Dems and Reps Aren't Just Divided. They Live in Different Worlds.

Sep 2019
Louisville, Ky
It IS paywalled, but this is it in a nutshell:
"To be sure, racial and cultural resentment have been the prime factors of the Trump backlash, but it’s also clear that the two parties speak for and to dramatically different segments of the American economy. Where Republican areas of the country rely on lower-skill, lower-productivity “traditional” industries like manufacturing and resource extraction, Democratic, mostly urban districts contain large concentrations of the nation’s higher-skill, higher-tech professional and digital services."

Reactions: Clara007
Dec 2015
Arizona
Dec 2015
Arizona
It IS paywalled, but this is it in a nutshell:
"To be sure, racial and cultural resentment have been the prime factors of the Trump backlash, but it’s also clear that the two parties speak for and to dramatically different segments of the American economy. Where Republican areas of the country rely on lower-skill, lower-productivity “traditional” industries like manufacturing and resource extraction, Democratic, mostly urban districts contain large concentrations of the nation’s higher-skill, higher-tech professional and digital services."
Thanks! This is really interesting stuff. Explains a lot.

Reactions: tecoyah
Sep 2019
Louisville, Ky
Thanks! This is really interesting stuff. Explains a lot.
This unfortunate reality is especially disturbing when the voter is considered...the GOP voter continues support for the politicians that do nothing to change their lower economic status and the Dem keeps voting for the people who keep them barely above water....all so the Corporate and wealthy can keep giving the politicians money.

Dec 2006
New Haven, CT
good article - thanks for the heads up - I get the WSJ hard copy - but spend so much time online reading that I never get around to picking it up! LOL

Reactions: Lyzza and Clara007
May 2018
none
This unfortunate reality is especially disturbing when the voter is considered...the GOP voter continues support for the politicians that do nothing to change their lower economic status and the Dem keeps voting for the people who keep them barely above water....all so the Corporate and wealthy can keep giving the politicians money.
I can't completely agree. I would say that many made significant gains to due to Obama's and indeed Democratic policies across the board.

As far as living in different worlds, that is correct. The economy is indeed changing and has been for quite some time. I see Democrats pushing for educational changes to rectify that, only to see them undone by Republicans. We have to make changes for people left behind by outsourcing and technology. Every time I have to drive through Indiana that is painfully clear, just as an example. The answer is, as it has always been, to reach out to those affected and give them educational and vocational retraining assistance, not just unemployment benefits. Canada does this, with great results.

If we did something similar in the US, I think we would see major change for the better, and a lot less resentment from our fellow country men and women in rural areas. This is what both parties have ignored, but it's what needs to be done. We have to be willing to prepare our people for the future, not look to the past. The people willing to do this will win elections.

Dec 2015
Arizona
The most striking part of the study to me was the emphasis on education, which we know is the KEY to well.....everything successful. The charts supplied show that in every instance the great divide on everything from the economy to jobs to the contributions to the GDP to wages reflects the voters' educational background.

This: Today, the picture is very different. Democrats are even more dominant among high-producing districts, while Republicans now represent more of those with the least economic activity.

AND this: Household income tells a similar story. A decade ago, median household income was about the same for each party. Since then, it has jumped nearly 17% in Democratic districts while falling 3% in Republican ones.

AND this: Democrats represent districts with the biggest clusters of professional jobs. That includes tech hubs around Silicon Valley and Boston. Nearly three-quarters of jobs in digital or professional industries are in Democratic districts.

AND: Republican districts, by contrast, hold growing shares of the nation’s agriculture, mining and low-skill manufacturing jobs, many of which do not require a college degree, have lower pay and are more exposed to overseas competition.
People with college degrees are more concentrated in Democratic districts than in Republican districts.

But what we hear from the Trump supporters is an entirely different narrative---absolutely NO support for public education. None. With Little Betsy leading the charge.

Sep 2019
Louisville, Ky
The most striking part of the study to me was the emphasis on education, which we know is the KEY to well.....everything successful. The charts supplied show that in every instance the great divide on everything from the economy to jobs to the contributions to the GDP to wages reflects the voters' educational background.

This: Today, the picture is very different. Democrats are even more dominant among high-producing districts, while Republicans now represent more of those with the least economic activity.

AND this: Household income tells a similar story. A decade ago, median household income was about the same for each party. Since then, it has jumped nearly 17% in Democratic districts while falling 3% in Republican ones.

AND this: Democrats represent districts with the biggest clusters of professional jobs. That includes tech hubs around Silicon Valley and Boston. Nearly three-quarters of jobs in digital or professional industries are in Democratic districts.

AND: Republican districts, by contrast, hold growing shares of the nation’s agriculture, mining and low-skill manufacturing jobs, many of which do not require a college degree, have lower pay and are more exposed to overseas competition.
People with college degrees are more concentrated in Democratic districts than in Republican districts.

But what we hear from the Trump supporters is an entirely different narrative---absolutely NO support for public education. None. With Little Betsy leading the charge.
This trend is also blatantly clear in the "Faux News" Phenomenon, in that believing data of dubious content becomes relatively easy when not motivated to learn and expand knowledge. The lower the education and desire to increase it the more prone to propaganda.

Dec 2015
Arizona
This trend is also blatantly clear in the "Faux News" Phenomenon, in that believing data of dubious content becomes relatively easy when not motivated to learn and expand knowledge. The lower the education and desire to increase it the more prone to propaganda.
Can you explain to me why anyone would WANT to be stupid? Would choose to be stupid?
And yet---there are millions of them.