Dear Straight Person

Nov 2012
Lebanon, TN
Nov 2012
Kekistan
I just read an article that says to me. "I am gay and your not putting me on the pedestal I deserve"

Reactions: 1 person

imaginethat

Forum Staff
Oct 2010
Colorado
Aug 2017
Bakersfield
I'm not really seeing the point of the thread, sure we get it Homosexuals want to be accepted and for the most part they are. Anyone can cherry pick stories here, and stories there, but overall the acceptance level in the US is pretty good.

Jan 2017
Michigan
Once my wife and I were participating in a small group at an evangelical church. We were discussing conflict resolution within the Christian community. I raised the question: "What will you do if a gay couple shows up wanting to visit this church? How would you respond?"

The group leader took the opportunity to remind me that "homosexuality is a sin."
I said, "So is unkindness; now answer the question. What would you do?"
He said, "Well... yeah... I guess you're right. I'd have to let them in. But... the thought of them sitting in my church hugging and kissing one another... eeeeew! It would give me the willies."

My first thought was: If two people are "hugging and kissing" during a church service, except at a wedding, what difference would it make? That kind of public behavior in a closed meeting is inappropriate, overboard and impolite for anyone. Get a room.

My second thought was: Sadly you don't really know anything about these people if that is your only concept of what it means to be gay.

My third thought was: If that is your only pervasive thought to the point that you couldn't get anything else out of the service, then it seems to me that you're the one with the problem.

I didn't verbalize any of these thoughts because I didn't want to derail the whole group meeting by going down a rabbit hole with this guy. But my wife and I didn't stay much longer in that church.
Treat em like any other sinner tell them repentance is the only way to save their life. They would not be allowed to continue in their unrepentant lifestyle, they would be asked to leave period.

Jan 2017
Michigan
I'm not really seeing the point of the thread, sure we get it Homosexuals want to be accepted and for the most part they are. Anyone can cherry pick stories here, and stories there, but overall the acceptance level in the US is pretty good.
Better than say in Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan.