Coronavirus Event Shows Important Flaw in Democracy/Representative Republic

Feb 2020
Houston
So, we have a system in which we get to vote so that our will is carried out. But due to the twoparty system that was a natural result of our winner take all executive branch election protocol, the will of the people is the last thing that is being carried out right now.

Case in point, if you were to have a vote in which the voters were given two choices of how our leaders should handle the coronavirus outbreak, which of these do you think voters would select:

a) Our leaders will work together with a single goal of ending the outbreak as quickly as possible. They will look for ways to quickly form consenses and compromise quickly on any issues that they disagree on. They will delay any fault-finding, blame placing and finger-pointing until well after the outbreak is ended and even then, they will look to the future to how we can do it better in the future rather than scoring political points.

or

b) Our leaders will pounce on this event like linebackers going after a fumble. Each side will focus the majority of their efforts toward making the other side look bad with an eye to the upcoming election. Every proposal they put forward to deal with this issue will consist of measures they have unsuccessfully tried to pass in the past, but this time they will accuse opponents of the measures of not caring about coronavirus.

I hope you would agree that a) is what the overwhelming majority of voters would want. Yet, we are getting b) exactly.

Instead of mature leaders working together, we get the Trump-Pelosi septuagenarian grudge match.

We cheer them on (but just our side) instead of telling them to grow up.

Not in spite of our system, but because of it. In the age of gotcha, no leader can run on "I am a good person with a good record" because any past mistakes and misdeeds are sure to come to the surface and be endlessly rehashed. So it turns in to a contest of "their worse than me," rather than, "I am better than them."

This is not a case of "we get what we deserve." This is a severely flawed system constantly forcing us to choose the lesser of two evils.

Feb 2020
dfw, texas
So, we have a system in which we get to vote so that our will is carried out. But due to the twoparty system that was a natural result of our winner take all executive branch election protocol, the will of the people is the last thing that is being carried out right now.

Case in point, if you were to have a vote in which the voters were given two choices of how our leaders should handle the coronavirus outbreak, which of these do you think voters would select:

a) Our leaders will work together with a single goal of ending the outbreak as quickly as possible. They will look for ways to quickly form consenses and compromise quickly on any issues that they disagree on. They will delay any fault-finding, blame placing and finger-pointing until well after the outbreak is ended and even then, they will look to the future to how we can do it better in the future rather than scoring political points.

or

b) Our leaders will pounce on this event like linebackers going after a fumble. Each side will focus the majority of their efforts toward making the other side look bad with an eye to the upcoming election. Every proposal they put forward to deal with this issue will consist of measures they have unsuccessfully tried to pass in the past, but this time they will accuse opponents of the measures of not caring about coronavirus.

I hope you would agree that a) is what the overwhelming majority of voters would want. Yet, we are getting b) exactly.

Instead of mature leaders working together, we get the Trump-Pelosi septuagenarian grudge match.

We cheer them on (but just our side) instead of telling them to grow up.

Not in spite of our system, but because of it. In the age of gotcha, no leader can run on "I am a good person with a good record" because any past mistakes and misdeeds are sure to come to the surface and be endlessly rehashed. So it turns in to a contest of "their worse than me," rather than, "I am better than them."

This is not a case of "we get what we deserve." This is a severely flawed system constantly forcing us to choose the lesser of two evils.
trump calls telling the truth about this new virus as a democratic hoax. the democrats have told the truth about it and have called for real action, and tried to get trump to not trivialize it and lie about it, and yet, to a partisan clown, both parties are exactly the same?

no wonder you are a trump voter!!

Reactions: se7en
Feb 2020
Houston
trump calls telling the truth about this new virus as a democratic hoax. the democrats have told the truth about it and have called for real action, and tried to get trump to not trivialize it and lie about it, and yet, to a partisan clown, both parties are exactly the same?

no wonder you are a trump voter!!
Your attitude is literally costing lives, right now, Thor.

Congrats.

Aug 2019
Albuquerque, NM
Oh, pretend its both sides nonsense. No, it shows that republicans and right wingers are scumbags that can't work with others and take responsibility. It shows what happens when you elect an incompetent idiot. It happened with Bush and the disaster of the Iraq wars and trillions down the drain while the rich got tax breaks, and we are seeing it on steroids with that complete scumbag Trump and the corrupt republicans protecting him.

This is just proving what assholes right wingers are, and every fear democrats said about Trump is coming to fruition. He's botched the response, he gutted the agencies needed to deal with this, he continue to lie and make it about him, and the response is a clusterfuck that in a few weeks probably will be completely disastrous

But yet, play the both sides. Damn, you right wingers are so predictable in your patheticness

Feb 2020
Houston
Oh, pretend its both sides nonsense. No, it shows that republicans and right wingers are scumbags that can't work with others and take responsibility. It shows what happens when you elect an incompetent idiot. It happened with Bush and the disaster of the Iraq wars
IKR?

Thank Gawd we elected Barrack Obama and he ended the Iraq war and shut down GITMO.