Crackdown on Illegals Continues

Dec 2012
California
Because of Trump's crackdown on illegal aliens, illegal aliens in L.A. are complaining that landlords are now gouging them for more rent-money. Yes, illegal aliens are now complaining of being victims of their own unlawfulness?

Reactions: 2 people
Dec 2015
Arizona
I'm going to have to disagree with you here. First "migrant workers" are NOT illegal !!! They are allowed in the country specifically for the purpose of working the harvests and the farmers are NOT required to pay them min wage. And since you mention the conglomerate farms, GUESS WHO MAKES THE MOST USE of those migrant workers ??

Three or four years ago one study showed that paying minimum wage or higher to citizens would only raise the cost of a head of lettuce (99 cents last week at my local grocery) about 5 cent a head. Other fruits and veggies were about the same. I'd gladly pay a few more cents knowing those items were harvested by citizen making at least min wage rather than some poor migrant who gets paid in such a manner it works out to substantially less than min wage.

When I was a kid I work in a peach orchard. We got minimum wage and were happy for the work.

I'm sure you realize that a portion of my post was exaggerated and willfully facetious. AND you know as well as I do that not all agricultural workers are registered migrants.
This isn't JUST about agriculture. I do not think the general population understands the enormous impact migrants and undocumented workers have on our economy. I think this is one more example of how short-sighted the GOP continues to be and how their supporters continue to 'parrot' their talking points about illegals.
Have they truly considered what happens AFTER all/most of the undocumented are gone?? Doubtful.
Imagine a day without a Mexican. All gone. I can hear the GOPers cheering. No gardners, cooks, nannys, farm workers, roofers, cleaning crews, assistants to construction crews, painters, dish washers, maintenance staff.......endless list.
Now imagine our economy. No more sales tax from gas, groceries, shoes, clothing, TV sets, computers, tools, equipment, building supplies, etc. No more property tax. No more payroll tax. No more paid into Social Security.
Does anyone out there understand the implications of this?? Probably not...and I seriously doubt that U.S. citizens will be clamoring/begging for the jobs left behind or the chance to make up the financial difference.

Reactions: 1 person
Sep 2015
Brown Township, Ohio
I'm sure you realize that a portion of my post was exaggerated and willfully facetious. AND you know as well as I do that not all agricultural workers are registered migrants.
This isn't JUST about agriculture. I do not think the general population understands the enormous impact migrants and undocumented workers have on our economy. I think this is one more example of how short-sighted the GOP continues to be and how their supporters continue to 'parrot' their talking points about illegals.
Have they truly considered what happens AFTER all/most of the undocumented are gone?? Doubtful.
Imagine a day without a Mexican. All gone. I can hear the GOPers cheering. No gardners, cooks, nannys, farm workers, roofers, cleaning crews, assistants to construction crews, painters, dish washers, maintenance staff.......endless list.
Now imagine our economy. No more sales tax from gas, groceries, shoes, clothing, TV sets, computers, tools, equipment, building supplies, etc. No more property tax. No more payroll tax. No more paid into Social Security.
Does anyone out there understand the implications of this?? Probably not...and I seriously doubt that U.S. citizens will be clamoring/begging for the jobs left behind or the chance to make up the financial difference.
No more property tax. Are you suggesting that illegal aliens are property owners? I will vote for no more property tax in a heart beat and so will all other legal property owners. To hell with infrastructure and be self-sufficient.

Dec 2015
Arizona
No more property tax. Are you suggesting that illegal aliens are property owners? I will vote for no more property tax in a heart beat and so will all other legal property owners. To hell with infrastructure and be self-sufficient.

Undocumented immigrants must LIVE somewhere: apartment, house, condo, trailer, house boat, whatever. Whether they own or rent, they are essentially paying property tax and remember not all illegals are poor Mexicans. We have many who have just overstayed their visas. They may be doctoral students or professors--they may be visiting scientists--medical staff. They may be Melania Trump. WHO KNOWS?
The point being, they aren't all poor. They/WE all pay property tax.

Mar 2013
Middle Tennessee
Well once again I'm going to have to disagree. Yes many do the jobs that Americans won't, but not for the reason most people think. It's NOT that Americans won't do those jobs, we've done them in the past. Its just that we won't do them for what amounts to slave wages. While many do participate in the economy they are also a disproportionate drain on government resources. An illegal isn't eligible for any sort of government support, but their born here children are !! And since many either work off the books or use fake SS numbers there's no way to prove they're committing fraud.

Also, there are not 12 million gardeners and nannies out there. These people work for companies, corporations, small, medium and large. They are a major contributing factor to the wage stagnation we've seen over the past 2 decades. They are a large part of the labor glut in this country. Their very presence here keeps companies from having to raise wages. It's not just the bottom end job either. This ripples all the way up into the middle class. Even companies that don't hire illegals benefit from them being here. Because they displace one level of workers those people either have to compete for jobs the next rung up the ladder, or seek government assistance. When there are multiple people seeking every job companies simply don't have to pay. Illegals distort the natural supply and demand of jobs in the economy. Those citizen displaced by the illegals often have little recourse but to get on welfare and food stamps. So even if an illegal hasn't obtained government assistance chances are good they are forcing someone else to do so.

Yes there would be an adjustment period as companies sought to replace the illegals in their work forces, but we would adjust. Wages would return to the normal supply and demand cycle and with more jobs available many people would be able to get off social programs. So on one hand wages would rise, increasing tax revenues, at the same time jobs held by illegals who aren't paying taxes, and whose employers aren't paying taxes, would be converted to legal jobs and both employer and employee would now be paying their taxes, so again revenues would rise. On the inverse the needs for social programs would be decreased saving revenue for other needs.

E-Verify should be the law of the land. Any company caught with illegal workers should be shut down for 60 to 90 days, even if those workers are being used by a subcontractor. (This is how corporate America, including Trump get's around the law. They just blame it on the subcontractor).

We also need a very simple change in the wording of our immigration law. There is already an exception when a diplomat has a child while stationed here. All we need to do is add language stating that if you aren't here legally AND with the intent of immigrating, then your child is NOT a citizen.

I have no issue with immigration. We are ALL immigrants here. But the illegals are distorting the economy and creating a massive drain on government resources.

Reactions: 2 people
Feb 2014
nunya
Well once again I'm going to have to disagree. Yes many do the jobs that Americans won't, but not for the reason most people think. It's NOT that Americans won't do those jobs, we've done them in the past. Its just that we won't do them for what amounts to slave wages. While many do participate in the economy they are also a disproportionate drain on government resources. An illegal isn't eligible for any sort of government support, but their born here children are !! And since many either work off the books or use fake SS numbers there's no way to prove they're committing fraud.

Also, there are not 12 million gardeners and nannies out there. These people work for companies, corporations, small, medium and large. They are a major contributing factor to the wage stagnation we've seen over the past 2 decades. They are a large part of the labor glut in this country. Their very presence here keeps companies from having to raise wages. It's not just the bottom end job either. This ripples all the way up into the middle class. Even companies that don't hire illegals benefit from them being here. Because they displace one level of workers those people either have to compete for jobs the next rung up the ladder, or seek government assistance. When there are multiple people seeking every job companies simply don't have to pay. Illegals distort the natural supply and demand of jobs in the economy. Those citizen displaced by the illegals often have little recourse but to get on welfare and food stamps. So even if an illegal hasn't obtained government assistance chances are good they are forcing someone else to do so.

Yes there would be an adjustment period as companies sought to replace the illegals in their work forces, but we would adjust. Wages would return to the normal supply and demand cycle and with more jobs available many people would be able to get off social programs. So on one hand wages would rise, increasing tax revenues, at the same time jobs held by illegals who aren't paying taxes, and whose employers aren't paying taxes, would be converted to legal jobs and both employer and employee would now be paying their taxes, so again revenues would rise. On the inverse the needs for social programs would be decreased saving revenue for other needs.

E-Verify should be the law of the land. Any company caught with illegal workers should be shut down for 60 to 90 days, even if those workers are being used by a subcontractor. (This is how corporate America, including Trump get's around the law. They just blame it on the subcontractor).

We also need a very simple change in the wording of our immigration law. There is already an exception when a diplomat has a child while stationed here. All we need to do is add language stating that if you aren't here legally AND with the intent of immigrating, then your child is NOT a citizen.

I have no issue with immigration. We are ALL immigrants here. But the illegals are distorting the economy and creating a massive drain on government resources.
Good read. I would like to add the amount of dollars sent back across the border that is tax free is having a negative impact on our currency as well.

Dec 2016
Canada
Maybe Sessions is too stupid or too dishonest to admit that most of the US "illegal" problem are people overstaying VISA's/NOT "sneaking across the border!"

Most of the US immigration/refugee problems could be solved proactively: stop acting like you have some goddammed right to run the affairs of North and South America (or the rest of the world)! The neverending regime changes, military coups, death squads, contradictory drug policies etc. is what drives the first generations of a family to abandon their homelands. When, or if they make it, then they try to get other family members in, but let's not be blind to how this refugee and immigration crisis started and why it is getting worse today.

You can find this out if you talk to them. It's easy, but first you have to live in a neighbourhood where there's lots of people who've come from all over the world, and ask them:"why did you leave home?" The vast majority did not have a burning desire to abandon family and long family ties that are generations-old. It was either leave or die, or even if the situation in the homeland was not critical, it was an expectation that hunger and poverty would get worse/not better.

Don't kid yourself about that Statue of Liberty bullshit! Most immigrants have come to the west to escape/not because washing dishes or working in a meat-packing plant in America for below-minimum wages is such a wonderful opportunity!