Dear Trump supporters: Does the truth even matter to you? I mean real truth not alternate facts....

Dec 2018
Wisconsin
In every case you presented, people are not denying the truth. Trump supporters literally deny the truth. Illegal immigration is on the decline, but Trump supporters say it’s worse than ever, even though that is clearly not the truth.

Conversely, Cigarette smokers do not say that smoking is good for you. They know it’s not and would never claim it is. You’re talking about totally different situations.
So yes, you're being purposely obtuse

May 2018
Chicago
So yes, you're being purposely obtuse
No, I'm not. I'm pointing out that your explanations and comparisons are not applicable to Trump supporters. In the case of cigarette smokers, there is just about no one who would claim that smoking is good for you. People know that its bad for them but do it anyway, because it obviously gives them some personal pleasure or they are simply addicted.

Trump supporters on the other hand, will blatantly deny the truth, or simply refuse to seek it out. Maybe this article will help:

The Psychology Behind Donald Trump's Unwavering Support

Indeed, the article in the OP illustrates a lack of willingness by Trump supporters to even look at the truth. Cigarette smokers and indeed people in the other scenarios you presented, are not doing that.

Last edited:
Dec 2013
Beware of watermelons
The new american left is heavily influenced by postmodernist philosophy. These postmodernist are intertwined into the education system. In postmodernism there is no truth, no reality. Just your truth, reality. Combine this w/ Alinskys philosophy being heavily applied and we are in a very, very dangerous times.

No longer is civil discord even on the table, especially w/ the new american left.

So, the question is "does truth matter?"

Whos truth?

Oct 2010
Colorado
The new american left is heavily influenced by postmodernist philosophy. These postmodernist are intertwined into the education system. In postmodernism there is no truth, no reality. Just your truth, reality. Combine this w/ Alinskys philosophy being heavily applied and we are in a very, very dangerous times.

No longer is civil discord even on the table, especially w/ the new american left.

So, the question is "does truth matter?"

Whos truth?
Whose truth, indeed.

When has it ever been different?

Dec 2015
Arizona
Truth doesn't matter to the majority of people. It's not a phenomenon exclusive to Trump supporters. It's just a matter of what truths we chose to believe and what truths we chose to ignore. Cigarette smokers across the globe know the truth that it will likely lead to lung cancer and kill them. But does that truth matter when they reach for the next cigarette? No.

I'm going to disagree. I think truth DOES matter to the majority of people. Science depends on truth. Relationships depend on truth. Public policy depends on truth and truth is still paramount in the measure of a man. Truth and lies are a matter of ethics and most people STILL respect ethics.
Cigarette smokers make a choice. That's not the same as denying facts or truth. Lots of smokers never get lung cancer so smokers choose to roll the dice. The same is true for any addiction, including the addiction to Trump.