Daylight Savings Time: Yay or Nay

Dec 2015
Arizona
So last night? Your clocks? Spring ahead? NOPE--not in Arizona. Here's a little history to ponder and then let us know what you think.....that includes Canadians! Here we go.

Dear America, (and Canada)

It's us, Arizona.
It's the time of year to remind you that we'll be skipping that whole daylight-saving time change at 2 a.m. Sunday, March 10. When you wake up an hour short, we'll be sleeping in instead of moving our clocks ahead.

We haven't switched between standard and daylight-saving time since 1968, enjoying 51 years of time standing still. Please keep your socio-political jokes to yourself.

Every year as DST approaches, we're relaxing at a spring-training game and daydreaming about going to San Diego this summer when someone comes up and asks, "Why don't you guys move time like everyone else does? What, you can't spare an hour?"

We don't want any more daylight, thanks
No, we can't. It wouldn't be a problem now, but consider summer, which is what we're known for. While many of you bemoan your 90-degree days with 90 percent humidity, the mercury in the desert is routinely soaring over 105. Last thing we want is the sun hanging around even later than usual.
If we moved to DST, the sun would rise later. But we like the morning. It's not too hot yet. We can even walk the dog. But evenings? Man, it's a scorcher. That sun just needs to disappear, you know?

Arizona is not alone on this time-changing business. Over the years, more than a dozen states have introduced bills to opt out of the 1966 Uniform Time Act. They've learned, like we have, that it's nice to have a hands-off policy when it comes to clocks.
But part of Arizona does go with the time flow. The Navajo Nation makes the changes each year, ensuring that residents of the reservation (which spans three states) stay on the same schedule.
• Daylight saving was ostensibly started to save energy, but it turned out people enjoyed having an extra hour of daylight after work. Except in Arizona, where sunlight only extends the heat-related misery.

• The Navajo Reservation observes daylight-saving time; the Hopi Reservation does not. The Navajo Reservation surrounds the Hopi Reservation, so if on Monday you drive from Flagstaff to Gallup through Tuba City and Ganado, you'll change time on four occasions.

• Western Indiana used to be even more confusing as some counties and cities observed daylight saving while others did not. The Energy Policy Act of 2005 put an end to that foolishness, leaving Arizona as the only two-timing state, so to speak.

• Be happy that in 1905, the British roundly ignored builder William Willett's proposal to push clocks ahead 20 minutes each Sunday in April and roll them back in similar increments in September.
• The first use of daylight saving dates to July 1908 in Port Arthur (now Thunder Bay), Canada. Despite the commercial possibilities, the city holds no daylight-saving parades nor sells "Birthplace of DST" shot glasses.

• The U.S. first adopted daylight-saving time, called "Fast Time," in 1918 in support of the war effort. It was repealed seven months later.

• On Feb. 9, 1942, Americans set their clocks an hour ahead and kept them there until Sept. 30, 1945. It was officially War Time, with zones reflecting the change (Arizona, for example, was on Mountain War Time).

• China may or may not manipulate its currency, but it does mess with the clock. Though spread over five time zones, China recognizes only one, Beijing time. It is supposed to promote unity, but tell that to those who live in the far west when the summer sun sets as late as midnight.
• More than 70 countries observe daylight-saving time. No one is sure just how much daylight is saved, globally, each year, though physics indicates none.

• It is daylight-saving time, not daylight-savings time. So it is decreed by those who spend inordinate amounts of time policing words.

Why Arizona doesn't observe daylight-saving time

Nov 2012
nirvana
So last night? Your clocks? Spring ahead? NOPE--not in Arizona. Here's a little history to ponder and then let us know what you think.....that includes Canadians! Here we go.

Dear America, (and Canada)

It's us, Arizona.
It's the time of year to remind you that we'll be skipping that whole daylight-saving time change at 2 a.m. Sunday, March 10. When you wake up an hour short, we'll be sleeping in instead of moving our clocks ahead.

We haven't switched between standard and daylight-saving time since 1968, enjoying 51 years of time standing still. Please keep your socio-political jokes to yourself.

Every year as DST approaches, we're relaxing at a spring-training game and daydreaming about going to San Diego this summer when someone comes up and asks, "Why don't you guys move time like everyone else does? What, you can't spare an hour?"

We don't want any more daylight, thanks
No, we can't. It wouldn't be a problem now, but consider summer, which is what we're known for. While many of you bemoan your 90-degree days with 90 percent humidity, the mercury in the desert is routinely soaring over 105. Last thing we want is the sun hanging around even later than usual.
If we moved to DST, the sun would rise later. But we like the morning. It's not too hot yet. We can even walk the dog. But evenings? Man, it's a scorcher. That sun just needs to disappear, you know?

Arizona is not alone on this time-changing business. Over the years, more than a dozen states have introduced bills to opt out of the 1966 Uniform Time Act. They've learned, like we have, that it's nice to have a hands-off policy when it comes to clocks.
But part of Arizona does go with the time flow. The Navajo Nation makes the changes each year, ensuring that residents of the reservation (which spans three states) stay on the same schedule.
• Daylight saving was ostensibly started to save energy, but it turned out people enjoyed having an extra hour of daylight after work. Except in Arizona, where sunlight only extends the heat-related misery.

• The Navajo Reservation observes daylight-saving time; the Hopi Reservation does not. The Navajo Reservation surrounds the Hopi Reservation, so if on Monday you drive from Flagstaff to Gallup through Tuba City and Ganado, you'll change time on four occasions.

• Western Indiana used to be even more confusing as some counties and cities observed daylight saving while others did not. The Energy Policy Act of 2005 put an end to that foolishness, leaving Arizona as the only two-timing state, so to speak.

• Be happy that in 1905, the British roundly ignored builder William Willett's proposal to push clocks ahead 20 minutes each Sunday in April and roll them back in similar increments in September.
• The first use of daylight saving dates to July 1908 in Port Arthur (now Thunder Bay), Canada. Despite the commercial possibilities, the city holds no daylight-saving parades nor sells "Birthplace of DST" shot glasses.

• The U.S. first adopted daylight-saving time, called "Fast Time," in 1918 in support of the war effort. It was repealed seven months later.

• On Feb. 9, 1942, Americans set their clocks an hour ahead and kept them there until Sept. 30, 1945. It was officially War Time, with zones reflecting the change (Arizona, for example, was on Mountain War Time).

• China may or may not manipulate its currency, but it does mess with the clock. Though spread over five time zones, China recognizes only one, Beijing time. It is supposed to promote unity, but tell that to those who live in the far west when the summer sun sets as late as midnight.
• More than 70 countries observe daylight-saving time. No one is sure just how much daylight is saved, globally, each year, though physics indicates none.

• It is daylight-saving time, not daylight-savings time. So it is decreed by those who spend inordinate amounts of time policing words.

Why Arizona doesn't observe daylight-saving time
And in another opinion. For those of us who work outside in colder environments. When we lose daylight saving time every year, it actually causes a sense of depression. You get up early, it's dark and cold. You get off work in the afternoon, it's dark and cold. It feels like your entire existence is in the dark, and cold.

It is very refreshing to go to work as the sun is starting to rise, and the drive home in the afternoon is in the light, and you sill have time to do things you would not necessarily have time to do in the winter. I would like to keep my saving time hours year round. The hour of sleep I lost this morning is of no consequence in my life. Here's a quick tip for those who find that a problem:

Go to bed an hour earlier that night.

It's a great day. The trees are starting to bloom, the daffodils are coming up, the grass is starting togreen up, I will be planting my garden soon, I will have extra light hours in the evenings to do things around the house, and more time with the grandkids.

Sorry Clara.

The case for permanent daylight savings time

Last edited:
Apr 2014
redacted
The Arizona scenario is valid, but not for everyone such as North Dakota who likes the sun up. For them the year is 9 months of snow with 3 months of bad sledding. A little extra sunshine is nice. :)

Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
And in another opinion. For those of us who work outside in colder environments. When we lose daylight saving time every year, it actually causes a sense of depression. You get up early, it's dark and cold. You get off work in the afternoon, it's dark and cold. It feels like your entire existence is in the dark, and cold.

It is very refreshing to go to work as the sun is starting to rise, and the drive home in the afternoon is in the light, and you sill have time to do things you would not necessarily have time to do in the winter. I would like to keep my saving time hours year round. The hour of sleep I lost this morning is of no consequence in my life. Here's a quick tip for those who find that a problem:

Go to bed an hour earlier that night.

It's a great day. The trees are starting to bloom, the daffodils are coming up, the grass is starting togreen up, I will be planting my garden soon, I will have extra light hours in the evenings to do things around the house, and more time with the grandkids.

Sorry Clara.

The case for permanent daylight savings time

So adjust your schedule.

Jul 2018
Trump World! Where the circus is always in town.
assassin as are time zones

I have never understood the "need" for either.

Apr 2013
La La Land North
Here's a lesser known fact. DST was started in a few towns in Canada 8 years before the Germans did it in 1916. I can't find the rational for that right now.

But the world got the idea from Germany who did this during the war so that factories could have more hours of sunlight thus save on electricity. I have never figured out why they didn't just start the work shifts earlier. I guess people were too stupid to figure out that changing the label of the time doesn't really change the time.

There have been ongoing reports up here that California, Oregon and Washington St. are going to stay on DST year round. Our premier has said that if they do, we will too.

I would love that.