Contradictory atheist arguments

Oct 2019
USA
1. "All children are atheists until they are indoctrinated into religion".

2. "Religion is a holdover from childhood - like believing in Santa Claus, until they grow out of it".

So which one is true? They can't both be right. Are they "born atheists" until they become religious, or "born theist" until they become atheist?

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North

2. "Religion is a holdover from childhood - like believing in Santa Claus, until they grow out of it".

So which one is true? They can't both be right. Are they "born atheists" until they become religious, or "born theist" until they become atheist?
Again no logic to your position. Children are taught to believe in Santa Claus. It isn't some spontaneous revelation.

Aug 2019
Albuquerque, NM

There is no contradiction there. Children are athiest when they are born.Then they can get indoctrinated by their parents or community. What's contradictory about that? There are different levels of "children".

And both are completely factual. This post is really disingenuous

Oct 2019
USA
There is no contradiction there. Children are athiest when they are born.Then they can get indoctrinated by their parents or community. What's contradictory about that? There are different levels of "children".

And both are completely factual. This post is really disingenuous
Nope:

For that matter, one could assert children "aren't born" believing in scientific theories until they're indoctrinated into, right? Is that a "bad thing"?

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
Nope:

For that matter, one could assert children "aren't born" believing in scientific theories until they're indoctrinated into, right? Is that a "bad thing"?
No one is indoctrinated into science. You see the world around you and see how mathematical descriptions and scientific principles explain the whys and wherefores of all that. Not indoctrination, the need to believe what you can't see, but an explanation of what you can see around you.

That is a totally false parallel you are trying to create.

As to your source, a totally specious argument is being presented. Atheism is a defaut. It is no belief. That's what babies have until an influencer, usually a parent indoctrinates them.

You like so many others want to believe that atheists say there is no god. That is not true. Atheists say there is insufficient reason to believe there is a god.

Dec 2018
New England
Is God so all powerful that he can make a rock so big that he can't even lift it?

Aug 2019
Albuquerque, NM
No one is indoctrinated into science. You see the world around you and see how mathematical descriptions and scientific principles explain the whys and wherefores of all that. Not indoctrination, the need to believe what you can't see, but an explanation of what you can see around you.

That is a totally false parallel you are trying to create.

As to your source, a totally specious argument is being presented. Atheism is a defaut. It is no belief. That's what babies have until an influencer, usually a parent indoctrinates them.

You like so many others want to believe that atheists say there is no god. That is not true. Atheists say there is insufficient reason to believe there is a god.

I think Athiests make a definitive position. Which is why I call myself agnostic. In simple forms, I don't know. BUt lean athiest becauset here is no reason to believe there is a god. But I do know I don't know everything

I actually think agnosticism is the only really honest religion. Although athiesm has a much higher footing than any religion.

REligious people want to pretend that the default setting is "there must be a god" and that is not the case

Dec 2018
USA

Not contradictory at all. There is a difference between an infant and a child. It's like you are just blithley ignoring the role of parents etc. In the childhood indoctrination process.

I don't really care if one defines infants as atheists or if one restricts the label of atheist to people who have at least considered one or more god ideas and found them unconvincing. They're just definitions and one can assert either one.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk