates comes from the fuel tax, but even if that weren't the case, are you saying blind people have never been on a US Highway or interstate, even as a passenger?

Jul 2019
Georgia
I was hoping someone would say this.

This is what frustrated people say when they come to the realization that they've run out of valid arguments to an opposing position.

Thanks! :yes:

LOL. you just made my point.

This is precisely why libertarians object to taxation. We don't want government to redistribute our wealth to projects or programs we object to. We want a limited government to NOT take our wealth by coercion.

PS: A blind guy in Oregon doesn't benefit from a new interstate highway between Ohio and Kentucky. But he paid for part of it.
I don't directly benefit from an new interstate highway between Ohio and Kentucky either

regardless, are blind people prohibited from any travel? did not realize that

Jul 2019
Georgia
Many libertarians ARE anti-tax, across the board. But not all of us.

I'm fine with INDIRECT taxes because they can be avoided. INDIRECT taxes include tariffs, Sales Tax and Excise (Usage) Tax

If you don't want to pay the Gasoline Tax, you have the freedom to drive a Tesla.

If you don't want to pay the Liquor Tax, become a teetotaler.

It is DIRECT TAXES that I object to. DIRECT TAXES are Income Tax and Property Tax. If I'm productive, and own property, there's no way for me to escape paying these taxes.

Very few libertarians object to ALL forms of taxation.
you still pay tax on your tesla
it's got to have a tag to travel on those public roads, after all