Covington Catholic Closing Due To Threats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 2013
33,590
19,294
Beware of watermelons
#1
On Tuesday — the first day students returned following the release Saturday of a viral video that most mainstream media outlets portrayed as showing the teens "harassing" and "mocking" an adult Native American protester after supposedly hurling racial epithets at minorities — school officials determined it was necessary to cancel school due to the flood of threats against the students, their families, and the school prompted by the early reports.

"Covington Catholic High School is closed Tuesday over security concerns, according to school officials," USA Today reported Tuesday morning.

"After meeting with local authorities, we have made the decision to cancel school and be closed on Tuesday, January 22, in order to ensure the safety of our students, faculty and staff," Covington Catholic Principal Robert Lowe said in a letter to parents obtained by WXIX-TV. "All activities on campus will be cancelled for the entire day and evening. Students, parents, faculty and staff are not to be on campus for any reason. Please continue to keep the Covington Catholic Community in your prayers."

In its explanation for school officials' decision, USA Today reports that "Tuesday would have marked the first school day since a video prompted public outrage and accusations that students mocked a Native American activist."

Rather than providing details that make clear that the initial flood of reports by media outlets were proven false by video footage showing what proceeded the "face-off" with Native American protester Nathan Phillips, which included the students being harassed by racial activists, USA Today opted simply for this cowardly, ambiguous statement:

Over the weekend, competing narratives unfolded, hours of cell phone footage from different sources was released showing a fuller picture.​
USA Today does note that the student at the center of the controversy, junior Nick Sandmann, issued a statement "firmly stating he wasn’t mocking anyone," but fails to take the opportunity to note that the video evidence backs him up or to provide any quotes from his statement.

USA Today also notes that "President Donald Trump took to Twitter defending the teen," but chooses not to actually include the tweets from Trump in which he calls out the media for the shamefully one-side reporting and cites the footage that disproves the original reports.


The outlet does at least acknowlege that "[t]hreats have poured in against students and the school itself with some going so far as to wish a school shooting upon Cov Cath, as it is called locally."

Below is some of the key information that USA Today chose to leave out, opting instead for its vague "competing narratives" comment, staring with Trump's tweets.



www.dailywire.com/news/42484/look-cowardly-report-usa-today-covington-catholic-james-barrett



Gotta love it.



So sad
 
Jun 2018
5,340
1,245
South Dakota
#9
He should tell them to grow the fuck up not use them in one of his great "divide" productions.
They showed great restraint in the face of strong intimidation from the Phony "Israelites" and that loony drum banger in his face. He should give them a medal and declare them role models in how to conduct themselves when confronted by these crazies.
A point, where were the Capitol police? Every time I've been to the Lincoln Memorial there's been a herd of them.
 
Likes: Jimgorn
Jul 2018
4,087
1,849
Trump World! Where the circus is always in town.
#10
They showed great restraint in the face of strong intimidation from the Phony "Israelites" and that loony drum banger in his face. He should give them a medal and declare them role models in how to conduct themselves when confronted by these crazies.
A point, where were the Capitol police? Every time I've been to the Lincoln Memorial there's been a herd of them.
enough said

 
Status
Not open for further replies.