Dangerous floods leave Plains, Midwest 'at the mercy of Mother Nature'

Oct 2010
Colorado
Exactly the scenario predicted by climate models, stagnant weather systems whether drought or floods.

Dangerous floods leave Plains, Midwest 'at the mercy of Mother Nature'
"This is a very catastrophic, not-yet-over scenario that we're dealing with," a lawmaker says as historic floods threaten to worsen.
...The Army Corps of Engineers has been releasing 275,000 cubic feet of water per second from the Keystone Dam, which protects Tulsans from the waters of Keystone Lake and the Arkansas and Cimarron rivers upstream.​
Authorities warned Tuesday that the release could raise standing floodwaters by more than a foot in Tulsa and the communities of Sand Springs and Bixby.​
..."We are planning for and preparing for the flood of record, and we think everybody along the Arkansas River corridor ought to be doing the same," Tulsa Mayor G.T. Bynum said Tuesday.​
With more storms expected arrive Tuesday night, "please prepare for the worst-case scenario that we've had in the history of the city," Bynum urged Tulsa's 400,000 residents.​

More: Dangerous floods leave Plains, Midwest 'at the mercy of Mother Nature'

Mar 2019
Texas
I hate to make it political but it seems like the red states are taking a beating.

Mississippi River flooding is longest-lasting since Great Flood of 1927

https://www.usatoday.com/.../mississippi-river-flooding...since...flood.../1261049001/

17 hours ago - Flooding in at least 8 states along portions of the Mississippi River – due to relentless, record-breaking spring rainfall – is the longest-lasting since the "Great Flood" of 1927, the National Weather Service said. ... The weather service said this is the longest continuous stretch ...

Jun 2018
South Dakota
We're on the White river is SW Mo. the levels here are under control even tho the rainfall average so far this year is 8" above normal. We've see the Arkansas at flood stage before. One of the problem is maintaining the ship channel that runs all the way to Catoosa near Tulsa. If that breaks down the flooding will get really bad around Little Rock.

Jun 2018
South Dakota
I hate to make it political but it seems like the red states are taking a beating.

Mississippi River flooding is longest-lasting since Great Flood of 1927
https://www.usatoday.com/.../mississippi-river-flooding...since...flood.../1261049001/

17 hours ago - Flooding in at least 8 states along portions of the Mississippi River – due to relentless, record-breaking spring rainfall – is the longest-lasting since the "Great Flood" of 1927, the National Weather Service said. ... The weather service said this is the longest continuous stretch ...
Don't worry, the Blue state of Kalifornia makes up for it in spades.
The people in the flyover red states are resilient and seem to thrive on adversity.

Mar 2019
Texas
Don't worry, the Blue state of Kalifornia makes up for it in spades.
The people in the flyover red states are resilient and seem to thrive on adversity.
It looks like thriving is beside the point and they need to be able to float. I bet folks start carrying life jackets in their vehicles and beds. I would.

Jun 2018
South Dakota
It looks like thriving is beside the point and they need to be able to float. I bet folks start carrying life jackets in their vehicles and beds. I would.
Boats. There are probably more small boats per capita pop than anywhere around. There are ad hoc groups who hit the water when flooding happens who know the area and the people. There was another group in Okla that had four bys with hi flotation tires who made the rounds pulling trees off houses, cars and clearing roads for emergency vehicles etc.
One guy told me in jest that his concern was getting out of the storm shelter before it filled with water and having a roof to crawl up on when it does!!

Mar 2019
Texas
Boats. There are probably more small boats per capita pop than anywhere around. There are ad hoc groups who hit the water when flooding happens who know the area and the people. There was another group in Okla that had four bys with hi flotation tires who made the rounds pulling trees off houses, cars and clearing roads for emergency vehicles etc.
One guy told me in jest that his concern was getting out of the storm shelter before it filled with water and having a roof to crawl up on when it does!!
Those dams do ok until the waves crash them in the wind or the water starts to flow over the top then it is just a matter of time before they fail.