Court upholds Trump travel ban, rejects discrimination claim

Jun 2018
West
ASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court on Tuesday upheld President Donald Trump’s ban on travel from several mostly Muslim countries, rejecting a challenge that it discriminated against Muslims or exceeded his authority.

The 5-4 decision Tuesday is the court’s first substantive ruling on a Trump administration policy, and the president quickly tweeted his reaction: “Wow!”

Chief Justice John Roberts wrote the majority opinion, joined by his four conservative colleagues.

Roberts wrote that presidents have substantial power to regulate immigration. He also rejected the challengers’ claim of anti-Muslim bias.

But he was careful not to endorse either Trump’s provocative statements about immigration in general and Muslims in particular.

“We express no view on the soundness of the policy,” Roberts wrote.

The travel ban has been fully in place since the court declined to block it in December. The justices allowed the policy to take full effect even as the court fight continued and lower courts had ruled it out of bounds.

https://apnews.com/3a20abe305bd4c989116f82bf535393b/Court-upholds-Trump-travel-ban,-rejects-discrimination-claim

Interesting ruling.

Reactions: 1 person
May 2018
none
Wow, really a sad day for this country. Wonder who will be next to be banned? Canada? The EU?

Will American citizens next be banned from traveling to certain countries as well?

Last edited:
Nov 2012
nirvana
ASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court on Tuesday upheld President Donald Trump’s ban on travel from several mostly Muslim countries, rejecting a challenge that it discriminated against Muslims or exceeded his authority.

The 5-4 decision Tuesday is the court’s first substantive ruling on a Trump administration policy, and the president quickly tweeted his reaction: “Wow!”

Chief Justice John Roberts wrote the majority opinion, joined by his four conservative colleagues.

Roberts wrote that presidents have substantial power to regulate immigration. He also rejected the challengers’ claim of anti-Muslim bias.

But he was careful not to endorse either Trump’s provocative statements about immigration in general and Muslims in particular.

The travel ban has been fully in place since the court declined to block it in December. The justices allowed the policy to take full effect even as the court fight continued and lower courts had ruled it out of bounds.

https://apnews.com/3a20abe305bd4c989116f82bf535393b/Court-upholds-Trump-travel-ban,-rejects-discrimination-claim

Interesting ruling.
Yes and as I just stated on another thread we will be revisiting this again when a democrat is in office in the near future. I’m sure you will be supporting that presidents broad authority on the decisions made regarding immigration right?

May 2018
none
Yes and as I just stated on another thread we will be revisiting this again when a democrat is in office in the near future. I’m sure you will be supporting that presidents broad authority on the decisions made regarding immigration right?
At some point, this has to stop being about partisan BS and more about following the constitution, which is not happening right now.

Sep 2015
Brown Township, Ohio

Interesting ruling.
The decision will send the snowflakes into a collective spastic fit. Yea! A win for the Constitution.

Nov 2012
nirvana
At some point, this has to stop being about partisan BS and more about following the constitution, which is not happening right now.
That was my point. Remember, conservatives brought suits against Obama on immigration policy. They won't be bringing anymore suits against the next Democratic President.

Conservatives will never be able to get what they consider an absolute victory for their twisted ideology precisely because of the Constitution. All decisions by the court are a double edge sword. What they bring suit to prohibit or allow, also prohibits them or allows things they don't like with the same decisions. If you listen to them, it is quite confusing.

They thought the Heller decision was a victory for the gun nutters until they found out the same decision gives the states broad powers to prohibit them from owning certain types of guns, or carrying them in public.

RNG

Forum Staff
Apr 2013
La La Land North
That was my point. Remember, conservatives brought suits against Obama on immigration policy. They won't be bringing anymore suits against the next Democratic President.

Conservatives will never be able to get what they consider an absolute victory for their twisted ideology precisely because of the Constitution. All decisions by the court are a double edge sword. What they bring suit to prohibit or allow, also prohibits them or allows things they don't like with the same decisions. If you listen to them, it is quite confusing.

They thought the Heller decision was a victory for the gun nutters until they found out the same decision gives the states broad powers to prohibit them from owning certain types of guns, or carrying them in public.
My reading is that basically they said nothing about the regs itself, they just ruled that the decision was within his power to decree.

Therefore the next president will be free to write a new EO reversing this and doing whatever the fuck he wants. And the SC has now said it's AOK.

Nov 2012
nirvana
My reading is that basically they said nothing about the regs itself, they just ruled that the decision was within his power to decree.

Therefore the next president will be free to write a new EO reversing this and doing whatever the fuck he wants. And the SC has now said it's AOK.
Exactly. The majority opinion states the President has "Broad Powers" to set immigration policy. Wait until the next Democrat uses those broad powers.

As I have been saying since the Republican Obstruction began in 2010. Whole new precedents have been set by the Republicans. The day is going to come that the Democrats will once again control the Senate, and no SCOTUS appointments will be allowed except by the President of their choice.

That's now written in blood policy in this country now RNG, and the conjobs are not going to like it when it happens to them. But they set the precedent, and will now live by it for evermore.

There is also now discussion of making both Puerto Rico, and DC states appointing four more Senators which will surely be Democrats, and adding two more Justices to the court. A very real possibility in the not so distant future, which would in effect anull every conservative gain of the last 40 years. Imagine the howling you will hear when that happens. As I told one of my sons, if you think an entire new generation is going to live their whole lives with the machinations of Trump, McConnell, and Ryan, that ain't going to happen. Their pipe dream of what currently is the abomination of their making will remain so for decades is a delusion.

The unprecedented way in which the Republicans, and their supporters have behaved since the election of Obama has completely changed the rules of the game. Their grip on power is tenuous at best, and the clock is running out on their very lives in order to keep that power.

Jun 2018
La Pine, Oregon
Exactly. The majority opinion states the President has "Broad Powers" to set immigration policy. Wait until the next Democrat uses those broad powers.

As I have been saying since the Republican Obstruction began in 2010. Whole new precedents have been set by the Republicans. The day is going to come that the Democrats will once again control the Senate, and no SCOTUS appointments will be allowed except by the President of their choice.

That's now written in blood policy in this country now RNG, and the conjobs are not going to like it when it happens to them. But they set the precedent, and will now live by it for evermore.

There is also now discussion of making both Puerto Rico, and DC states appointing four more Senators which will surely be Democrats, and adding two more Justices to the court. A very real possibility in the not so distant future, which would in effect anull every conservative gain of the last 40 years. Imagine the howling you will hear when that happens. As I told one of my sons, if you think an entire new generation is going to live their whole lives with the machinations of Trump, McConnell, and Ryan, that ain't going to happen. Their pipe dream of what currently is the abomination of their making will remain so for decades is a delusion.

The unprecedented way in which the Republicans, and their supporters have behaved since the election of Obama has completely changed the rules of the game. Their grip on power is tenuous at best, and the clock is running out on their very lives in order to keep that power.
Unless Trump is given by his poodles what he really wants, and that is the Imperial Presidency like what was given to his idols in Russia, China, Turkey, etc.