Counting Health Care - American Workers are among the most taxed in the world

Jul 2014
massachusetts
Count health care premiums as taxes, and the American tax system becomes regressive and the American Middle Class becomes one of the most heavily taxed in the world.

Switch to a tax based system of universal health care, and Individuals making less than 134000, families making less than 276000 are better off.

For instance, according to this analysis, American families that earn around $43,000, half of the average wage, pay 37 percent of their wages to taxes and health care premiums. In high-tax Finland, the same type of family pays 23 percent of their compensation in labor taxes, which includes taxes they pay to support universal health care. In France, it’s 2 percent. In the United Kingdom and Canada, it is less than 0 percent after government benefits.
Opinion | Universal Health Care Might Cost You Less Than You Think

May 2018
USA
Good luck explaining that to the rightwing dipshits. I've argued at length with many Republicans that universal healthcare would actually BE CHEAPER than what we have now and that it would be awesome for not just the citizens but for corporations groaning under "Cadillac" healthcare system costs for retirees. What gets me is the corporations, who would benefit tremendously from universal coverage, uniformly oppose it. So stupid and shortsighted.

Mar 2019
Texas
Except insurance is not tax.

The health care system is just a means of control and if you are opted in and do not play by their rules then they take you out.

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
Counting grass clippings as gold people in the suburbs and the country are some of thw wealthiest people in the world.

Whowouldathunk?

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
Wow!

If we count snow piles as oil we would have had an awesome winter here.

Thanks global warming.

Mar 2019
Texas
Good luck explaining that to the rightwing dipshits. I've argued at length with many Republicans that universal healthcare would actually BE CHEAPER than what we have now and that it would be awesome for not just the citizens but for corporations groaning under "Cadillac" healthcare system costs for retirees. What gets me is the corporations, who would benefit tremendously from universal coverage, uniformly oppose it. So stupid and shortsighted.
Way to win them over!

That is so constructive.

Jul 2014
massachusetts
The fact is when people compare tax rates, they neglect that those higher tax rates include health care, college tuition and a higher level of social services.

Medicare for all, paid for by a higher income tax, would be a net benefit for most people.

Reactions: leekohler2
Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
The fact is when people compare tax rates, they neglect that those higher tax rates include health care, college tuition and a higher level of social services.

Medicare for all, paid for by a higher income tax, would be a net benefit for most people.

What 'higher tax rates' are you going on about?