Cultural assimilation

Sep 2018
cleveland ohio
Immigrant assimilation is a complex process in which immigrants not only fully integrate themselves into a new country but also lose aspects, perhaps even all of their heritage. Social scientists rely on four primary benchmarks to assess immigrant assimilation: socioeconomic status, geographic distribution, second language attainment, and intermarriage.[3] William A.V. Clark defines immigrant assimilation as "a way of understanding the social dynamics of American society and that it is the process that occurs spontaneously and often unintended in the course of interaction between majority and minority groups."
Should immigrants be expected to adopt certain Western Values of Tolerance and Secularism, should they be expected to accept that they must respect other cultures, respect our constitution, and respect the rights of others for example women's rights , is it intolerant to expect people from intolerant cultures to be tolerant?
Less well known is the paradox of tolerance: Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. — In this formulation, I do not imply, for instance, that we should always suppress the utterance of intolerant philosophies; as long as we can counter them by rational argument and keep them in check by public opinion, suppression would certainly be unwise. But we should claim the right to suppress them if necessary even by force; for it may easily turn out that they are not prepared to meet us on the level of rational argument, but begin by denouncing all argument; they may forbid their followers to listen to rational argument, because it is deceptive, and teach them to answer arguments by the use of their fists or pistols. We should therefore claim, in the name of tolerance, the right not to tolerate the intolerant. We should claim that any movement preaching intolerance places itself outside the law, and we should consider incitement to intolerance and persecution as criminal, in the same way as we should consider incitement to murder, or to kidnapping, or to the revival of the slave trade, as criminal.”

― Karl Raimund Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies

Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
The legal immigrants I know and work with have assimilated well and quickly

The ILLEGAL immigrants on the other hand, should be sent home. yOu cannot assimilate into a nation, when your first act is to violate the laws of that nation.

(All I say is knock on the door and wait for the invitation to enter)

KnightOfSappho

Forum Staff
Feb 2007
New York
I believe that people should be allowed to think whatever they want. There is no thought police. If a person wants to be in tolerant, then they are welcome to be intolerant as long as they stay within the confines of the law. When they believe conflicts with the law, they have to follow the law just like everyone else.

Intolerance must certainly be met with counter arguments and logic, but at any moment if the law is crossed front by the colored or the intolerant the appropriate steps should be taken.

Nov 2013
NM
The legal immigrants I know and work with have assimilated well and quickly

The ILLEGAL immigrants on the other hand, should be sent home. yOu cannot assimilate into a nation, when your first act is to violate the laws of that nation.

(All I say is knock on the door and wait for the invitation to enter)
So by that logic, should the Vikings, Spanish, Portuguese, French, Dutch & Britons & others have been sent packing from the New World? What is the essential difference between the first case & these? Is there one?

Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
Yes be tolerant of Legal not Illegal

Calling an Illegal immigrant undocumented immigrant is like calling a bank robbery an undocumented withdrawal.

Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
So by that logic, should the Vikings, Spanish, Portuguese, French, Dutch & Britons & others have been sent packing from the New World? What is the essential difference between the first case & these? Is there one?
You are correct.. but I am a Native American I was born in Shelbyville, TN thus I am a NATIVE to this land

I don't know anyone that immigrated here in 1600s and 1700s

Sep 2015
Stage Left
They are EXACTLY the same thing...

illegal immigrants violated Federal Laws

Bank robbers violate federal laws.

no difference
you are about as smart as a bag of shit sandwiches.......

being undocumented is not the same as robbing a bank.

get a grip, take your meds, drink water and go away.

Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
you are about as smart as a bag of shit sandwiches.......

being undocumented is not the same as robbing a bank.

get a grip, take your meds, drink water and go away.

One is more extreme than the other.

But they are the same, BOTH ARE FEDERAL CRIMES